Audi leaking fuel o-rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi leaking fuel o-rings?

Any of you other Audi guys experiencing bad fuel o-rings that leak in the cold?

Last year it was fuel pressure regulator pissing gas onto my intake manifold, and now this year my 4&6 injectors are leaking. Only occurs when the engine is cold-soaked in our current Calgary weather (-15 and below).

It's a '03 2.7t allroad, and only has 120K kms on it, I've never touched the fuel system, so seems odd it's leaking. Is this a common Audi occurrence?

Re: Audi leaking fuel o-rings?

Rubber o-rings get brittle and crack with age, and then further shrink with cold temperatures. Yours are 7 years old, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's really not a big deal to replace the o-rings in the fuel system once a decade when they start to get old and deteriorated.
    Jordan
    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
    (403) 690-7135
    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

ha i was just about to make a post about this.

only when from cold start and car STINKS of raw fuel.

so its just around the injectors and fuel rail that is the issue? i'll just redo those when the engine comes out in a few dayus
      Team Highschool
      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
        Rubber o-rings get brittle and crack with age, and then further shrink with cold temperatures. Yours are 7 years old, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's really not a big deal to replace the o-rings in the fuel system once a decade when they start to get old and deteriorated.
        I've never had another car with this issue, kind of weird (and my Subie has over 300,000kms on it).

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
        ha i was just about to make a post about this.

only when from cold start and car STINKS of raw fuel.

so its just around the injectors and fuel rail that is the issue? i'll just redo those when the engine comes out in a few dayus
        Yeah, on both my pressure regulator and injectors, the intake manifold get flooded with fuel, and since the interior air comes from under the hood, you get that sweet gas huffing high while you drive, lol. Definitely not a safe condition to be driving in, anything could ignite that fuel and there goes your car... so if you want an insurance write-off, keep on driving, lol.

Just got back from Glenmore Audi for new rings, I'm replacing the entire bank for now, leave the other side for when they start leaking next year
        Last edited by Tik-Tok; 11-22-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

The FPR and injector o-rings, as well as the fuel feed line to the fuel rail. The feed line has a crimped fitting that eventually goes bad. I just cut it off and install a hose clamp to hold the hose onto the internal barbed fitting.

It only takes a second to take a peak under the hood and check for the source of leaking fuel...
          Jordan
          Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

thats assuming all of the engine covers are off, you have a jacket, and its not -33 with windchill.
            for now i'll just continue to start my car in its heated car bunker and not leave it out overnight.
            Team Highschool

Comment

LOL, true enough. I know as well as anyone how unpleasant it can be to work on cars in -20 or colder. I have a big frost-bitten spot on my forearm right now to prove it.

I'm just saying that when you feel like fixing the leak, the fuel feed line is the easiest and most obvious place to start looking.
              Jordan
              Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

all of that crap is getting replaced, so we'll see when humpty dumpty is back together whether the problem still exists
                Team Highschool

Comment

yep mine leaked on my s4 when it was about -25 or below.. 2 years ago when i drove it i lost probably like 10 litres of gas! no lie! i thought the car was going to catch fire.. but as soon as the engine heats up the rings heat up and no more leaky.. i replaced them all.. takes no time and is easy peasy

Comment

Working...
                  X