To all 2.0T FSI and V8 S4 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all 2.0T FSI and V8 S4 owners

Hey guys new here. Got a quick question to see if those with the 2.0T FSI engines in the B7 A4's and GTI/Jettas are doing preventative maintenance for the cam follower and carbon build up.

The reason I ask this is because I'm looking at getting into a B7 A4 2.0T but seeing as there seems to be alot of maintenance that needs to be done, just seeing if its a feasible purchase. For example, replacing/checking cam followers regularly, carbon buildup cleaning. I'm not too mechanically inclined either ahha. I currently drive a B7 S4 but the gas mileage isnt so bad but i'm worried about repairs down the road. Any engine related problems in the S4 would need for the engine to be pretty much removed as there is not space in that engine bay with that V8 sitting there.

But now i'm starting to doubt if a B7 A4 would be any better than the S4 since its not an FSI engine. Would the cost of preventative maintenance in a B7 A4 out weight the repairs on an S4 down the road? If the cost to replace the cam followers every so often is like say less than $150 each time, thats not so bad.

Let me know what you guys think. I just wanna see whats best for me long term as i want to try and save money down the road. Gas and oil changes aren't too big of a deal for me, its the repairs that are a concern.

Thanks
    2007 Audi RS4

Re: To all 2.0T FSI and V8 S4 owners

the 4.2 v8 in your s4 isn't FSI.. only the b7 RS4 and newer v8s use FSI

the 2.0T and 2.0tsi are FSI howerver

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      the 4.2 v8 in your s4 isn't FSI.. only the b7 RS4 and newer v8s use FSI

the 2.0T and 2.0tsi are FSI howerver
      Thanks, i know that, as i stated that above
      2007 Audi RS4

Comment

there now your post count is up

i'm sure some others like meyers can chime in since he works on them all day

Comment

Hahah thanks, yeah I don't mind paying the local shops around here to keep doing the preventative maintenance on the A4's as long as its not too costly. I'd rather deal with that than some massive repair job on an S4. Although i love the S4 and its V8
          2007 Audi RS4

Comment

I dont think the cam follower's a big issue until you start modding it, even then it's nothing.

I've got 83,000 on the 2.0FSI in my GTI and i have very little wear. I've been measuring it each time I check it and i have yet to see any noticable change in dimension.

The 2.0 Tsi has a roller follower, and a timing chain instead of belt
            Last edited by GTI CANADIAN; 12-08-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyriel View Post
              Hahah thanks, yeah I don't mind paying the local shops around here to keep doing the preventative maintenance on the A4's as long as its not too costly. I'd rather deal with that than some massive repair job on an S4. Although i love the S4 and its V8
              Ah the difference between most V8 S4 owners and most 2.7T S4 owners.

V8: "I'd rather deal with that than some massive repair job on an S4."

2.7T: "Well, guess I have to pull the engine again"

From my research the V8 hasn't had any real reliability problems engine wise. As long as you don't count the chicken little crowd and the cam chain tensioners. It has it's wear items like all Audi's but I think you're worried for no reason. I don't think a 2.0T will be any more reliable or have less to worry about than the 4.2L

Enjoy your V8 rumble.

Comment

Working...
              X