Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H&R/Bilstein springs/shocks or ST coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&R/Bilstein springs/shocks or ST coils?

Hey all,

Looking to redo my suspension and just wanted to hear any opinions between the two options. Its going on a B6 A4. Let me know what you're experiences are.

Cheers
    Last edited by stone_bone; 07-03-2012, 04:59 PM.
    2008 Montego Blue BMW 335xi, H&R Springs, ECU program Stage 1

Re: H&R/Bilstein springs/shocks or ST coils?

ST are just kw but non stainless so adjust once and leave as they'll rust up after that..

Comment

H&R! and Bilstein!!!

:P
      Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

I went the H&R / Bilstien route with my B6 A4 Avant, very level 1-3/4" drop. Nice height for a daily driver.

Comment

I love my ST's (B5 A4 and an S4) as they are essentially a V1 KW in a non-stainless body. I guess it really depends on what your goals are. In my MK5 I had HR springs, and just couldn't get it to sit low enough for my wheel setup. I swapped that out for FK coils. The STs are way nicer then the FK and I do autocross and run track days, most recently I drove the STs in mission 2 weeks ago. For me I'd go with ST's again, no question.
          2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
          Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

I'm looking at doing the same thing right now.

Ryan, how bad is this rusting on the st's? will that thread protection grease do anything to help or does the whole body rust out quickly? will they last more than two or three seasons?

Comment

you can actually purchase antisieze in a spraycan. Apply normal antisieze, and spray this stuff every couple months. Thread the collars up and down once every 2-3 months and they're golden. Just like any non-stainless coil, its all in the basic maintenance. Following those steps I've never had a set of coils sieze, of any brand. From Teins to ST's. If occasional maintenance isn't something your willing to do, buy stainless bodies or spring/shock combo.
              2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
              Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

well winter driving after 1-2 years probably will cause some rust

but seriously if you have coils (like mine (eibach) ) i've only adjusted them once and i'll never touch them again after that so meh about the seize.

Comment

can anybody compare to the koni/fsd kit? i'm not looking for a race car, just a comfortable but responsive daily setup.
                  i have that kit now and it does the trick for me... aside from the broken spring

Comment

i love my eibach coils.. they were like 1100 from tirerack.. the eibachs are KWs with eibach springs.. but mine ride comfy as stock but now nice and lowered

cupkit is a great option too but just make sure your oK with a preset height.. maybe search AW/AZ for some pics with 18s or 19s to see what it looks like to ensure you want to right look too

Comment

I have ST's on my S4 used to have Tein Super Streets before. Not as stiff but much more comfy than the Tein's. I like them a lot.
                      --
                      Rod
                      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

No question. H&R/Bilstein

Comment

I installed my st coils this weekend... all i can say is the ride/quality is fantastic for the price. they ride better than my koni FSD kit and hold the car great when you get on it. Money well spent

Comment

Working...
                          X