Jon's e36 Thread - BBS content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon's e36 Thread - BBS content

Well a few of you might know that I sold my e30 and bought an e36 a little while ago. It's a 1998 328is with 174,000kms on the clock. Body is mint and the interior is mint as well. I told myself that I would save some money and keep the car bone stock for a while and go from there.
    Well fast forward to today and it has had alot of work done to it.

Here she is the day I brought her home =)

Then I came across a deal on these puppies that I couldn't pass up
    Bilstein Pss coilovers :drool:

Installed them pretty quickly, ran into a few issues (broken bolts :banghead: ), made a couple stops to the junkyard and it all worked out in the end.

Naturally considering this is my first set of coilovers, i set them to their lowest possible setting to see what all the fuss was about. Drove the car for about 4 minutes before it started getting really old and annoying. Car handled like complete garbage too. So here it is absolutely slammed to the ground, it does look pretty cool.

Well after raising the car to a drivable height I noticed a "thump" in the rear of the car, I then ordered every single bushing for the rear of the car, complete with a new subframe and new 3:23 limited slip differential. I considered doing the work myself, however I didn't want to jump into a job like this working in an old garage at my parents place with limited tools and no lift, so I got Nick at Nurburgring to do the work for me. Big thank's!!

Here is my "new" 3:23 LSD out of an M3

I also forgot to take pics of my new subframe, but rest assured it was in mint condition

Here is the rear end out of my car

New LSD on the left, old open diff on the right

old vs. new trailing arm bushings.

Old subframe out

New subframe in

Lower trailing arm bearings =)

New subframe, LSD, and all new bushings installed ready to go

Old diff and subframe

All assembled and ready to go

Everything installed

New diffy =)

Then I got some rubber

I also bought some BBS RC090 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Here is everything completed and on the car. It still has lots of work to do, but it has come a long way in the short time I have owned the car.

I am also in the process of stripping the paint off an M3 bumper and lip, I will then prime it and paint it. However the car still needs some work so the bumper is the last of my priorities at the moment. I might not even put it on till next summer anyway. By the time I get it finished it will be winter anyway

I started sanding the bumper, but then got the idea to use a plastic safe paint stripper. Considering I like to work smarter and not harder I decided to give it a go on a small portion of the bumper to test it out and see how the plastic handles it. It stripped the paint off like nothing and left the plastic completely fine!! This method will cut down hours of sanding for the project.

I still need to do a cooling system overhaul (waiting for the expansion tank in the mail. I still need to install my new brembo brakes too :drool:

and my new rad

So there you have it, that's my car, still needs a bit of work but I like where it's at right now. Will update the thread with progress as it happens.

Re: Jon's e36 Thread - BBS content

Great progression so far and the car looks really hot dropped on those BBS wheels!!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I have yet to see you driving around in this! Probably just a matter of time though considering how often I spotted you in the E30 haha. Looks awesome so far Jon!
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Well the car sat for 1.5 months due to Bimmerworld taking their sweet ass time sending me my parts. I have really only driven the car the last 2 days lol, so I'm sure you'll see me driving around soon. Say hello next time you see me!

Comment

Oh man, that sucks, but at least it's on the road now! I will for sure! I swear every time I saw you in the E30 you were always headed the opposite direction or something and I'd hardly even have time to wave lol
          Scott
          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Bone stock he said, Ha!
            --
            Rod
            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Awesome!! I love E36s! I was set to trade my GTI for a 328ci ///M package but the guy backed out!
              Careful with that plastic stripper, if you leave it on too long it will start leaving marks in the plastic!
              Also, will you be looking at forces induction? I did some research and it sounds like superchargers are the way to go on those motors!
              Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

coming along goood buddy lets cruise soon!
                Bagged 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T Stage 2 Unitronic, 2016 Tiguan R-Line , S13 SR20DET, Mk2 VR6 Project, 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

looks awesome, loving how clean it is with the BBS, they suit the car perfectly!
                  sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                  His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                  Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                  Past:
                  B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                  B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                  2004 .:R32 BMP
                  2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                  2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                  1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
                    Oh man, that sucks, but at least it's on the road now! I will for sure! I swear every time I saw you in the E30 you were always headed the opposite direction or something and I'd hardly even have time to wave lol
                    Well next time flash your lights!!

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                    Bone stock he said, Ha!
                    I know right? I should have known better

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                    Awesome!! I love E36s! I was set to trade my GTI for a 328ci ///M package but the guy backed out!
                    Careful with that plastic stripper, if you leave it on too long it will start leaving marks in the plastic!
                    Also, will you be looking at forces induction? I did some research and it sounds like superchargers are the way to go on those motors!
                    I left it on for 9 hours and it seemed to be perfect, I will also be sanding down the bumper after to remove any imperfections and begin prepping it for paint. I was looking at FI, did alot of research, and I will not be going down that road. It would be nice, but for the cost I would rather sell the car, save up a little bit more and buy a Porsche, or a 135i or something.

Originally posted by jaysleeves View Post
                    coming along goood buddy lets cruise soon!
                    Letd cruise this week!

Originally posted by asp gti View Post
                    looks awesome, loving how clean it is with the BBS, they suit the car perfectly!
                    They are classic for older BMW's, best rim combo by far, aside from ACS type 1's

Comment

Gorgeous car and that wheel/suspension combo is killer. Congrats on the development so far. Hope you get to drive it lots before the winter comes.
                      Last edited by jacktown; 08-13-2014, 03:08 PM.
                      Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Looks fantastic man! Keep up the good work!
                        Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                        -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                        -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by jacktown View Post
                          Gorgeous car and that wheel/suspension combo is killer. Congrats on the development so far. Hope you get to drive it lots before the winter comes.
                          I will also be driving the car through winter. I will either find something to protect my coilovers from corrosion, or will swap in the OEM suspension for the winter time. I know alot of people will think that's crazy, but hey....it takes maybe 4 hours to swap out everything, so no biggie haha.

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
                          Looks fantastic man! Keep up the good work!
                          Thanks!!

Comment

Whoa nice! Good to see some BMW's on here. Love what you've done so far
                            Levi.W
                            78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                            91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

Beautiful setup! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X