B6 S4- Flywheel going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 S4- Flywheel going?

Lately the car has been a bit rough intermittently. At idle you can feel the car pulsing a bit, mostly felt right in the seat. Shifter isn't moving more than normal and clutch in/out makes no difference.

It feels similar to when I put my metal skid plate on and it didn't have a big enough spacer initially and the engine was hitting the plate.

Around 2000rpm it feels a little rough too, nothing horrible, but I can feel a bit of shaking in my seat.

I have 034 street engine mounts, plugs are quite new, coil recall has been done.

Thoughts? Flywheel? Or would that be shaking more violently/shake the stick with the clutch out?

Last night I went for a drive and it was a bit rough. Today, pretty good except maybe around 2000rpm, but I might be hypersensitive and it was there already.

Anyone know what TuneDub charges for this job?

2004 B6 S4, 113,000km

Re: B6 S4- Flywheel going?

Don't forget to check MAF and TB first lot easier to check than going straight for the FW.
    2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
    2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
    2001 Audi A4 - RIP
    2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
    2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
    2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
    1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
    2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

A flywheel could be intermittant for sure. If I recall it could be up to a 10 hour job.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...h=21_56_61_105
      John
      1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
      2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

10 hours would actually be better than expected. That would be pricy, but still worth it to hang onto this car for a few more years.

VAG came up with nothing, I'd assume MAF would throw codes. What is there to check on the TB? I have no clue how to diagnose anything with Throttle by Wire.

Comment

I know the B5 you could do a TB adaptation on the car thru VAG COM or by turning the car to the prime position 3 times the third time you would hear the TB do the alignment/adapatation.

I have had 3 MAF failures with B5s and none of them threw a MAF specific code one time no code at all. You could watch airflow #s and check yours vs what you should be seeing (Check online for normal #s)
          2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
          2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
          2001 Audi A4 - RIP
          2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
          2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
          2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
          1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
          2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Just a thought... I've had some fuel pump noise for quite some time now when it primes. Any chance it's starting to go and causing my issues? Or would it fall on it's face worse at high RPM due to lack of fuel?

I'm having TuneDub come for a quick spin with me in the AM tomorrow, but I'm worried it will be running smooth, because that's how things like that usually go....

Comment

Bah, it's the flywheel. George has a really good price on the parts and I think only charges 7 hours for it. He said a B5 is more than double that!?!? Finally something this car is "cheaper" for! haha.
              Last edited by b spot; 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b spot View Post
                Bah, it's the flywheel. George has a really good price on the parts and I think only charges 7 hours for it. He said a B5 is more than double that!?!? Finally something this car is "cheaper" for! haha.
                I'm not surprised George is coming in under the expected times; he often seems to have figured out a good, efficient way of dealing with something. You may want to ask about the B7 flywheel, as I understand it the B7 flywheel is much more stout.
                John
                1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
                2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                  I'm not surprised George is coming in under the expected times; he often seems to have figured out a good, efficient way of dealing with something. You may want to ask about the B7 flywheel, as I understand it the B7 flywheel is much more stout.
                  I haven't got the quote yet, but he said he's going with a solid flywheel (so should last forever, not sure who makes it though) and a Spec clutch.

Comment

Working...
                  X