Extreme Cold = Gremlins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Cold = Gremlins?

Is it possible for extreme cold like we have had lately to cause issues with a sound system? I have a couple of speakers that were not working today that should be fine otherwise (to the best of my knowledge). Could the cold affect the Bose amp, head unit etc?

Let me also say that, generally, this super cold blows. I feel terrible just starting my car in this stupid weather.
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: Extreme Cold = Gremlins?

I've also got some cold issue gremlins, however mines really odd. 98 GTI VR6-power windows work fine until the car warms up. Then they don't work at all. Just started happenning this morning. Car cools down, and the windows work again. WTF?? I don't think the electronics like the extreme cold.
    TWO TON ENGINE LIFT/CRANE FOR RENT
    PM me if you need one!!

Comment

Originally posted by vee_dubbin View Post
      I've also got some cold issue gremlins, however mines really odd. 98 GTI VR6-power windows work fine until the car warms up. Then they don't work at all. Just started happenning this morning. Car cools down, and the windows work again. WTF?? I don't think the electronics like the extreme cold.

NEED MORE AVATAR PICS! LOL

oh and that is weird
      Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

My dash cracked today when I hit a bump, it was so cold.
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
        (403) 690-7135
        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

CEL came on 2 days ago, glow plugs, frost heater is in transit...car wouldn't start...thank you my neighbour Larry the tow truck guy...he's CAA!!!
          Thanks VW, for being right on top of the GP recall!
          Last edited by Geobmx4life; 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM. Reason: a
          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
            My dash cracked today when I hit a bump, it was so cold.
            Ouch!
            John

Comment

could definitely be possible, resistance in an electrical circuit is dependent on temperature, not sure if amps etc are able to compensate for large changes in resistivity cause by a decrease in temp for example but this could be part of the cause. As a rule of thumb anything below -20 I never turn on the radio unless i've been driving for a good 30mins plus and the interior is nice an warm, a cold woofer can blow very easily so sometimes its best not to risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by J-hop View Post
                could definitely be possible, resistance in an electrical circuit is dependent on temperature, not sure if amps etc are able to compensate for large changes in resistivity cause by a decrease in temp for example but this could be part of the cause. As a rule of thumb anything below -20 I never turn on the radio unless i've been driving for a good 30mins plus and the interior is nice an warm, a cold woofer can blow very easily so sometimes its best not to risk it.
                Tomorrow instead of my covered but not heated parking I'll park in a heated parkade and see if that helps. Curse this arctic air!
                John

Comment

yea no kidding, I have to throw long johns on tomorrow to walk to the U, today my legs seized up pretty good after the 25min jaunt. I always seem to get random MILs on the jetta too during the winter, as long as your speaker work when it warms up I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

At least it isn't as bad as my buddy's old mercedes, he drove me home last night and one of the speakers has this weird squeal until the interior warms up, it is the oddest thing i've ever heard.

Comment

I popped a CEL the other day on the way back from Airdrie as well, solid CEL so hopefully nothing major.

Music to permeate your soul …
                    Jayson
                    MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

my poor baron makes a bad noise when going in reverse from the cold now.. fine in any other gear.. sounds like a horrible scraping noise.. maybe a belt issue not sure why only in reverse..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                        my poor baron makes a bad noise when going in reverse from the cold now.. fine in any other gear.. sounds like a horrible scraping noise.. maybe a belt issue not sure why only in reverse..
                        my jetta has been doing that too
                        Last edited by longsock; 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Well I parked in a nice warm spot today and I have bass again which is good and all the speakers are working. Here is a weird thing and a question for any car stereo smarties; the back drivers side door speakers don't work if I isolate them with fade/balance but do when it is centered. What's up with that? Gear is avic head unit and stock Bose amp. Any way not a big deal, just weird.
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                            Well I parked in a nice warm spot today and I have bass again which is good and all the speakers are working. Here is a weird thing and a question for any car stereo smarties; the back drivers side door speakers don't work if I isolate them with fade/balance but do when it is centered. What's up with that? Gear is avic head unit and stock Bose amp. Any way not a big deal, just weird.
                            If I had to guess, you have both speakers wired to the same side. When you put the balance all the way to the right do you still get sound out of the left rear? If so you have both rears hooked up to the right channel and are basically running mono between those two speakers. If it only comes on when centered and goes away when you put the balance to the right or left, I'd suspect a faulty head unit.
                            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                            hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
                            sigpic

Comment

poor lil baron i think its a tensioner or accessory tensioner or something on the timing belt or the accesory belt but oddly it doesn't make a sound in drive which makes no sense to me.. off to an indy mech maybe or i'll DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X