Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping damage dilemma....

Wanted some advice...

I recently bought some wheels from a private seller in February, and had them shipped from PA. I paid $75 extra for the wheels to be packaged by the Maildock (Shipping store, like a UPS store but with every brand) and the wheels were shipped via UPS. When the wheels arrived, they were quite damaged. One wheel had 3 major bends, one had a small bend and nicks in the lip and the third just had nicks in the lip. All boxes look as though they had been thrown down the stairs, and had minimal amount of paper stuffing/padding in them. I had an estimate done for repairs by Alloy wheel repair and it came to $656.25 (One lip to be fully replaced)

The seller and I have put in a damage claim with UPS, but this is where it gets tricky. The seller dropped off the wheels with payment, and didnt fill out any forms. The Maildock put a value of $100 per wheel,($400 too little) and obviously did a poor job packaging. I later had to submit a commercial invoice and put the proper value on the wheels, so there is two sets of conflicting paperwork value wise. If UPS accepts the claim it could be for $100 per wheel, or it could be to the actual value of $500 per. If we get the full amount for the claim I am golden... but I think my chances are slim

This is where the question comes in...
    If UPS denies the claim, or gives a smaller amount, whose responsibility should the extra damage fall onto? I can see both sides (I paid extra money for proper packaging plus shipping, while he trusted a shipping company to package them properly) but at the end of the day neither of us feel that the damage is our fault. I do have one Ace up my sleeve in the way of a Paypal dispute and have a week left to file a claim, but feel that it would immediately cause problems.

Do I wait it out with UPS, or cover my ass and file a claim? (ultimately screwing the other guy over)

Coles Notes:
    -Bought wheels
    -Seller had shipping store package and ship
    -packaged poorly, documents incorrect
    -wheels damaged
    -Who responsibility??

Re: Shipping damage dilemma....

Sorry to hear. That really sucks.
    In the end, IMO, you need to look out for yourself. If you don't no one will. I'd say file a claim and be safe.
    ~Tracy~
    MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
    Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

i agree with tracy, yeah you dont want to eff the guy over, but u may have to or else he may be have to try to screw you over in the end (even if he is a nice guy). thats a crappy situation though, sorry to hear that. good luck.

Comment

That is unfortunate and ultimately this is how i would view the situation/fault

1 - Shipping company: First at fault because they were the ones that ultimately were responsible for shipping the wheels. I don't know if they are 100% responsible for packaging the wheels however, it depends if he just boxed them up and dropped them off or brought the wheels in and asked them to do it. Either way the shipping company damaged the wheels.
        2 - Seller: He is the one who should have filled out the paperwork, and made sure it was correct. I'm assuming he full well knew the value of the wheels, and it may have cost more to insure them for what they were actually worth. Not 100% sure if the costs would have been different but he could have filled out the paperwork with a cheaper amount the lower the shipping costs and overall increased his profit? Not saying this is what happened at all, however there is always the slight chance that it could have happened
        3 - You: You are the least at fault here, you paid extra to have them shipped a certain way, trusting that they would arrive in the same condition as you bought them. You can always go back to the seller if the full cost of the wheel isn't paid for by shipping because he didn't fill out the paperwork correctly for the actual cost of the wheels. You should have some sort of record proving how much you agreed upon and paid, therefore if that number and the insured amount is less than what you paid (and you requested full insurance coverage) then he is at fault.

This always gets ugly because nobody wants to pay for damages, however i would contact the seller and tell him that you are going to cover yourself so that you don't get screwed over, be honest with the situation and don't lie to him. Tell him what you are doing and why you are doing it. Also let him know that you hope that the shipping company pays and not him and that you are on his side at this point in time and want to get the shipping company to cover all the damages.

That is my opinion, hope it gets sorted

Comment

It is not your issue put in a claim, the money from the claim will go to the shipper not the reciever anyways. In the end if the claim is denied the seller can go after the company whom packed the wheels. I have had the same issue and ended up getting screwed because the claim was approved but the money went to the shipper because the shipper had to make the claim.
          Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

For MechEngg

1. Seller dropped off the wheels with the store and gave them money for boxes and to package them.

2. Wheels were sent COD,(Account on my side) so seller had no idea of the cost and no benefit from claiming a lower value. In fact the shipping company were the ones who signed the bill of landing, so he had nothing to do with it. I agree he should have taken the time to make sure it was done right. According to him he gave the worker his phone number and said to call if there were any questions.

3. I really dont want to be the jerk, but chances are I will have to put in the paypal claim next week...as I doubt UPS works that quickly.. what fun.

Comment

Ah starting to make more sense now. Did you have to set up the shipment then and call to let them know about the drop off and give them information? If so he could definitely argue back that you knew the value and should have gotten all that information set up from your end since it was your shipping account.

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
                The seller dropped off the wheels with payment, and didnt fill out any forms.

I do have one Ace up my sleeve in the way of a Paypal dispute and have a week left to file a claim, but feel that it would immediately cause problems.

Do I wait it out with UPS, or cover my ass and file a claim? (ultimately screwing the other guy over)
                If I were in your shoes, I'd let the guy know I'm waiting for the UPS claim but will file the dispute with PayPal on the last eligible day.

Bottom line, CYA policy in full effect. He didn't cover his ass and trusted others ("professional" or not) and now it's supposed to be YOUR problem? Not in this lifetime!
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Not you fault you didn't fill out the paperwork propperly. I would say to the shipper he has one week to get a justifiable resolution or you are opening a claim. You are the one who is loosing money in the end since you now have a damaged product.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                    Ah starting to make more sense now. Did you have to set up the shipment then and call to let them know about the drop off and give them information? If so he could definitely argue back that you knew the value and should have gotten all that information set up from your end since it was your shipping account.
                    I gave the seller a UPS account number, and he dropped the package off at the Maildock Store. He was a walk in customer.

Crappy thing is i recently called UPS, and he is the only one able to access the claim to find out whats happening, and even after that the money goes back to him first. Paypal dispute seems like the easiest way to go, even if its just used for transferring the funds back to me.

Comment

Open the dispute and in it explain to him that when UPS does a refund he will end up getting the money so you need to have the dispute already open so you can negotiate the refund.

Be upfront about it all.

Comment

I work for a courier company. The onus is always on the shipper to make sure their items are packaged proberly. Technically the mailbox place is responsible since they package the items. The guy you bought the items from should have filled the paperwork out himself and put the proper shipment value on the waybill. Go the paypal route. UPS probably won't honour the claim because the place that did the packing on your behalf did a crap job. Courier companies do all they can to forgo any sort of responsibility.

Comment

Not sure if it was said before, but your "ace up the sleeve" paypal will leave you high and dry. Paypal will default to value of wheels declared at time of shipping, that's what customs has at their disposal as well, so you end up with a maximum value of $400.

My Gallardo wheels were damaged by the shipping company, myself and the seller took action and were ultimately denied, partially due to the repair value being more than the entire shipment was valued at and partially due to the wheels being packaged without enough padding and protection.

Once nice guy methods failed I contacted paypal, they disallowed my claim as I did receive my shipment, and the shipping company would not admit fault, in their eyes an un-winnable situation, so they left me with it. Paypal is not to be relied upon, you are far better off protection wise if you used a credit card
                          I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

In the paypal claim centre, they say it covers items damaged in shipping; I was really hoping I could fall back on that. Im confused how a declared value could be different then the amount paid for the item which would have gone through paypal. (No shipping charges were handled by them) I had to send a new commercial invoice for customs with the proper value, so I really hope that holds up.

Comment

The new commercial invoice may prove extremely valuable. I wish you the best, I can only tell you my damaged wheel experience ended very poorly.
                              I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Working...
                              X