Aux Coolant Pump - where's the leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux Coolant Pump - where's the leak?

I've had a pesky coolant leak on the 02 Allroad, but mostly when it's cold outside. I thought it may have been the aux coolant pump, but upon dissambly I found them looking like this:
    IMG_20150603_212830 by Anson Chappell, on Flickr

The pumps are dry underneath, no signs of crust or anything. The coolant in the valley was from me testing the bleeder screw (see below.) The pump on the lower left in that photo does have a bit on the connection, it's true. Is this pump allroad-specific? It's not in the Bentley.

However, I might be onto the problem. A while back I stripped the bleeder screw and had to replace with a standard metric bolt. I picked up another at the dealer a while back, but the parts guy at Southgate had trouble tracking down the right one (and I didn't have the old one to compare) and supplied what he thought was the right one. It's not. When the reservoir is opened, you can clearly see coolant gurgles up from this bolt. I tried twice to make sure. I then swapped my standard bolt solution back in, no gurgling.

So now do I replace the pumps anyway since I'm this far into it? Does anyone recommend the lower-temp switch?

Overview of the assembly. The new (faulty) bleeder is lower right (the bolt not covered in grime.)
    IMG_20150603_212823 by Anson Chappell, on Flickr
    2002 Audi allroad 6-speed MT
    Unitronic stage 1, Arnott coil-overs (d-bagged?)
Working...
X