Odd boost issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd boost issue?

Well over night it appears something funky is going on with my boost, Running a stg2+ vast tune, spiking at 18lbs and holding 15-16 to redline,

Last night i did a hard pull and it seemed fine, pull into town and im only boosting about 6lbs? so i figure maybe i could thrown into limp mode. Shut the car off and came out today to go for another rip, boost was back only when im at wot and it hits full boost my guage needle flutters like its bouncing at 16psi?? what could cause this, i have an autobahn TB boost, no F hose, brand new 710n's

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Kevin
    Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Re: Odd boost issue?

Originally posted by fazda View Post
    Well over night it appears something funky is going on with my boost, Running a stg2+ vast tune, spiking at 18lbs and holding 15-16 to redline,

Last night i did a hard pull and it seemed fine, pull into town and im only boosting about 6lbs? so i figure maybe i could thrown into limp mode. Shut the car off and came out today to go for another rip, boost was back only when im at wot and it hits full boost my guage needle flutters like its bouncing at 16psi?? what could cause this, i have an autobahn TB boost, no F hose, brand new 710n's

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Kevin
    Bent valve or broken spring.

Comment

as in my DVs bent spring/valve?
      Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

Check your boost gauge air lines. That's common when you don't have a regulating T-fitting for your gauge.
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
        (403) 690-7135
        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

I will double over all my lines, i picked up the vdo guage from apr, all was fine up until the message i sent you last night lol then it all went to ****!

it seems to pull hard still but the boost needle is fluttering big time, which it never did until late last night.

ugh damn this car!
          Kevin

Comment

You jinxed yourself

You could do a pressure test, but if you don't feel the shuttering and it's just in the gauge, then it's likely the T-fitting or a boost gauge air line leak.
            Last edited by The_Jerbel; 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM.
            Jordan
            Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

i do feel a slight shuttering or at least i think i do. fack! haha totally jinxed myself, i will check my lines and do a pressure test, i didn't see anything fancy about the t-fitting, looked like a plain old t-fitting to me, its just odd how it worked well for a week and then started acting weird. ill double check and do a pressure test.

Still hauls ass, just has me slightly concerned. as able to pull quite easily on my buddies colbalt ss, felt good.
              Kevin

Comment

have you done a pressure test to ensure theres no leak somewhere?
                Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

^ See the post right above yours
                  Jordan
                  Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

Kevin,

It's quite common for a car to show the weak links in the charge-air system after significantly upping the boost pressure. Sometimes it take a couple of days, or even a week, before the weak link pops.

You probably had a weak hose or connection in the boost gauge system, and it let go after a week of driving with the increased giggle sauce.
                    Last edited by The_Jerbel; 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM.
                    Jordan
                    Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

i will be doing a pressure test soon and go from there. The giggle was still well worth it
                      Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X