Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's good with a multimeter?

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
    Hard to say. It is deff a connection issue either with the battery or other wiring.

On another note I would not recommend to jump start a car. Especially one with lots of electrical components. Have seen lots of mishaps.

Another issue is the alternator will never charge your battery. It is designed to maintain it. Trying to charge the battery with the alternator will put extra strain on it and can cause multiple other issues.
    you can so boost any car just dont mess up the leads
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
      Is all you do on these forums is bash S4s?
      No, he bashes TDI's as well, unless its an ALH. King troll.
      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
      Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

If you connect the negative to the frame you're fine
        Work in progress 3.0 liter S4 build

Comment

K took a read and IMO i 100% agree that you have a defective battery. If your alternator was toast you would have died on the road while you were driving it. From the sounds of it your battery is not holding a charge at all. The dead give away is the fact that when you drive the car and its fine after boosting it but when you turn it off it won't start again. This is basically saying that you are running mostly off of what your alternator is producing. Be careful because if you do this to much it can lead to needing a new alternator. if you wanna be safe, just go pick up a cheap multimeter from canadian tire, hook it up to the battery while the car is off and check that it is reading around 12v. if it reads less, trickle charge it again out of the car overnight at 10amps and than check again. if it is below 12v its for sure your battery.

As for other guesses, lose connections would cause more problems than what your seeing. you would notice flickering lights while driving. Like I said bring the battery back to where you purchased it. I have sold defective batteries at work and installed them, it happens from sitting on the shelf to long. If they make a deal of it tell them to charge it and check the quality of the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
            No, he bashes TDI's as well, unless its an ALH. King troll.
            s4s do the work i just open everyone eyes. Troll would have useless information with no backing .All my info is first hand . The new tsi for ie , has a massive flaw , but for a reasonable diy can be resolved for as cheap as 79 bucks and a Saturday . Or 350 at my shop then its good for ever . If The 2.7 S4 was easy to keep going , And tdi was cheap to repair its flaws, both would also be good cars .But neither is the case . You should ask me what i think about first gen T.regs . Or Volvo xc90 transmissions, bmw x5 v8s (gen ones) , Mercedes anythings, all cars are good till they hit 80,000kms then the real crap shows its ugly heads, I just think it great that people defend a product they own because they dont want to admit it was a bad decision , we have all made decisions that suck, dont argue that your car is the best thing to hit the pavement because you own it , .
            sigpic

Comment

Some people argue that their car is the best thing because they never encounter any of the issues you see when people bring cars to your shop.

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

but like for instance you list of cars... all great choices .All have there issues but easy or cheap to resolve .
                sigpic

Comment

Lots of cars break and or fussy to keep; good point . This is more often the case with fast cars (and especially fast old cars). But, let's be clear, a personal definition of "a bad decision" isn't necessarily confined to having to spend money on a car you love. Lot's of people know what they are getting into and accept the costs.
                  John
                  1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
                  2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

sooo... back on topic... Andrew did you figure this out??

Current
                    02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
                    04 GLI low and slow OG
                    Past
                    02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
                    00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

no i was a little busy over the weekend. going to try again tonight.
                      im 99% sure it's the battery now.
                      Team Highschool
                      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by JPO View Post
                        But, let's be clear, a personal definition of "a bad decision" isn't necessarily confined to having to spend money on a car you love. .
                        A 'bad decision' should be defined as painting a TT Viper green.

he he he....

Comment

Pat

His
                          1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                          1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                          1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                          2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                          Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Can we please keep these discussions on topic, lots of jibber jabber on various subjects popping up in some of these threads.

If you want to talk about something please feel free to start your own thread.
                            Blair
                            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

andrew get this fixed ?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X