cheapo 17z bbk :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapo 17z bbk :)

hey, this weekend i finally got around to installing my brembo 17z upgrade on my wagon and i just thought i'd take a second to give my review.

First i should start by saying the factory b6 a4 brakes are sufficient at best. Not confidence inspiring at all and the few times i've panic braked...it has been a stressful experience.
    I found a few good deals locally and online, and ended up with lightly used 6 piston 17z calipers with good seals, new drilled and coated 330mm rotors, and rs4 stoptech ss lines. I have access to a machine shop so in my spare time i made some aluminium hats with my desired offset to fit the caliper (rather than the normal spacing or machining of the caliper to match imperfect rotor fitment)

so i started with AUTOCAD and made this...

then found some of this...

and made this...

after a few test fits adjustments and refinishing, i ended up with this...

At this point i got distracted and everything sat for a few months and this weekend i tucked them up behind these. Maybe a little lost behind the 19"s but i wanted the option to use factory 17's for winters... if my secret plans for winter don't go as planned

from this...

to this...

I have to say this is the best upgrade i have done to the car. It will take a few days to get used to its amazing how smooth and powerful these things are. The pedal has a nice progressive feel, not squishy or soft at all. works great for daily driving but when you punch it... your slammed into your seat belt once the pads were bedded in i couldn't ask for anything more. I have no intent to track the car, but i feel confident they would perform very well.
    I intend to upgrade the rears to s4's at sometime, but im not in a rush and will just replace the worn stuff with new factory equipment for now.

The only thing i would change is the space between the outside diameter of the hat and the inside edge of the pad. When i did my design work the pads i used were slightly smaller than the ones i used in the final install. I should have given myself a little extra space. Oh well, its ok... i made a tiny spacer that prevents the pad spring from pressing the pad all the way into the hat. sorry, i don't take pictures of mistakes

and one more just for fun

Re: cheapo 17z bbk

Wow you did a great job! Your avant looks amazing too. I always disliked my B6's brakes too. Even with upgraded pads and rotors they aren't very powerful.
    Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

That looks great man. Well done!
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Awesome!
          -Mike

Comment

Ever think of making Hats for other body lines? The Canadian Market is greatly lacking.
            -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
            '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Comment

Well done, I always hated the brakes on my b6.

Originally posted by stef2.7t View Post
              Ever think of making Hats for other body lines? The Canadian Market is greatly lacking.
              This!!
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Oh man. That looks stunning. This makes me wonder if stef2.7t still has the 1jz's for sale.....

Comment

1jz? isn't that a Toyota engine? ha

yes its crossed my mind, that's the reason i made my own in the first place. But its just not cost effective... or at least it wont be until i convince my shop to buy me a cnc mill/lathe
                  I've made everything the old fashioned way on manual machines and there is no way i can have competitive prices with the labor involved.

thanks for all the compliments, it was a fun project!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Avant View Post
                    Oh man. That looks stunning. This makes me wonder if stef2.7t still has the 1jz's for sale.....
                    Referring to 18Z's? In this case, No, I just sold them. And if the option that Graham goes into hat production goes green, I may be kicking myself for it LoL!

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
                    '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Comment

Originally posted by stef2.7t View Post
                      Referring to 18Z's? In this case, No, I just sold them. And if the option that Graham goes into hat production goes green, I may be kicking myself for it LoL!
                      Bahaha what a fail. Yes I meant 18z lol sorry. I was eyeing them for awhile.

Comment

Yea, fella out of Calgary scooped them up for his Mk6 BBK project.

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
                        '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Comment

Working...
                        X