B6 B7 Audi Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 B7 Audi Owners

Just wondering who's had the clunking noise turning point to point and starting/stopping the car? My gut tells me it's the 3 steering rack bolts, wondering if I can buy a longer type of bolt and put some loc-tite on to hold it in place or just get the OEM bolts. Input/Suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Re: B6 B7 Audi Owners

Originally posted by petoria View Post
    Just wondering who's had the clunking noise turning point to point and starting/stopping the car? My gut tells me it's the 3 steering rack bolts, wondering if I can buy a longer type of bolt and put some loc-tite on to hold it in place or just get the OEM bolts. Input/Suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
    Control arm bushings?
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
      Control arm bushings?
      I recently had brand new full control arm kit installed. JPO, have you had to tighten your steering rack bolts? I've been reading up about it and apparently it's a common occurence with the B6/B7 Audi cars.

Just like to get some local input, because there's a ton on the inter-webs.

Comment

I recently had brand new full control arm kit installed. JPO, have you had to tighten your steering rack bolts? I've been reading up about it and apparently it's a common occurence with the B6/B7 Audi cars.

Just like to get some local input, because there's a ton on the inter-webs.
        I've not had to but I have also heard they can cause this.
        John

Comment

Just bought new bolts

P/N: N-909-461-02 x3

Hope this helps for those who are looking for the parts.

Comment

I have some looseness in my front end too, I'll check the bolts.

Comment

Just curious if anybody had subframe issues? Been reading up and apparently on our models they're stretch type bolts that are one time use and need replacing if the suspension is dropped.

Comment

I take it the steering rack bolts did not correct the issue?
                John

Comment

Haven't installed them yet. Just throwing a feeler question.

Comment

SF bolts are notorious for being reused... so I highly doubt it's the cause of your issue.

Have you looked into your suspension at all as the clunk culprit? I was thinking CV or U-joint or maybe BJ/TRE's are worth a look.

And when I had my A4 the brakes felt 'stuck' as I'd initially try to drive away, followed by a slight clunk noise... dealership said it was normal, just the ABS disengaging.

HTH
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Hmm, the suspension itself is not the clunking, I had the clunk when my DRC system was still there, got a new system and the ride is awesome, just this crunching/clicking/clunking noise now. Also happens when I'm turning lock to lock on steering wheel.

But I'm gonna check the other stuff out when I get a chance, thank you for your input PRY4SNO!

Comment

Hey Petoria, from where did you get your control arm kit and what kit was it? I'm starting to plan some springtime freshening..
                        John

Comment

I got the Meyle HD Full Control arm kit. Got it at JHM, but maybe holler at Natty for the 034 Motorsport Kit, as he is a vendor. Kinda wish I did, but I didn't know until I read more on EuroDrivers.

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...5avu5bv2bt3uq3

Look into adding the Solid Tie Rod Links too.

And I figured it out my clunking noise. Turned out to be the CV shaft as PRY4SNO had mentioned. The new control arm kit really does wonders for the B6/B7, buttery smooth suspension and steering. =D

Comment

I got the Meyle HD Full Control arm kit. Got it at JHM, Look into adding the Solid Tie Rod Links too.
                            This is the same kit (with the tie rod links) that I ordered from JHM for the S4. I bought this to eliminate clunking which actually turned out to be worn upper strut mounts!!!
                            Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                            -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                            -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                              This is the same kit (with the tie rod links) that I ordered from JHM for the S4. I bought this to eliminate clunking which actually turned out to be worn upper strut mounts!!!
                              That sound, which I know and love from my black coupe, is a hard THUNK when you go over a bump or undulation in the road surface as the strut bottoms out and hits the strut top mount into the mounting boss in the frame.

Clicking, FWIW, is usually a CV issue.
                              Last edited by PRY4SNO; 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM.
                              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
                              X