uneven tire wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uneven tire wear

After swapping the summers for winters on my Wife's A4 I noticed the tires aren't wearing very evenly. That, and a giant screw in the one tread that will need to be fixed. Anyway, the ouside 1-1/2" of tread are noticeably more worn than the inner tread section. Is this normal due to the heavier car, or could the wheels need more camber? I've only seen over-inflated or under-inflated where the wear is more in the middle or outside edges. All 4 tires are more worn on the outer edge, but inner edge seems about right for wear. If it was my car I would chalk it up as spirited cornering, but my wife drives very slow, especially on corners.

Should I be getting the wheels aligned and camber adjusted before it does the same thing to her winter tires?
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: uneven tire wear

Wouldn't say its 'normal', based on my passat wagon's tires. They have worn quite evenly. Owners manual calls for quite high pressure though. My Jetta, I believe, asked for 32psi all around on OEM wheels. My Passat wants 36 psi front and 44 psi rear on OEM 16"s. High pressure for non-low profile tires.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

sounds like the toe is out of aligned, would definetly get it in as soon as possible to get it checked.
      Current:
      2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
      2013 VW Jetta 2.5
      Past:
      2005 VW JTI 1.8T
      1993 VW Jetta 2.0
      1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
      1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
      1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Any recommendations on where to take it in the NW? I won't have time in the next week to get it in to the dealer or TuneDub.
        Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
        sigpic

Comment

No clue on any reviews but there is an ok-tire in crowfoot. They could prob do it. Or could possible get a loaner from Royal Oak?
          Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

There is a Fountain Tire across from NLVW that I'm considering. I guess I could see if NLVW can do it but I've heard bad things about the service department there. I haven't went back with my GTI since they denied putting a big scratch in the car while it was in for service back in '04. I had clay bar'd the car the night before and there wasn't a single scratch on the car (yet). I probably wouldn't care now as the rock chips and scratches are plentiful after 9 years of snowboard trips to the Lake.
            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X