Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinkng of purchasing a 2005 S4 150K

Hello guys,

I haven't been on the forum in a while, so I'M BACK!
    I need your opinions, past experience with owning an S4. I've never owned one but I found one that I like and thinking of buying it.
    It's 2005 with 150K, for $14000. God deal or bad? It's AWD, never driven an AWD before, how good is in the winter? How reliable is? Things I should expect...etc. Any info, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by longsock; 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM.

Re: Thinkng of purchasing a 2005 S4 150K

cant speak for the b6 S4, but after having a few awd cars I can honestly say they are amazing all year long. so much grip in the summer time and amazing in the winter. playing in the snow in an awd car is a blast!
    sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
    His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
    Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
    Past:
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
    2004 .:R32 BMP
    2001.5 Noggy blue s4
    2000 VW GTI 1.8T
    1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

I'd want some service records, they can be bitchy when oil changes get neglected, etc. There are some threads floating around online (one good one here) about the common 4.2L v8 issues.

quattro owns winter.
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

I would ask about service history.
        Some have issues with timing chains.. Not all, but they are super pricey to have to work on them. I think retail is like more than 5k..
        Here is some info:

http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/b...on-thread.html
        ~~TODD~~
        '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Get a leak down and compression check and I would even get the cylinders scoped to see if there's any scorching.

Timing components are going to have to be done soon at that mileage. The engin must be removed to do them. $5000 job if it's something you can do well over that if you get it done at an Indy shop, dealer would be more then the car lol.

It's an awesome car but it's a **** engin if it hasn't been maintained properly. If the previous owner(s) didn't do early oil changes and ran it hard before getting the oil up to operating temps you'll have a crap load of issues.

I owned an 07, loved the car, but am extremely happy I got out of mine. It only had 62000kms on it when I traded it in, I did 5k oil changes, always warmed it fully before going over 3000rpms, and avoid short trips in it...I still ended up developing the very embarrassing and very scary chain rattle on warm or cold starts.

If your a do it yourselfer and have deep pockets I would consider it I guess. If your buying it because it's 14k and it's an audi S4 and that's your life savings I would run away fast...
          -Mike

Comment

If the oil isn't changed frequently, the coating on the cylinder walls peel.

Chains need to be done at 200,000 but we have seen them with broken guides as low as 130,000km.

If you want, bring it in to Calgary Autoworks and we can give it a full look over to make sure it's all good before you take the plunge. The timing chains get expensive because there is a lot of "while you're in there" stuff
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

It's dolphin grey... *drool* if almost buy it just for the colour.. Haha but yeah do get it looked at. $14k is a bit high for a b6. Try to get it down closer to $12,000. That's a more reasonable price for the sedans.
              Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by theedge111 View Post
                Get a leak down and compression check and I would even get the cylinders scoped to see if there's any scorching.

Timing components are going to have to be done soon at that mileage. The engin must be removed to do them. $5000 job if it's something you can do well over that if you get it done at an Indy shop, dealer would be more then the car lol.

It's an awesome car but it's a **** engin if it hasn't been maintained properly. If the previous owner(s) didn't do early oil changes and ran it hard before getting the oil up to operating temps you'll have a crap load of issues.

I owned an 07, loved the car, but am extremely happy I got out of mine. It only had 62000kms on it when I traded it in, I did 5k oil changes, always warmed it fully before going over 3000rpms, and avoid short trips in it...I still ended up developing the very embarrassing and very scary chain rattle on warm or cold starts.

If your a do it yourselfer and have deep pockets I would consider it I guess. If your buying it because it's 14k and it's an audi S4 and that's your life savings I would run away fast...
                Couldn't have said it better myself!
                Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Welcome back big guy! Do as the others have said, ask for service records and bring it in somewhere for a full pre-purchase inspection. It can save you alot of headaches!
                  Patryk
                  Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                  08 VW .:R32
                  04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by longsock View Post
                    Hello guys,

I haven't been on the forum in a while, so I'M BACK!
                    I need your opinions, past experience with owning an S4. I've never owned one but I found one that I like and thinking of buying it.
                    It's 2005 with 150K, for $14000. God deal or bad? It's AWD, never driven an AWD before, how good is in the winter? How reliable is? Things I should expect...etc. Any info, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You should check out Graeme's '04 S4 Avant for sale.
                    http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...6-Speed-Manual
                    Better rims easily make up the difference.

Further to that, imo it's the better body style, and for sale from a longtime member.
                    Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                      You should check out Graeme's '04 S4 Avant for sale.
                      http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...6-Speed-Manual
                      Better rims easily make up the difference.

Further to that, imo it's the better body style, and for sale from a longtime member.
                      Definitely agree, and we know he took care of it!
                      2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                      2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                      2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll most likely have it checked out by Autoworks if I decide to purchase it. I'm also looking at a Benz at the moment. I just wanted to know what to expect and wow $5,000 for the timing chain....I might just stay away from S4's at the moment lol but shall see...I have to go test drive it, I haven't yet.

Comment

I have heard the chains can run upwards of 6-7k lol.
                          2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                          2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                          2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Ponto View Post
                            I have heard the chains can run upwards of 6-7k lol.
                            $5k job if it's something you can do

Much more if its at a shop/dealer
                            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                              $5k job if it's something you can do

Much more if its at a shop/dealer
                              YUK!!! k i'm staying away from S4. thanks guys! I don't have that kind of money to maintain it at this particular time, in case things do go wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X