wheel bearing or something else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing or something else

today I'm driving and going down a rather bumpy road. Lots of small ruts. I already know the car has bad control arm bushings and tie rod bushings on the front.

Get to the end of the road and there is a sweeping right hand turn so I take the turn at 45-50kmh Max and then I hear a small pop or clunk kinda hard to really say what one. Car is still driving normal. I drive another maybe 100m and then go to press the brake to slow down for a left turn and then I get massive grinding and clunking from front end. Feels like dvr side to me.

Now I'm scared and think wtf just happen. So I limp it to the wal Mart parking lot 500m away and remove the dvr side wheel expecting to see something visably broken and dangling but nothing.

The grinding was audible when driving slow 5kmh kinda like a dragging metal object. The clunking is felt when trying to stop only not when accelerating or costing.

As most of you know my brakes are solid. Just changed all my brakes last week. Prior to this I've never heard any noise to suspect wheel bearing issue. I've had bearing failure on other cars before but that was just the hmmmmmmmm sound, never this bad.

The car was going interview the shop Monday for suspense work under warranty "maybe". How ever I'm not stupid and knowing I have a 40km drive home with my kids, I limped it to the back of the wal Mart parking lot and called the tow truck to have the car towed to the shop early.

What does this sound like ? And I right to assume wheel bearing or am I way off?

Another thing...last cupple times I've swapped wheels , all the wheels came off the hubs easy like fell off when last lug pulled. Dvr front always needed to be beat pretty hard to come off the hub.
    Last edited by morris400; 04-17-2015, 07:53 PM.
    2016 VW GTI (Stock)
    2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
    1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
    2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Re: wheel bearing or something else

Rock stuck in the brakes?
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

This is a possibility. But there was no scoring on rotors. If that's what it is then I'll be glad. Car is currently at Dubsport under the careful watch of Rich and Payton. Should know what is wrong Monday morning.
      2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Strut mount failure?

Comment

This is also a possibility .
          2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Car fixed. Caliper bracket bolt fell out. My fault I guess.
            2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Working...
            X