audi B6 avant guru's please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audi B6 avant guru's please.

looking to upgrade to an A4 wagon from my 2 door rabbit (it's for sale BTW).

what can you guys tell me about them? i'm looking at a 3.0l manual trans car. i know it's basically a passat so things like control arms, tie rods are an issue, as well as cam seals/timing belt. i'm a mechanic and used to work for vw so many things aren't an issue for me to repair, i'm just not all to familiar with these audis and the daily trivial things that bug you guys.

any other annoying bits i should look out for? car apparently has a CEL for a catalyst fault. i suspect i can just run test pipes and if so, is there a chip tune i need to cure something like that up?

thanks for your help gurus!! and PM me about my rabbit if you are interested. i'll get around to a for sale post shortly.
    you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Re: audi B6 avant guru's please.

hmm, may be interested in the rabbit for my sister. ill wait for your fs ad.

Comment

3.0 can be hard on the wallet. Timing belt is a very big job on that motor and requires some specialized tools to lock the cams in place and there are many 1 time use only bolts that everyone thinks they don't need to change. If done wrong can be even more expensive. It was a very forgetable engine and wasn't available for long, for good reason.
      2.0T is worlds better and 1/2 the price to maintain. Plus it is very easy and inexpensive to make more power in those engines.

Hope that helps

Erik
      Last edited by Parts Erik; 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM.
      Service Manager
      Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
      erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

when you say it wasn't around for long and for good reason, and hard on the wallet, is that only due to the belt cost? or problems with other things. like i shouldn't expect the "common con rod thru the block on a 3.0" or anything like that lol! i've replaced tons of v6 passat belts, audi belts, touareg belts so i'm not to worried about it costing me much, other than my time and the parts. i'm also not interested in modding the car so i couldn't care less about a turbo.

thanks for your reply, Erik.

Comment

i've had my 3.0 for 4 years now as eric said the timing belt is a expensive and a pain to do, i did this along with water pump serpentine belt and tensioner. when i first got it, only other thing i did in the 4 years was the coolant temp sensor. there really is no tuning options for it JHM have a tune for it which seems to have been in the beta testing stage for a long time, there is a few guys in BC runnning it and say it transforms the motor. the 1.8t is way more tuneable than the 3.0
          but the 3.0 came with a lot more options than the 1.8s did and you get the bigger brakes as stock. if you want more noise the millteck catback for the s4 b6 bolts right in,for the sedan anyway. i would buy one again for sure.

any questions just give me a shout

jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Parts Erik View Post
            3.0 can be hard on the wallet. Timing belt is a very big job on that motor and requires some specialized tools to lock the cams in place and there are many 1 time use only bolts that everyone thinks they don't need to change. If done wrong can be even more expensive. It was a very forgetable engine and wasn't available for long, for good reason.
            2.0T is worlds better and 1/2 the price to maintain. Plus it is very easy and inexpensive to make more power in those engines.

Hope that helps

Erik
            Silly Erik, B6's have 1.8Ts

Pat

His
            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

The timing belt isn't that bad, basically similar to the b5 s4 just different locking tool, that I ended up getting it. It's pretty dumbie proof though it can only fit one way and its easier if you put in on when you mount the crank locking pin.
              Work in progress 3.0 liter S4 build

Comment

thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

I drove a 3L and it felt sluggish, the 1.8T is much more springy. Start looking for an Ultrasport Avant.

Comment

I really need you to go 1.8t or b7 2.0t your life will be better
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RobG View Post
                      I drove a 3L and it felt sluggish, the 1.8T is much more springy. Start looking for an Ultrasport Avant.
                      rob sometimes has these arround for sale lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                        I really need you to go 1.8t or b7 2.0t your life will be better
                        i'm not sure how my life will be better but i already stated that i'm not interested in a turbo car. a nice reliable daily for the fam is all that's needed. i bought an '03 avant with the 3.0 and a 6 speed manual and that has made my life better. but thanks.

Comment

You can just ignore him

Pat

His
                          1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                          1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                          1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                          2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                          Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                            You can just ignore him
                            i usually do, but this time it was short enough for the lack of punctuation and paragraphs to keep me from getting to the end.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. I typed 2.0t but really meant 1.8t. They are known for catalytic convertors, and are prone to the torque convertor codes also. I know you are looking manual but you asked for the usual stuff. They are not as nice to work on as the 2.8 or even the 3.2 from the B7. It was a very uninspired engine it didn't do anything well power was lackluster and fuel economy wasn't great either (you usually get one or the other) and yes the t-belt is pretty hated mainly due to the fact that there are just so many extra steps (removing the cam pullies) and parts you need to change it out (expensive 1 time use cam bolts) special tools for locking the cams ect. The 3.2 was better it had more power and the same not so great fuel economy along with RS4 like carbon build up and the injectors that are almost guaranteed to need replacing every 40-60k. But they have a timing chain so that makes up for it I guess...
                              Audi does forced induction engines well, like all car manufacturers they have thier share of issues (*COUGH 1.8T SLUDGE*, 2.0T Carbon issues COUGH*) Maintainence is alot lighter on the 4 cyl engines the rest of the drivetrain is fairly bulletproof.

I can pick apart most engines in Audi's lineup as I get to see the worst of them, the common factor in all of thier issues is generally previous owners under maintaining thier vehicles. Get service records, test drive it for more than 20 kms turn it off at least twice when doing so. Get a pre purchase inspection and get it done where it isn't serviced. i.e. if we look after the car take it to Glenmore. We the dealerships are absolutley brutal on these pre purchase inspections we make it worth the $159.95, there are crusty old guys in the back that can find the most rediculous stuff which also helps you drive down the price and you know exactly what you are getting into.

Hope that helps.

Erik
                              Service Manager
                              Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
                              erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

Working...
                              X