Just got a new ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a new ride!

Hey gang, Here's my new ride. Love it so far besides the egt faults, air suspension issues and oil leaks.. Anyone have success opening up the egt sensor boxes and touching up the solders on the sensor wires to the board? I'm curious cause I don't want to spend $500 on new ones if I don't have to. I read the procedure here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...EGT-Sensor-Fix
    Last edited by VAG_Tech; 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM.
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Re: Just got a new ride!

Get them coded out, they are all but useless until under extreme conditions (track, towing) I also have a couple of good used that I will let go super cheap, but they are such a pain in the ass to do I would usually recommend code out or new
    Last edited by Mantis; 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM.
    I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

I've never seen the repair part before. That's awesome although mine are coded out. Nice purchase.
      2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
      Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
        Get them coded out, they are all but useless until under extreme conditions (track, towing) I also have a couple of good used that I will let go super cheap, but they are such a pain in the ass to do I would usually recommend code out or new
        How much do you want for them? I'm interested in having a back up.

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by stuvy View Post
          I've never seen the repair part before. That's awesome although mine are coded out. Nice purchase.
          Thanks Stuvy. I should have purchased a Quattro a long time ago.

You dig sucka?!

Comment

I have attempted to do the solder repair and out of the 4 I have done only one functioned. It is worth a try because it is a easy repair. I think that the issue for a lot of the failed EGTs is the design of the early boards and not just the connections. I did see that a Polish company has designed a replacement board that you solder in place of the factory one. It even had an option for a LCD display readout for the temperatures. I can't find the email i had from them or the link but search the larger forums and you should find it. I have mine coded out even with a solder repair. I will eventually get the replacement boards and do them properly and have them function again.

Comment

Originally posted by intocco View Post
              I have attempted to do the solder repair and out of the 4 I have done only one functioned. It is worth a try because it is a easy repair. I think that the issue for a lot of the failed EGTs is the design of the early boards and not just the connections. I did see that a Polish company has designed a replacement board that you solder in place of the factory one. It even had an option for a LCD display readout for the temperatures. I can't find the email i had from them or the link but search the larger forums and you should find it. I have mine coded out even with a solder repair. I will eventually get the replacement boards and do them properly and have them function again.
              What software are you using for the code out? Is it a custom flash? What was the cost if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

You dig sucka?!

Comment

J-Fonz
                I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

as Mantis said there is no reason to look further than J-fonz for tuning and the EGT delete... although i did find the link to the board suppler.

http://sidmotorsport.pl/pl/s/569-mod...bi.htmlhttp://

i will eventually do these once the boards with the led readouts are available. From what i can tell these are the same that boards that are in the new VAG style EGTs but the new version do not have the thermal jelly in them that can be remove but are cast in a epoxy resin.

Comment

Did you get it local? I didn't see any listing for local dealers. Stage 1?

You dig sucka?!

Comment

Cool intocco! Thanks for the info!

You dig sucka?!

Comment

Here are the boards, but alas they don't have any in stock. $40CDN each. Great deal! I think I will have a go at touching up the solder on my sensors, they are already hooped so it won't hurt to crack open the cases and having a look. Thanks for the info guys!
                        Last edited by VAG_Tech; 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM.

You dig sucka?!

Comment

are both EGTs throwing Codes? Also just a note you do not have to completely take them out of the car. Way easier to do it in the car.

Comment

I have giac but will be doing a custom tune once I can get on the dyno using nefmoto. You can do a lot of neat things like add antilag, code out egts and lower o2s. Then make more power!!
                            Also get in on the methanol group buy!!
                            2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                            Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Originally posted by intocco View Post
                              are both EGTs throwing Codes? Also just a note you do not have to completely take them out of the car. Way easier to do it in the car.
                              Yea, both sensors are giving faults, I planned to do them in car unless I get another set of known good ones in which case I'll crack those open too to do touch ups before I install them.

You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                              X