B5 S4's and reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5 S4's and reliability

Before I get a bunch of silly off topic comments, please read.

I know many of you have or previously owned B5 S4's and I was hoping to get some info in regards to their reliability.

I'm looking to get an unmolested (stock) S4 and keeping it stock as a daily driver. I've always loved B5's and I found a nice one for a good price. I've heard about how they're money pits, but I wanted to know if this was actually true or people just repeating stuff they have heard.

I'd imagine that they many of the issues they experience are due to the heavy mods that people have done.

I'm curious if they still experience reliability issues when kept stock?

Thanks
    Tint sucks

Re: B5 S4's and reliability

As I see it (from my perch on the sidelines... not an owner but know a few), issues arise from age and abuse.

They can be rather reliable when they're treated properly, otherwise you'll feel the wrath.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

I have had my B5 since new and as long as you keep up with, and the PO had kept up, with the maintenance it probably is no better or no worse than any other 12-14 year old German luxury performance sedan. That said it has one of the most cramped engine bays in existence, making it harder than most to work on and the fact that it has two of just about everything it can get expensive. If you plan to do all the work yourself to maintain it I highly recommend cutting off your pinky and ring fingers from both hands. Just kidding...no I'm serious...naw JK...no really do it.

To be honest I had the extended warranty ant in the first 8 Years the only things that went were a factory recall of the MAF and my fan control unit went and lower control arms(common on all B5 variants). Both my b6 and b8s had more go wrong in the first few years. In fact the only S4 that left me stranded was the water-pump going in the b8.

Mods are not always the culprit in breaking S4s. Mine was stage one withing the first year to stage two and stage 2+ for almost 10 years to now Stage3+. It is all about the maintenance, proper warmup and proper cool-down etc.

If you do end up getting one, I can give you digits for my hand mod guy.

Comment

I'm the third owner of mine. Approaching 200k, and beyond parts wearing out that you'd expect to wear out after the mileage and time it is great. Let them warm up before pushing them, let them cool down before turning off. If you build them up to challenge the tolerances, you break more things. But if you look at the power many people are successfully running, it shows you the quality and capacity in a stock example.

Any issues that may have existed in these cars will have been addressed if it is in good shape.

If your current option falls through, PM me as mine is pretty much stock (conservative stage 1) and I'm looking for a change after 5 years if the right buyer comes along.
        Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
        2016 .:R (sold)
        2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
        2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

^^^ This.
          intocco put it perfectly.

Comment

pretty much i'm second owner of mine but i've had it for 8years now.. 177 on the clock.. personally if you want something nice for a daily driver buy something else.. i love my car to death but thats my 2cents.

Comment

Comment

there are a good car if you have another car to drive and the s4 would be your toy to spend money and time on. And want to work on your own car .. and want something mega fast .. otherwise stick to the a4 or a gti or I would say a e46 m3 is a better daily driver than a s4 from what we see as a repair shop anyways
                sigpic

Comment

Ive had two B5 S4's, both stage 3 over a period of 5 years. Daily drove them both year round and I thought they were quite reliable considering the power. One had a tranny issue which got fixed, (C-clip on 1-2 shift fork came off) but other then that it was small wear and tear items. (CV Boots, axles, coilpacks, N75, N80 etc.) Looking back the biggest expenses were go fast parts... I absolutely loved both of my B5 S4s.

Comment

Mine is in a constant state of broken. Fix one part and another goes bad. But it's far from stock and not close to dialed in on the current setup. It was really reliable until I grenaded the stock flywheel. I have a second vehicle however so it isn't a big deal when it's broken.
                    2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                    Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

It has been said already here the biggest things with the B5 S4 are age, lack of service, cost of parts and cost of installation.

Buying tips for these vehicles.
                      - Does the guy I'm buying it from make more money than I do? Is he older than me?
                      - Does the guy I'm buying it from have extensive service records? did all of the reccommended work get done? and where?
                      - Is this guy the original owner of the car?
                      - Does this guy have kids that can drive?
                      - Does this guy know anything about the car?
                      - - WHEN! you get a pre purchase inspection at a dealer, is he strongly suggesting his preffered shop?

If you answerd no to any of those first 5 questions some alarm bells should be going off... loudly. If you answered yes to the last one... I'd walk personally, cause something is up that he doesn't want to be found and knows the dealer will find it.

I read a post by someone (On here I think) which summed up owning an older european performance vehicle. It was something along the line of factor $300.00 per month for up keep and service. Or just buy a brand new econobox for the same amount with a full warranty. For some european cars that number might be a bit light.

Here we had a young fellow foolishly want to buy a B5 S4. Which we tried for weeks to talk him out of. He had visions of making it go fast like other examples here. We advised him to have at a minimum of the purchase price set aside for repairs after he picked it up to make the car right and well before modifying it. He handily surpassed the number before he put his first 50 kms on it. (CSB.)

Buyer beware has never been a more truthful phrase than on these cars. Nothing is simple, it's rarley inexpensive.

Good luck.

Erik

P.S. Negativity aside it is still my most favorite car I have ever owned. I wouldn't trade it for anything, it has been worth all of the head trauma and finacial ruin.

P.P.S. I answered no to 1 question on my list and it cost me about $5000.00 the first year I owned it. I bought it from a customer that had it serviced exclusivley at the dealer in Calgary and would only deal with me since 2008 when we opened. I knew everything about it before I bought it and it still cost big. The P.O. was also the type who bought new switches cause they were getting faint on the lettering.
                      Last edited by Parts Erik; 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM.
                      Service Manager
                      Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
                      erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

Erik, great tips for buying any car!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I don't think I want to take the chance even with the good km's and great price
                          Tint sucks

Comment

In my short ownership I've had to replace a few minor things. CEL seems to be common. Heh heh.

It's one of those cars that NEEDS to be maintained properly. Things will wear out/break.

Worth it for the enjoyment of driving one I think... we'll see how much my view changes over time.
                            Last edited by JVD; 07-12-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

It's more then worth all the headaches. They are a great car. Don't let the maintenance scare you.
                              2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                              Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Working...
                              X