2016 Audi R8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Audi R8

Embodying the pure definition of an evolutionary styling, the overhauled R8 has received a familiar singleframe front grille with a honeycomb pattern flanked by standard flat LED headlights or optional laser lighting clusters which double the range to 600 meters. The side profile shows curved contours and a prominent shoulder line interconnecting the wheels and also dividing the side blades in two which according to Audi makes the car look longer and more dynamic.

Moving at the back, the LED taillights also adopt a flat configuration and sit above generously sized air inlets providing a muscular appearance. There's a retractable rear spoiler while the Plus model gains a fixed wing manufactured from carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP). The large diffuser sits between trapezoidal exhaust pipes while the rear window should provide a gorgeous view of the R8’s beating heart.

Speaking of which, Audi's revamped R8 comes exclusively with an uprated V10 5.2-liter FSI naturally aspirated engine offered in two states of tune: 540 HP (397 kW) and 540 Nm (398 lb-ft) in the base model and 610 HP (449 kW) and 560 Nm (413 lb-ft) in the V10 Plus model.

In terms of performance, the Audi R8 will need 3.5 seconds for the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) run before topping out at 200 mph (320 km/h) whereas the Plus mode does the sprint in 3.2 seconds and hits a maximum speed of 205 mph (330 km/h). Despite the stellar performance, the new R8 manages to provide more than decent mileage as the standard model has a fuel consumption of 11.8 liters / 100 km (19.9 mpg US or 23.9 mpg UK) with CO2 emissions of 275 g/km while the R8 V10 Plus consumes 12.4 liters / 100 km (18.9 mpg US or 22.7 mpg UK) and emits 289 g/km.

Both versions of the engine are coupled to an updated seven-speed S tronic gearbox with three automatic modes and manual control. It sends power to a permanent quattro all-wheel drive system equipped with a front electrohydraulic multi-plate clutch. In normal operation, up to 100 percent of the drive torque is sent to the rear axle and when necessary the clutch can transfer up to 100 percent of this torque to the front wheels. The rear end hosts a mechanical differential lock which should provide optimal traction on any road conditions.

The base model rides on 19-inch wheels with 245/35 front & 295/35 rear tires while 20-inch alloys with 245/30 & 305/30 tires will be optional. Stopping power comes from steel brake discs on the standard R8 and carbon fiber ceramic discs on the R8 V10 Plus which gets a standard 20-inch set.

The new Audi Space Frame combines several materials like aluminum and CFRP to enable a lightweight construction of 1,555 kg (3,428 lbs) for the R8 and 1,454 kg (3,205 lbs) for the R8 V10 Plus which makes the new model up to 50 kg (110 lbs) lighter than its predecessor. Aside from being lighter, the aluminum body's torsional rigidity has increased by approximately 40 percent. Standard on the R8 V10 Plus (optional on the standard model) are going to be the clear-coated side blades, front splitter and diffuser.

Stepping inside the cabin, there are newly developed bucket seats and a driver-oriented cockpit featuring an uncluttered design as many of the buttons and knobs have been replaced by the configurable 12.3-inch Audi virtual cockpit. Customers will have to choose between Alcantara/pearl Nappa leather and fine Nappa leather upholsteries and will be able to add clear coated carbon fiber accents. At an additional cost, a 500-watt Bang & Olufsen sound system can be added along with an Audi phone box.

The second generation Audi R8 is scheduled to go on sale this summer, with prices kicking off at €165,000 for the standard model and from €187,400 for the R8 V10 Plus.

Last edited by Canadian Turbo; 02-26-2015, 06:23 AM.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: 2016 Audi R8

Info on the e-tron version:

Besides introducing the V10-powered R8, Audi has also released full technical specifications about its e-tron fully electric sibling.

Official images are not available at this point but the design shouldn't be that much different while underneath the skin lays an entirely different beast. It has been labeled as the R8 e-tron 2.0 to denote it's an evolution of the previous variant which never made it as a production model. While the old one had a 215 km (133 mile) range, the latest iteration of the R8 e-tron will do 450 km (279 miles) thanks primarily to an increased battery capacity from 49 kWh to 92 kWh without affecting packaging.

Speaking of the battery, it has a T-shaped layout and has been installed into the center tunnel behind the occupant cell. This is a new generation of lithium-ion high-voltage batteries produced by Audi and developed specifically for a fully electric vehicle. A complete recharge will take "significantly less than two hours" thanks to the on-board Combined Charging System (CCS) which allows charging with direct and alternating current.

Combined power of the two electric motors has also substantially increased from 381 HP (280 kW) and 820 Nm (605 lb-ft) to 462 HP (340 kW) and 920 Nm (679 lb-ft). It's enough electric oomph to provide the Audi R8 e-tron 2.0 with a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) run in 3.9 seconds before hitting an electronically-capped top speed of 130 mph (210 km/h) or 155 mph (250 km/h).

Audi says the R8 e-tron 2.0 will be available for order later this year at a yet undisclosed price tag but it will obviously be substantially more expensive than the R8 V10 Plus which kicks off at €187,400.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

love the back.. the big vents remind of the the lexus a bit tho

interior is nice.. LCD is crazy on the new models

Comment

Love it
        2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
        2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
        2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

I like it...too bad about the lack of a manual transmission though.
          Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Damn, no manual. Guess I won't get one.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
              Damn, no manual. Guess I won't get one.
              My thoughts exactly, def a deal breaker haha
              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I have to admit I thought the rear would look bad with the square tail pipes but the blacked out Plus version looks sick. Also it looks like there is a new seat style for the Plus version. Hard to see but it looks like there may be a whole new top of the line performance seat for the Audi lineup?

Comment

liittle too square/boxy for my liking :(
                  Last edited by Danaldson; 02-26-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

reminds me of this
                    D R E W

Comment

Love it, especially the interior again.

Comment

Don't care for it, doesn't look like much more than run of the mill a production car.
                        GT3071R and more...

Comment

I like it in the pictures but not sure now that I have seen it moving. I love the interior but the exterior not sure about it does seem longer somehow. More like a b6 to b7 level of change or even b8 to b8.5 level. Can't wait to see one in person.

Last edited by bobkatkat; 02-26-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

wasn't sure what I thought when I first saw the pics, but i really like it after seeing the vid
                            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                            Past:
                            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                            2004 .:R32 BMP
                            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Yeah now that I've seen a real vid, I like it a lot more now. In the pics it's just seemed too boxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X