Looking to buy a B5 S4, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a B5 S4, any advice?

hey guys looking to pick up a daily, the B5 S4 caught my eye. Any advice/ major problems to look for would be awesome!

Re: Looking to buy a B5 S4, any advice?

You're not dailying the RS4?
    Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
    -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
    -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

im just not sure if im prepared to deal with the beautiful front end being destroyed by rock chips :S

Comment

Advice?

Do it.
        I'm very glad that I made the step from BMWs to the B5. Mine has a nice few mods and makes for a crazy fast daily driver.

I was initially intimidated by all the horror stories, but they all appear to be vastly exaggerated. I got it in January, and I've since become extremely familiar with them.

Audizine is a great resource, as is Bobkatkat on here.

Comment

cool! theres a blue one on kijiji with 182k km. kinda high but it seems like its maintained!

Comment

Originally posted by skhan91 View Post
            im just not sure if im prepared to deal with the beautiful front end being destroyed by rock chips :S
            Get Xpel/3M/Suntek and don't worry about the rock chips anymore...
            Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Originally posted by Circuits View Post
              Get Xpel/3M/Suntek and don't worry about the rock chips anymore...
              yea i was thinking about it, i also have a 30km commute one way to work and it would rack up a lot of kms on it as well. so a daily driver wouldn't be a bad idea but you guys are kinda right... such a waste to let it sit throughout the winter! decisions... haha

Comment

I daily my rs4 but im looking at getting a new gti or something to daily. I have some repairs to do that ive long waited to do, front bumper and front control arms. So at that point i may not want to daily anymore. Im sitting at 112k km and i also drive 70km daily. Im torn on long term plans i love my car and its really not dropping in value fast, so i may hold on to it and drive something else.
                Me and you are sorta on the same page but i want a reliable new car and you want a car that may need work which kinda defeats the purpose of a daily imo. I have zero experiece with b5 s4 though.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                  I daily my rs4 but im looking at getting a new gti or something to daily. I have some repairs to do that ive long waited to do, front bumper and front control arms. So at that point i may not want to daily anymore. Im sitting at 112k km and i also drive 70km daily. Im torn on long term plans i love my car and its really not dropping in value fast, so i may hold on to it and drive something else.
                  Me and you are sorta on the same page but i want a reliable new car and you want a car that may need work which kinda defeats the purpose of a daily imo. I have zero experiece with b5 s4 though.
                  i mean id be down for a MK6 GTI but i have budgeted about $10k for a new daily car and for $10k its either going to be a MK5 GTI or something liek a B5 S4.

i bought a civic to daily with thinking i ll save a ton on gas and it would be super reliable and all... bad idea. sold it after a few days because it felt like complete **** after driving my RS4 lol.

i want something like my RS4 for the daily grind and still be able to be somewhat close to its performance.

i guess im really just looking for options / opinions haha. but glad to hear im not alone on this matter!
                  Last edited by skhan91; 11-29-2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

It's hard to winter daily a FWD after driving Quattro. Winter is a fun season for Quattro. Definitely Expel the RS4 to save the paint even in the shoulder seasons. I would Drive the RS4 in the winter if I was you. If you really want to save it then the B5 S4 is just the B7 RS4's older trashy sister that still knows how to curl your toes.

Comment

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
                      It's hard to winter daily a FWD after driving Quattro. Winter is a fun season for Quattro. Definitely Expel the RS4 to save the paint even in the shoulder seasons. I would Drive the RS4 in the winter if I was you. If you really want to save it then the B5 S4 is just the B7 RS4's older trashy sister that still knows how to curl your toes.
                      lol how can i ever get a B5 now.

but seriously thinking about getting the whole front end redone with Expel. its got some OEM clear bro thing on it right now which is starting to peel towards the front spoiler. any recommendations for installers for Expel/3M?

all of this will factor into me buying the B5 S4 or just rock proofing the RS4 and wintering it
                      Last edited by skhan91; 11-29-2015, 10:11 PM.

Comment

My other option is maybe 15k for a toy summer car. Maybe a s2000 or something then drive the rs4 year round.
                        You just got the rs4 id worry more about driving it making sure you dont have any issues with it then coming up with a game plan. Im sure you are aware maintance isnt cheap on these cars. Ive been lucky and have had no repairs in the 50k ive put on it.
                        The other idea i had was to buy a lexus isf for summer and winter drive the rs4. Haha that would be great. Maybe i just want a picture of both them in my garage.

Comment

My other option is maybe 15k for a toy summer car. Maybe a s2000 or something then drive the rs4 year round.
                          You just got the rs4 id worry more about driving it making sure you dont have any issues with it then coming up with a game plan. Im sure you are aware maintance isnt cheap on these cars. Ive been lucky and have had no repairs in the 50k ive put on it.
                          The other idea i had was to buy a lexus isf for summer and winter drive the rs4. Haha that would be great. Maybe i just want a picture of both them in my garage.
                          you would prolly have to get something way better then an s2000 to par up with the RS4 even in the summer. I personally cannot wait till summer. so many things to do to the RS4! dirt, rocks, and slush just annoys when im driving a nice car. maybe its just me.

im leaning more and more towards taking the above advice though and just 3Ming the **** out of the RS4 and driving it all year round

Comment

Try it for a year, its great in the winter.
                            maybe its me but i think a rwd would be more fun in the summer. The s2000 is more just a passion car that wont go away till i buy one. The lexus is actually a posibilty if i can convince the wife.
                            go enjoy your new car. Get it wrapped or leave it and repaint it. Whatever floats your boat.

Comment

try it for a year, its great in the winter.
                              Maybe its me but i think a rwd would be more fun in the summer. The s2000 is more just a passion car that wont go away till i buy one. The lexus is actually a posibilty if i can convince the wife.
                              Go enjoy your new car. Get it wrapped or leave it and repaint it. Whatever floats your boat.
                              Last edited by skhan91; 11-29-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X