• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B5 S4 speaker sounds blown when cold

2ohm is stock, the Focal's are 4 ohm, but it doesn't cause an issue
    I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

good to know, i couldn't get a straight answer from AZ archived threads on the matter.
      ryan does the stock Bose cover fit back over them? or does the doorcard look weird now with the new speakers in place?
      Team Highschool
      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I believe you have to make a new mount for them to fit properly... Then again I always thought you had to get a 2ohm speaker to have it work 100% as well.

Comment

The 2-4 ohm wont affect the performance of the speaker, or the amp powering it.
          You do need to be semi creative to mount the speaker, as the stock audi is a 3 post mount and no aftermarket speakers have the same mount.
          You do not remove the speaker grill on the door to replace the speaker. It looks completely stock. To change the speaker you must remove the door panel and work from the backside of it. It take all of 5 minutes to replace the door panel. If you replace the stockers with a coaxial speaker you can opt to keep the factory tweaters hooked up, or disconnect them.
          Its really easy to do. You guys all have to stop over thinking this. Buy a decent set of speakers and put them in. The bose really aren't all that good. I used Morel, boyband used Focal. There are any number of decent speakers available.
          2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
          Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Originally posted by stuvy View Post
            The 2-4 ohm wont affect the performance of the speaker, or the amp powering it.
            You do need to be semi creative to mount the speaker, as the stock audi is a 3 post mount and no aftermarket speakers have the same mount.
            You do not remove the speaker grill on the door to replace the speaker. It looks completely stock. To change the speaker you must remove the door panel and work from the backside of it. It take all of 5 minutes to replace the door panel. If you replace the stockers with a coaxial speaker you can opt to keep the factory tweaters hooked up, or disconnect them.
            Its really easy to do. You guys all have to stop over thinking this. Buy a decent set of speakers and put them in. The bose really aren't all that good. I used Morel, boyband used Focal. There are any number of decent speakers available.

Perfect and precise answer

Comment

I used 3 spacers to mount the lower speaker and a quick dremel shave of a post. The top tweet I did the same as stock, just a quick dremel shave and then remade a copy of the OEM clip out of some thicker wire, slightly larger to fit around the bigger tweet. That may sound crazy and foreign to some, but if you pop the door card out you will see what I mean.

Comment

I dont have any personal experience with this, but my understanding was that by using a 4ohm speaker on a 2ohm amp you will have decreased performance/sound. It may only be at 50-75% volume and up, but there will be a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
                  I dont have any personal experience with this, but my understanding was that by using a 4ohm speaker on a 2ohm amp you will have decreased performance/sound. It may only be at 50-75% volume and up, but there will be a difference.
                  Although your statement is 100% correct, you will never notice the differnce with your ear. The power we are dealing with is negligable.
                  2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                  Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

FWIW (as my car is not a B5) I have the factory bose amp (2ohm) powering Hertz MLK 165s (4ohm) in the front doors and they are all sorts of clear and really really loud.
                    John
                    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
                    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Well, I called BOSE in the US at 1-800-231-2673 and ordered a replacement for $60. It will be shipped via UPS. The big question now is...what is the brokerage fee going to be?

I'll update once it arrives with my "all in" cost.
                      Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                      2016 .:R (sold)
                      2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                      2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Speaker arrived today. No additional fees upon delivery. Credit card says $61.20.

Will install on next "nice" day.
                        Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                        2016 .:R (sold)
                        2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                        2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                        X