S4 RP turbo failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S4 RP turbo failures

Not looking too good for the RP boys on the S4 front, maybe they need to whip their little Chinese hands harder

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...to-Enthusiasts

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...d=12&styleid=8
    "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Re: S4 RP turbo failures

fucking racist, bro.

disgusting.
    Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

I missed you too Luunta

Comment

i think someone on here is using those turbos in thier S4

really tho. i read on there they are making new revisions to them to fix issues.. okay good

now where are borg warners made?? in germany?? or in china?? or made in china and assembled in germany???

everything is freaking made in asia now..

big crap about control arms a while back and this brand vs this brand.. end of the day they were all made in the same factory in taiwan LOL

Comment

Are BW turbos made in China? Sure, however the parent company's quality control is the deciding factor. Obviously RP released a flawed product for the S4's. Let me ask you a question, if you heard of multiple failures on a product who's install involves pulling the engine, would you take a chance on them just because they claim that they're fixing their seal issue? Sorry, but I wouldn't and it looks like a lot of the S4 guys seem to think the same.

If anyone here wants to strap a set on, knock yourselves out. However if I was debating buying a set I know I would like to see this info in order to make an informed decision.
          Last edited by Mister T; 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I was seriously considering going with RPs and then saw all these problems starting to pop up, so i figured if i am going to go to bigger turbos, i would save up and get vast or something similar
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

I've installed them on local cars, and they're still running fine, but on one car they do have the standard coolant leak out of the center cartridge plugs.
              Jordan
              Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
              JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
              (403) 690-7135
              jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

They are a tad bit louder than BW's. As discussed, the turbo's most likely are manufactured in the same place, it comes down to how much is spent on quality control, for instance: BW may have a 1 in 100 is QC'd policy, whereas RP may have a 1 in 10,000 is QC'd. I have no proof that this is the case, but most times when similar or same products are manufactured side, the quality control aspect may be the only difference.
                I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

I bought my RP Turbos about a year ago, part of the first batch through the group buy on AZ. At the time I was driving a TIP and thought I would give them a shot. JHM was really good and sweetened the pot by shipping them direct from the place they are assembled (which happens to be Richmond, so perhaps it was the hands of our overpaid, underworked, unionized brethren to the West who screwed it all up ).
                  Leap forward several months, Jordan and Ryan twisted my rubber arm and we swapped the TIP for a 6 speed and installed the turbos at the same time. I'll be honest, they aren't that great, but nor are they a complete write off. I do have a small coolant leak and they are pretty noisy, but c'est la vie. Had I known I was going to change the transmission on the car I would've gone with BW or even something bigger and better, but alas my hot tub time machine is broken so I will just have to drive the piss out of them and then swap them out when it all goes horribly wrong.
                  Thankfully I have my gratuitous Albertan salary to help bankroll my most frivolous and inane of whims, regardless of the price!

Comment

Well put Jeremy!!!
                    I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

oh look whos back posting in the audi section with his asspat......

you guys are acting like BW have never had issues with their turbos at all. thats simply not the case. RP's failing, and lets face it its a very small % of the total amount sold, is just the new 15 minutes of news.

I for one am glad to see a company like RP come onto the scene. The price for K04;s from BW is ridiculous. I dont care if you want to pull the "pay for quality" card, there is no way a pair of dinky turbos should cost you a small child. At least with RP on the scene its keeping prices honest and giving an option to those that dont want to sell the farm to upgrade their cars.
                      Team Highschool
                      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

They will correct those housings that are failing, it could of been a bad batch of cast, if they want to make money they will improve their product as still keep selling at a better price, its just gonna take time, within a year or two the quality of these turbos should improve greatly.
                        Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

yea i agree andrew.. the cost of BW K04s is one of the reasons your seeing all these new kits come out with tials or GTs,etc

if you ever see the pictures of say APR, ASPs or GIACs stage 3 kits the cost/picture of parts looks nuts

compared to getting greddys twin turbo G35/350z setup which i think costs like 2500 and includes a FMIC..

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                            oh look whos back posting in the audi section with his asspat......
                            I'm sorry are we limited to the sections we can post in by the cars we own now? Audi topic in the Audi section, no problems there.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                              I'm sorry are we limited to the sections we can post in by the cars we own now? Audi topic in the Audi section, no problems there.
                              no. just mister T.
                              Team Highschool
                              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
                              X