Audi Entering F1...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi Entering F1...

After countless rumors, Audi is finally primed to compete in Formula One.

Citing "senior Audi officials," Car Magazine is reporting Audi will withdraw from all their current motorsport activities - including DTM and the WEC - and team up with Red Bull to enter Formula One in 2018.

As one insider told the publication, "The idea is to use the Red Bull team as a door opener. Why Red Bull? Because of their success and experience, because of their top-class infrastructure and of course also because of the pending sponsorship agreement."

The report goes on to say the team will be run by Stefano Domenicali and the company intends to be a serious competitor for the world championship by 2020.

The project hasn't officially been signed off yet but Car is reporting the company's board of directors intends to go ahead with the plan.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Audi Entering F1...

Interesting. I also read that Red Bull was going to quit at the end of the season if a deal with Ferrari could not be reached, to have them supply works spec engines to them. VW may purchase the team and use said engines until they have one developed by 2018 when the Ferrari engine deal ends. Eddie Jordan did hint about VW entering f1 but Horner shrugged it off saying that it was great they were showing interest but it was all speculation at the time. Oh the f1 circus is amusing.
    you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Sweet. First Gene Haas... now Audi. Maybe get BMW back in the game too and let's mix this F1 grid up!
      Looking forward to more "official" news though as F1 is full of "pseido substantiated rumours" daily!
      Rob
      Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
      Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

The timing couldn't be better for this. VW/Audi in F1! So much experience in DTM translates well to F1. Not to mention all the skills in software and firmware to get around regulations translates well to F1. All joking around, F1 is built on pushing regulations to the edge, skirting around them, getting slapped on the wrist, then starting all over for the next season and new regulations. I see a F1 Constructors Championship for Audi in 2020!!

Comment

It would be weird to see the brand compete in F1 when their hallmark is quattro.

I know that the LeMans cars from the R8 up to the current versions (that aren't hybrids) are all RWD, but Audi strikes me as being a better fit racing at Dakar or in WRC than F1.

Considering the heritage, wouldn't it make more sense for the VW Group to field a Bugatti team?
          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
          Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
          Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
            It would be weird to see the brand compete in F1 when their hallmark is quattro.

I know that the LeMans cars from the R8 up to the current versions (that aren't hybrids) are all RWD, but Audi strikes me as being a better fit racing at Dakar or in WRC than F1.

Considering the heritage, wouldn't it make more sense for the VW Group to field a Bugatti team?

Ya there are of other badges under the umbrella that would work Lambo, Bugatti etc. But Audi has had bad experiences in road racing and rally with Quattros. They dominated WRC then were banned. The Group also has good showing in WRC with Seat and VW Polo which I believe are still competing using Quattro over Haldex. Audi quattro dominated the GT class in the late 90s and early 20's with the B5 S4 and C5 RS6. They were so dominant over the Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Viper brand that they were constantly having weight added to them. I the final season, when Audi threw in the towel and pulled the RS6 out they were running a weight penalty and throttle plate govern that had the cars 400lbs heavier and down 150HP over one you could drive out of the Dealer showroom. I think that was the final straw for quattro in manufacturer road racing. You could see the shift of Audi racing to Le mans and DTM. Audi has done well with Redbull Racing in the DTM. I am blown away at how similar the DTM series is compared to F1. The performance is very similar with the F1 restrictions.

Comment

...if they even have the money to do this after paying for #dieselgate....
              Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Working...
              X