CV Boot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Boot.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago i've got a torn inner, front drivers side CV boot and I've been variously too busy and too lazy to replace the stupid axle but now it seems I may need to drive the car to Edmonton this weekend. When I noticed this ripped boot (again, a few weeks ago) the tear/oil looked fresh like it had hapened recently. I've only been going my usual to and from work; not terribly far. I am concerned that the sustained highway may not be as forgiving.

Big deal/no big deal?
    Last edited by JPO; 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM.
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: CV Boot.

meh

just drive it.. if it drys out of grease then you'll need to replace the axle (easier than the stupid boot job)

unless its clicking then you'll want to fix it sooner than later

Comment

It make for a heck of a mess, the longer you leave it.

Comment

Mess I can deal with, jacked-up axle on hyw not so much.
        John

Comment

I would say it SHOULD not be a big deal as long as there is:

-No play in the shaft
          -And the shaft is making no noise
          Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

I had a ripped CV boot on the same side and everything and I left it for about a year. I Probably drove to Sunshine around 40 times like that and Revelstoke. When the clicking started, I just decided to take it to Bert and Jacks, took in it in one evening, about 3 hours and ~$340 dollars later, I was driving out click freee.... Bert and Jacks was about $120 cheaper than Tunedub FYI.
            MIKE
            '03 GTi VR6

Comment

Quick question; is the axle bolt a stetch bolt or reusable?
              John

Comment

Stretch on my car, assuming its the same. Boot kits come with an extra bolt.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

If you are talking about the inner bolts that hold the inner flange onto the transmission I have reused them in the past but i believe they are considered one time use bolts. There was one guy who reused the bolts lots of times and they started to back out on him but this was after taking them out/putting them in over 10 times.

If you are talking about the outer bolt or nut (not sure which yours is) then they are considered 1 time use and i would definitely replace it.

Comment

Working...
                  X