BlakMarketClash's TiAL S605 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BlakMarketClash's TiAL S605 Thread

rear seats are ~40lbs and the front are easily that each. swapping to some lightweight seats, and ditching the spare will save you a bunch of weight. Firewall material has gotta be next to nothing weight wise, but in terms of structural rigidity would play a big roll.

I would hope you're going with a strut bar at the very least to tie the front end back up again
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
      Agreed, build it to where you want it. In for the build pics, following here and AZ
      thanks, im also following your build! although the mods havent updated my account in forever so i cant post on it.
      http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...AL-S605-Thread

Sh@t happens when you party naked

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
        rear seats are ~40lbs and the front are easily that each. swapping to some lightweight seats, and ditching the spare will save you a bunch of weight. Firewall material has gotta be next to nothing weight wise, but in terms of structural rigidity would play a big roll.

I would hope you're going with a strut bar at the very least to tie the front end back up again
        If you look behind your guys secondary firewall there is a 1/4 brace that gives to top end rigidity and not the actual firewall. I debated it too, but decided to do it and start with un-necessary front end weight on my car. I wonder whats next???? Aluminum uprights?

Comment

It does have an OEM strut brace, but you will give up a bit of rigidity by cutting out the firewall. You may not want to leave it like that if you're running the car auto-x, or something, but it should be fine for the drag strip, etc.
          Jordan
          Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
          JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
          (403) 690-7135
          jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

here's a hypothetical question i dont have the answer to; what would an insurer say to an owner that modifies his firewall if involved in a front end accident that is then deemed to write the car off?
            i know for our cars now being so cheap its not AS big an issue, but if you were to do something like that on a newer car i could see it getting interesting with insurance
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

2 comments......

The fish-eye makes my brain hurt. Ditch it for the build and get a proper rectilinear lens.

#2.......cutting out your firewall to save weight is nearly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of for "saving weight"
              ~Chris[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]
              '10 Quartz Grey S-Line Avant 2.0T
              '05 Brilliant Red USP Avant - 1.8T 6MT
              - gone

"The Build" My GT2871R build thread

Comment

One other thing to add... if you do plan on doing any 1/4 mile etc you will need a host of other items to go along with a battery relocation to pass safety.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
                  It does have an OEM strut brace, but you will give up a bit of rigidity by cutting out the firewall. You may not want to leave it like that if you're running the car auto-x, or something, but it should be fine for the drag strip, etc.
                  Hey Jerbel, i need to tap your extensive knowledge of these cars with a couple questions.

1. How long should i keep my boost tube for my new gauge. and how much does the elevation affect the vacuum and boost here?

2. And do you typically boost test just the intake system at 20psi?

thanks in advance, im just getting a grip before it all comes together!

Comment

boot gauge taping from FPR.. i dunno mine is like 4feet maybe.. off the FPR through the firewall through the ECU box and down in up and around

pressure testing.. 15PSI is plenty.. even 10 PSI will expose leaks

Comment

Originally posted by MmmBoost View Post
                      2 comments......

The fish-eye makes my brain hurt. Ditch it for the build and get a proper rectilinear lens.

#2.......cutting out your firewall to save weight is nearly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of for "saving weight"
                      haha Better photos coming. anddddddddd if you met me, you would also think im as ridiculous as my actions. And like i said, im starting with all the little things and working my way up.... i mean down

Comment

Nice! I've made a device that hopefully will work like a charm with my contracting compressor cant wait to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
                          One other thing to add... if you do plan on doing any 1/4 mile etc you will need a host of other items to go along with a battery relocation to pass safety.
                          yeah true. where could i take a look at those here, website, or something?

Comment

Parts to acquire: One bumper alignment bolt, one wiperblade nut, and some deodorant.

Now for the timing, I find the approximate bentley manual way the best for me. Plus, it takes like ten minutes aswell as does a good job of keeping everything in pin point timing.

After i replaced the seals in the heads i cleaned the front of the block up a bit which was surprisingly clean already and installed the cam lock bar.

I then installed two 'saftey nets' of tiewraps and rope to insure nothing will fall off.

I also installed the crank lock pin which i guess is a mystery in location to some, but, HERE IT IS right underneath the driverside motor mount bracket. This will hold the crank in perfect TDC for me.

I left the cam-pulleys off slightly so i can spin them when i tension the belt for even tension. (the cam bar works by connecting to the end of the camshafts onto two tabs which go in one way)

The cambolt is just threaded in half way so it doesn't stiffen up the pulleys.

I then could start to prime the tensioner before i pull the pin and that tenses the belt, and spins the pulleys into good positions.

Then bottom of the wrench is pulled into the snub mount bracket

The belt is now tense and i can pull the pin and tighten the pulleys

Got all the torque specs written on that piece of paper by my feet.

I sealed the valve covers and put on my new spider assembly. Plus i put the fuel rail on with the new injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakMarketClash View Post
                              Hey Jerbel, i need to tap your extensive knowledge of these cars with a couple questions.

1. How long should i keep my boost tube for my new gauge. and how much does the elevation affect the vacuum and boost here?

2. And do you typically boost test just the intake system at 20psi?

thanks in advance, im just getting a grip before it all comes together!
                              No problem.

1. Keep it as long as you can until you're finishing up the installation. I would leave it at least 5-6 feet long if you can. When you're doing the finishing touches you can trim to length. Better too long than too short

2. You should boost leak test the intake system to whatever pressure you plan on running. If you are going to run 20 psi, then test to 20. If you're planning on 25psi, then go to 25. Many leaks don't manifest themselves until you get into the higher pressures while leak testing.
                              Jordan
                              Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                              JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                              (403) 690-7135
                              jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

sweet looks good!

have you done any mods to the 928?
                                Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X