Shopping across the boarder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping across the boarder

I'm new to cross boarder shopping, so please bear with me. The lease on our Car is up this year and were looking at purchasing an Audi Q5. After quickly building a model, the price here in Canada is roughly $56,000. After building the same model on the American website the price was about $48,000. Can any one give me some insight to what taxes or extra fees I would or could face at the border? Will the $8000 I'm saving just be dwindled away with little extra bs fees? From the small amount of research I've done the factory warrenties are honoured in Canada. Has any one heard otherwise?

Any help or advice would be great thank s guys!!

Re: Shopping across the boarder

You will pay tax of 5% on any vehicle imported, you will also pay 6% (I believe) because the vehicle is made in Germany. On top of that, you will need an out of province inspection and you will need to get the dealer to activate DRL (or somebody with vagcom).

Comment

I'm not sure about the exact law, but I was under the impression to buy a brand new car from the states, you need to be a resident. Again not exactly sure, but something worth researching. Also there was alot of dealerships that would not transfer warrantee across borders. With that in mind, is it worth the savings?

Car: 48000
      Tax: 2400 (48000 x 0.05)
      Duty: 3074.4 (50400 x 0.061)
      OOP: 150
      Flight out: 250-500
      Gas and hotels depending where you pick it up: 250-1000

So you final price is roughly $54124.4 - $55124.4

Its up to you whether its worth the hassle to save 1-2 grand, but potentially lose the warrantee. Check out www.RIV.ca if you need any more info about importing cars from the US
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

My sister is a US resident and I'm driving a load of her stuff down in a uhaul come September, so there wouldn't
        Be a flight or hotel associated with the trip, so I would save a little more there. Still not worth not having a warranty though.

How about buying used (private sale) would the warranty transfer?

Comment

Yeah I forgot about warrantee, VWoA won't transfer it across the border. I think Pat is right too, you might have to have a US mailing address to buy a car there. Now, if you wanted to buy a slightly used car, there are tons of super low mileage ones close by in the states. You will save a ton if you buy a slightly used car as compared to a brand new one.

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
            Yeah I forgot about warrantee, VWoA won't transfer it across the border. I think Pat is right too, you might have to have a US mailing address to buy a car there. Now, if you wanted to buy a slightly used car, there are tons of super low mileage ones close by in the states. You will save a ton if you buy a slightly used car as compared to a brand new one.
            This.

As for warranty, I googled it quickly... Audi will honour the warranty on American cars here. VW won't for any car after 2009, but I'm not sure if that's inclusive or not... not that the VW warranty is really relevant here.
            Scott
            '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
            '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

you need an american drivers license, its not a law but its what the dealers do to prevent canadians buying them

used cars are no problem
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

If your planning on owning the car forever and can save some money then perhaps it's worth it. However, if your likely to sell the car in 2-3 years then expect your used value to be less than a Canadian model.
                Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

The car must be USA registered for 6 months to be able to import it to Canada.
                  2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                  Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

The warranty will transfer to Canada. The only thing that will not transfer is the Audicare and CPO if the vehicle has it.
                    So 90% of the vehicles sold here have Audicare on them which cover your services until warranty is up on the vehicle, this is also a sticking point when we get american vehicles in for service. As service costs while under warranty can be a little steep if you aren't used to the normal costs of upkeep on european vehicles. Think $300.00 - $650.00 for the mid-high level services on a 2.0 Q5. Plus $200.00 worth of Brakefluid flushes that it also covers.

Yes the value of the vehicle when you go to sell it is quite a lot less than Canadian market vehicles. We get a lot of angry people who want to trade in thier vehicle and are shocked that the vehicle they "saved" 8-10 thousand dollars+ on when they bought it from the U.S. is worth 8-10 thousand dollars+ less than a similar Canadian vehicle. It is often worth even less as they generally have poor dealer maitenance history that go along with them.

Hope that helps.

Erik
                    Last edited by Parts Erik; 02-07-2013, 10:28 AM.
                    Service Manager
                    Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
                    erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parts Erik View Post
                      The warranty will transfer to Canada. The only thing that will not transfer is the Audicare and CPO if the vehicle has it.
                      So 90% of the vehicles sold here have Audicare on them which cover your services until warranty is up on the vehicle, this is also a sticking point when we get american vehicles in for service. As service costs while under warranty can be a little steep if you aren't used to the normal costs of upkeep on european vehicles. Think $300.00 - $650.00 for the mid-high level services on a 2.0 Q5. Plus $200.00 worth of Brakefluid flushes that it also covers.

Yes the value of the vehicle when you go to sell it is quite a lot less than Canadian market vehicles. We get a lot of angry people who want to trade in thier vehicle and are shocked that the vehicle they "saved" 8-10 thousand dollars+ on when they bought it from the U.S. is worth 8-10 thousand dollars+ less than a similar Canadian vehicle. It is often worth even less as they generally have poor dealer maitenance history that go along with them.

Hope that helps.

Erik
                      On a side note... Shouldn't you be Service Erik now?
                      --
                      Rod
                      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
                        On a side note... Shouldn't you be Service Erik now?
                        It doesn't flow as nice.
                        Service Manager
                        Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
                        erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

^ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Parts Erik View Post

Erik
                            Does audi care come standard, and is included in the vehicles price? Or is it tacked on after?

Comment

Working...
                            X