S4/B5 Boost Pressure Tester in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S4/B5 Boost Pressure Tester in Edmonton

Interesting. I've never noticed anything like that before with any of the cars that I've worked with. Since the ECU is based off of MAF readings and is modulating N75 duty cycles, it should be compensating for the air density and making the same boost pressure, regardless of temperature, which is consistent with my experiences.

Interesting that you see that difference in your car.
    Last edited by The_Jerbel; 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM.
    Jordan
    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
    (403) 690-7135
    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
      The air is more dense, since our cars run on a MAF system, the charge air being more dense, the ECU compensates and reduces boost pressure
      i always beleived this was true as well. because the air is more dense it requires less boost to reach the desired CFM.
      Last edited by fazda; 12-31-2010, 09:24 PM.
      Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

Keep in mind that the ECU uses fixed desired boost pressure, not desired CFM. This is an engine load-based system, which determines the other variables. The MAF values and boost pressure are independent variables, and fuel injection and ignition timing are the dependent variables.

This means that your charge air volume changes with climatic variation, rather than your boost pressure. It also means that your turbos have to work a little bit harder in summer months to meet the desired boost pressure than in the cold winter months.

I've worked with a lot of different FI cars, including several B5S4's, and boost pressure has always been consistent throughout the year (assuming all else remains equal and the car is healthy). Theoretically, you shouldn't see boost pressure variation with different temperature or altitude, but because of unknown variables that aren't accounted for, reality is sometimes a bit different from what the theory would predict. Ryan's car is one of the only cars that I've seen where the boost drops a pound or two in the winter.
        Last edited by The_Jerbel; 12-31-2010, 10:34 AM.
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
        (403) 690-7135
        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

My car may behave as such due to inconsistent MAF scaling, I stuck with a stock MAF when I went stage 3, this caused large boost fluctuations in differing ambient conditions, now that it is dialed in, I still see a spike of 21 in the cold, where it was 23 in the summer, the car has no boost leaks as of last week. I should mention that my car does maintain boost at the same level 19psi, it is the initial spike that has changed.
          I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Did you get ahold of a boost leak tester? i also have one, if you need to test still.
            let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X