Nasty stripped bolt need help identifying a part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty stripped bolt need help identifying a part

Hey everyone I ran into a dilemma trying to do my timing belt on my b5 2.8l. I was trying to take off the fan idler pulley which is required to get access to the timing belt and I happen to break my 6mm long hex socket ( the ones that have a ball shape at the tip ) on the last remaining hex bolt which is located deep in the roller. I ended up stripping it to nothing and demolishing the bolt with a chisel the i fit through the gap.

Now the only option I see is to remove this roller beneath it so I can fit a dremmel tool through a small gap and cut the head of the bolt so maybe i can hammer off the idler pulley.

Does anyone know how to remove this roller , ( the one with the green in the centre ) I took the centre bolt out this is what it looks like now.

Ps. If you guys see another option for me to move forward let me know I'd appreciate it greatly. I really miss quattro in this weather.

Re: Nasty stripped bolt need help identifying a part

That is the a/c pump? Just drop it down. Should be held on by 4 bolts
    Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

I assume the one that's stripped is the one you see between the slots on the upper pulley? If you drill the head out it should allow you to take the pulley assembly off. With the assembly off you can get some vice grips on the body of the bolt and unscrew it from the engine block.

Pat

His
      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I know people hate (you should have done) reply's but if you ever strip or come across a stripped hex socket again. Find a Torx socket that is slightly bigger that the stripped bolt and pound it in with a little JB-weld. Wait and go at it again. Works most of the time. If you really have screwed up the bolt head you will have to do what Onceover suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
          I assume the one that's stripped is the one you see between the slots on the upper pulley? If you drill the head out it should allow you to take the pulley assembly off. With the assembly off you can get some vice grips on the body of the bolt and unscrew it from the engine block.
          Yes the stripped bolt is right in that gap at the upper puelly, There were 4 bolts this was the last one.
          How would i drill the head out without damaging this part? it seems to be pressed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
            That is the a/c pump? Just drop it down. Should be held on by 4 bolts
            yes I believe it is the AC pump!! thanks for the tip now I have a clue what it is and i can search for a diy. This may be the best chance I have so I'm going to remove the ac pump and see what happens.
            Ill update you guys on this mission very shortly.
            Last edited by suave; 01-26-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

you just might have to destroy the part to get it off. sucks but that's how it goes sometimes. use a drill bit that's the same size as the bolt. it will fit through the gap in the pulley and take just the head off. then, like stated, use vise grips to pull it out.

also, torque that A/C pulley bolt up before you forget. don't want to have to do that job twice.
              Last edited by 100%VAGitarian; 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM.
              you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                you just might have to destroy the part to get it off. sucks but that's how it goes sometimes. use a drill bit that's the same size as the bolt. it will fit through the gap in the pulley and take just the head off. then, like stated, use vise grips to pull it out.

also, torque that A/C pulley bolt up before you forget. don't want to have to do that job twice.
                I think at this point I'm going to do what Natty suggested. last option I'm going to sacrifice the actual fan idler pulley, but I got a good feeling I've got this once I have room for the dremmel to sneak up behind the bolt.

Comment

If you can get a bolt head through the slot in the pulley I don't see why you cant get a drill bit the same diameter as the threaded section of the bolt in order to drill it out?

Pat

His

Hers
                  1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                  1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Various tools exist to help you.

Checkout this article, I'd try one of those stripped bolt remover tools.
                    https://www.kmstools.com/blog/removi...zed-fasteners/

Another option I've seen somewhere is to drill a hole just a bit smaller than an allen key you have, pound the allen key in with a hammer (weld) and turn.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                      Various tools exist to help you.

Checkout this article, I'd try one of those stripped bolt remover tools.
                      https://www.kmstools.com/blog/removi...zed-fasteners/

Another option I've seen somewhere is to drill a hole just a bit smaller than an allen key you have, pound the allen key in with a hammer (weld) and turn.
                      Unfortunatley none of these options are possible with the limited amount of space he has

Pat

His

Hers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Working...
                      X