New Brakes for '06 A4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brakes for '06 A4

I need new front rotors and pads front and rear on my wife's wagon. Any suggestions on where to get the parts and/or get them installed? It's out of warranty so I'm sure there are better places than the dealership to get the work done. TuneDub?
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: New Brakes for '06 A4

Pads are easy! Do it yourself

autopartsway.ca has good prices on brake stuff, so does r1concepts.com

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Easy DIY.

A4mods.com has a good walkthrough.
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

if your doing it yourself.... me!!! :P
        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
          Easy DIY.

A4mods.com has a good walkthrough.
          This DIY?
          http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...ages/b5s4.html

I'm a noob at basic auto maintenance. No details on how to properly bleed and I thought you needed a special tool to push the rear pistons in all the way. Is there another write-up? I'm also looking for suggestions on alternate pads to the OEM ones with similar or better performance and less brake dust. If possible I'd like ones with wear sensors so I don't have a worn pads light on the dash.
          Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
          sigpic

Comment

No bleeding needed if you dont disconnect the brake lines.

You can rent the tool to do rear calipers for free (just a deposit) from canadian tire.

Hawk or EBC pads are a good high quality alternative to OEM.

I'm sure a bunch of people here would be willing to help out for a case of beer or something too.

Pat

His

Hers
            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

not even one small crack in any of my ECS 2 piece cross drilled/slotted rotors and this is year 2 on them. oh and with red stuff pads. I'm enjoying them
              Yes... it is a Front Wheel Drive... your point?

Comment

Found a good brake pad walk through by Car and Driver on YouTube if you're still on the fence.

Comment

Jeff, I have the brake tool as well that you can borrow.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Tool and hands? If so I got the beer. I'm sure it isn't that hard but first time I don't want to miss something when my wife and three kids are the test pilots.
                    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok, finished them off today and bedded them in. I did the rears first and pathetically took about 8 hours to do fighting with the carrier bolts to break them loose. Fronts went on in about 2hrs complete with re-greased pins and thoroughly cleaned calipers/carriers. Now, what do I do with the old rotors, just toss them in a black bin? Thanks again for a great deal on the parts Natty!
                      Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                      sigpic

Comment

Will go faster the next round! and not a problem!
                        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread. Just did a full brake job (rotors + pads + cleaning pad-caliper contact points, and lubricating guide pins) on my automatic 2005 allroad this weekend, using a Motive brake bleeder. Im not satisfied with pedal feal, and would like firmer pedal.

I bled the brakes 1 week prior to the full brake job, and after the brake job this week-end, using traditional method both times.

Bentley manual says to use the RF, LF, RR, LR bleeding sequence, brake pedal depressed, and 29PSI.

I used the traditional method (RR, LR, RF, LF), with 15 PSI the first time, and 25 PSI the second time. Never ran out of liquid.

The second time, I let almost a liter of fluid pass through system. Used 25 PSI , Noticed very few air bubbles at first, but let the bleeding go for about 2 minutes per wheel.

Also bedded my brakes after bleeding. I have more stopping power now, but still looking for firmer pedal.

I don’t own a Roos-Tech VCDS tool yet, but maybe I should go and engage ABS a few times on a slippery parking lot, then bleed again .

Any comments to help firm up the pedal? Should I trust the Bentley manual bleeding sequence?

Comment

Was the pedal more firm prior to the bleeding or were you hoping to increase the firmness? If its the latter, I would suggest looking into some stainless braided lines as they deform less under pressure and help stiffen up the pedal

Pat

His

Hers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Originally posted by dcaron9999 View Post
                              Any comments to help firm up the pedal? Should I trust the Bentley manual bleeding sequence?
                              The Bentley shop service manual will never steer you wrong.

Originally posted by dcaron9999 View Post
                              The second time, I let almost a liter of fluid pass through system. Used 25 PSI , Noticed very few air bubbles at first, but let the bleeding go for about 2 minutes per wheel.
                              That's a little excessive, for both time duration and volume of wasted fluid. Hope you re-filled the reservoir with new fluid.

Also, IIRC, you'll need the 29/30 psi to open the bleed valves on the calipers... 25 might not be enough to sustain an open pathway for proper bleeding.

HTH
                              Last edited by PRY4SNO; 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X