Carbon in FSI engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon in FSI engines?

So my one week old (to me) 07 Avant 3.2 threw out a CEL code 2 days after I got it from the dealer. Turns out it is a misfire on all 6 cylinders, which is code for carbon buildup on the valves. I hear this isnt uncommon for these engies? The trick now is to get the dealership to do the right thing and pay for getting this fixed. It literally came on 50km after we left the dealership lot. We took it back to the dealer 4 days later to get the code checked, and they reset the CEL. It came on again 2 days later. There is no warranty on the car, so here is hoping they are reasonable about it and make things right. They seem to be taking a lot longer to get back to me than I would think they should.
    Sorry I just needed to vent a little, and get anyone's feedback who has had a similar issue?

Cheers
    Last edited by Shoreboy; 03-11-2013, 11:45 PM.

Re: Carbon in FSI engines?

I know all about carbon build up unfortunately. I had a carbon clean done a week after picking up my RS4. Not sure if the 3.2 requires the same kind of manual cleaning though!
    Good luck with getting it sorted!
    Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
    -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
    -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

If there is no warranty on the vehicle, the stealership may not be the best place to go?
      Looks like you're in Vancouver, perhaps give CTS Turbo a call, see if that's something they do?
      They are located in Langley. www.ctsturbo.com - I believe they do most regular maintenance, great group of guys.
      Dubwerkz -
      E36 325i - Sold.
      E36 328is - Sold.
      TR MKIV GTI 1.8T - Daily.
      www.ctsturbo.com

Comment

Really sucks to hear.

Was the car put through an inspection at all on their end before it was sold to you?
        At least this was from a dealer and not a private sale or else you would definitely be hooped, but then again if it was a private sale you could have gotten your own inspection done on it and this issue may have been caught.

I can honestly see the case going either way, they sold it as-is so it is your problem. However it happened right after you took possession so they could have cleared the code minutes before they turned it over, knowing full well that there was an issue.

Good luck with getting the work done

Comment

i was about to say did it fall under audi's CPO warranty? if so take it back and tear them a new one

Comment

That's too bad but that's the risk you run on a used car. Hopefully the dealer does the right thing. As mentioned before, it's a good thing it wasn't a private sale.
            Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

I know carbon buildup is an issue with the 4.2 FSI and 2.0 FSI engines. I haven't really heard about it in the 3.2 FSI, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're affected too.
              Scott
              '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
              '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

anyone try those oils i posted?
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

its in them all.. i think the newer 09 or 10+ TFSI ones fix this slightly but it can still happen(i could be wrong of course)

Comment

the 3.2 is the biggest culprit of this (carbon build up) for sure . But also you could have a vacuum leak . Also the v engine fsi have a tendency to lose fuel prime at the injectors causing a stumble first thing in the morning , and even during the day sometimes after a start up, giving the multiple cyl misfires
                    sigpic

Comment

They didnt offer the CPO warranty as it would only have lasted until Dec 31 of this year (6 years after the sell date). They claimed to have put it through a 'full' inspection at the dealership. There was no way of me knowing if the CEL had been on there or not. Reviewing the records, it looks like the start of the carbon issue may have started about 10K km ago, so they knew it was likely an issue. My guess is as stated above, they cleared the code, and crossed their fingers it wouldnt show up during my test drives. So would this 'stumble' not be a carbon issue at all? Or is it still related to the carbon problem. As I said there are a couple of shops with good reviews here in town (Blitzkrieg and IB motors) that I will be going to if the Audi dealer doesnt do the right thing. Wish me luck.
                      Last edited by Shoreboy; 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Yeah I figured it was probably all FSI engines that were bad for this. From everything I've read, it's not nearly as bad with the TSI engines... Not sure if that includes the TFSI engines or not though.
                        Scott
                        '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                        '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

whats the cleaning method.. Chris didn't you say you need to remove the top end and scrub it all out with a toothbrush basically?

Comment

AHH **** that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7oYn0AE-8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R1FmTKjAEU

also on a side note.. look at those valves then look at a poster at the next Shell fillup you do.. says Shell cleans this up.. i guess it needs gas to hit the right spot though :/
                            Last edited by R_Ethug; 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I believe that is the issue with the FSI engines. They are direct injection, so the valves never get bathed in fuel, thus the carbon buildup. Apparently other manufacturers remedy this by having a little side port that squirts fuel on the valves as well to keep them clean. The dealership is calling me back at 10:30 this morning.....let the games begin! And yes, you have to take the head of and manually clean them. They quoted me $900, just the kind of thing you like to hear after just driving it off the lot....

Comment

Working...
                              X