2013 A3 TDI Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 A3 TDI Quattro

Well now the gap has been filled with the launch of a 181bhp A3 TDI available in Hatch, Sportback and Saloon (to follow), which coincidentally is slightly quicker and more economical than its Golf equivalent.

If you need a further excuse to check out the A3, it’s available in quattro all-wheel-drive form, in conjunction with Audi’s Sport or S line trim. Front-wheel-drive versions are equipped as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, while quattro variants with Audi’s six-speed S tronic twin-clutch transmission.

Pricing is tight enough between the A3 and GTD to call upon the duties of a spreadsheet – The 181bhp A3 TDI will cost from £24,375 to £30,055, while the Golf GTD lists from £25,285.

Performance of the two is remarkably close, with the manual A3 recording 0-62mph in 7.3 seconds and a top speed 145mph. The GTD can offer 7.5 seconds and a top speed of 142 mph.

If fuel efficiency is more your thing, the A3 delivers 68.9 mpg with CO2 emissions of 108g/km, while the GTD responds with 67.3 mpg and 109 g/km.

In quattro versions of the A3, a new multi-plate clutch sends power from the front to the rear axle in a few milliseconds and weighs significantly less than the previous unit. Torque is applied to the front wheels by default, transferring to the rear in varying degrees as needed.

In the interest of better load distribution, the clutch is located at the end of the prop shaft, in front of the rear differential, which also helps in saving weight.

Unlike the Golf GTD which comes as standard with a GTI-like trim, 18-inch wheels and sports suspension, the A3 TDI needs to be specified in either Sport or S line guise.

Thereafter a choice of sports suspension is available at no extra cost, lowered by 15mm over standard with a tauter, more handling-focused bias. S line models can also be equipped with the most overtly sporting set-up, offering a ride height lowered by 25mm over standard.

For added appeal, Audi is offering the option of advanced Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlights on the A3, achieving near daylight-like levels of illumination. In SE and Sport models, they can be specified as part of a new LED lights package costing £2,000, while for S line models the price drops to just £795.

The new 181bhp A3 TDI is available to order now ahead of first deliveries in September.

http://skiddmark.com/2013/08/audi-la...-the-golf-gtd/

Those numbers are fantastic, it's like my dream car.

181 bhp
    68.9 mpg
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM.

Re: 2013 A3 TDI Quattro

Another car i'm guessing will never make its way across the pond :(
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
      Another car i'm guessing will never make its way across the pond :(
      I thought the GTD was definitely coming though?

IMO GTI > A3
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

GTD I think is supposed to be a 2016 model in North America.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/07/04/vw...rica-for-2016/
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

GTD isnt even in the same league unless it comes with 4Motion. If its another FWD diesel, it might as well bow out
          Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I'm pretty sure the GTD is FWD only?

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
              I'm pretty sure the GTD is FWD only?
              Correct
              2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
              2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
              2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

GTD isnt even in the same league unless it comes with 4Motion. If its another FWD diesel, it might as well bow out
                Well of course the GTD will be FWD, but you have to see whether they will have the same TDI engine, whether there will even be an A3 hatch in the NA market, if sportier options like S-Line are available and of course the price before you can really compare the two. If they offer an A3 Sedan TDI and a GTD they will be in a fairly different market and may have some price difference too with old-gen A3 TDIs starting at 37K and GTIs being below 30K to start without the TDI premium.
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Fair enough. Only reason this thing got my attention though was because Quattro TDI Hatch!
                  Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Fair enough. Only reason this thing got my attention though was because Quattro TDI Hatch!
                    Would be fantastic with some work!!
                    2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                    2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                    2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

They are selling well here, my neighbor a couple doors down has a white 5 door A3 TDI and I saw a nice 3 door S-Line this morning too.
                      Blair

Comment

Working...
                      X