Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and question about used parts in Calgary

Hey all,

Stefan introduced me to the forum last week when I purchased some almost-new summer tires from him. Was fairly surprised that I hadn't stumbled on this site before given that it is fairly localized to Alberta, and as I have done plenty of DIY'ing from audizine and other web forums.

I purchased my 2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro back in November of 2013. While I have grown very fond of the car over the time i've had it, I won't say that it has been without some challenges! The car had a blown HG, warped thermostat, disintegrating coolant & vacuum system, and needed a new timing belt right out of the gate. All but one of those things were unknown to me at the time of purchase... Let's just say I learned my lesson about buying a used German car!! We've done nearly 40,000 KM together so far, so I'd say we worked through it pretty good.

The car has made it to San Diego and back, and has done pretty substantial miles around the west coast of Vancouver Island as well. I moved to Calgary last August for work - 'Abby' (as I have named her) towed a Uhaul box trailer successfully over the rockies. Here's a picture of her on a remote access road overlooking a surfing break in Oregon - serves as a pretty good tent hen you can get the gear on the exterior.

The car is completely stock at this point, as I have spent most of my time performing deferred maintenance and major engine repairs. I have a few vacuum struggles at this point but am fairly confident that those should be nil after this weekend. I am considering doing an 1+ APR upgrade and potentially sourcing a manual transmission to swap from the current 01V TIP within the year.

Which brings me to my question about sourcing used wrecker parts in the city. I'm currently looking for a few misc items like a belly pan and an engine cover. Can anyone recommend a wrecker where I might stop by to find a plethora of Audi's to pick and choose parts from? Eventually, I'll be looking for a good quality used manual trans, so your experience would become very hand in deciding who to buy from.

If you made it this far... Thanks for reading!!
    Last edited by Sjacklin; 04-16-2015, 01:59 PM. Reason: Oops

Re: Introduction and question about used parts in Calgary

Welcome!
    I don't know any auto wreckers that would have a "plethora" of audi parts, however if you are looking for new parts there are quite a few good places around town that would be more then happy to help you out and provide you excellent customer service too. Either of these guys will get you what you need, not what they think you need, and will let you know honestly what they think about your problems.
    1 - My first go to guy is Colin @ Calgary AutoWorks, long time member of these forums, easy guy to talk to and knows his stuff.
    2 - My second go to guy is Natty (Natty54) on here, he is a local distributor for nearly any brand of new part you need, he used to deal with some used stuff at one point but i'm not sure if he does that these days.

Comment

Welcome!

New parts, come see me at Calgary Autoworks. Natty is also a good resource, he has some used parts, new as well.

Used parts, just recently I was up at Asteroid Auto Parts, they have a ton of used/scrap euros. The guys there were a little strange to deal with, seemed quite disorganized but the guy knew where everything was. Yard was in thaw and was a muddy mess.

PS: Thanks Sean!
      Last edited by BaggedGLI; 04-16-2015, 03:35 PM.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Welcome, nice car. Sounds like a fun trip!

Comment

Yup Asteroids is the best source unfortunately.

It's a struggle dealing with those guys. Agreeing on a price is particularly difficult.

Comment

Love the picture! Nothing beats the ocean

and thanks for the call out guys

I have lots of brand new parts including OE, OEM and performance. My company does deal with used parts as well but you will need to contact my partner for information regarding those. His email is robert@gtrauto.ca
            Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Great pic man! Also with both Natty and Colin, if you have a Eurodrivers membership they will offer a discount for you
              --
              Rod
              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Welcome. Good to see you signed in. Lot's of good people and info on here!
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Welcome, and that is all I can add to this convo!!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome Gents.

Natty: I purchased an N75 valve from you Wednesday.
                    Colin: Thanks, I'll check out Asteroid
                    Rod: How does one go about getting a Eurodrivers membership?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Sjacklin View Post
                      Thanks for the warm welcome Gents.

Rod: How does one go about getting a Eurodrivers membership?

Cheers!
                      Either come to one of the weekly coffee meets, impromptu meets or the monthly meet.

Or.

Come see me at Calgary Autoworks!
                      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Nice ride, looks like an awesome trip too.

Nice to see someone doing maintenance first then go fast mods.

I happen to have an engine cover left over from my b6 a4 days.

PM me if you're interested.
                        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Thanks again guys. I've been dealing with Natty and have found it much easier then sourcing parts online.

PPRY4SNO: I'll send you a message next time I'm on my way up to YEG. May be the first week for May or at some point in the summer. Would love to check out your coupe build :-)

Sean

Comment

Sounds good
                            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
                            X