Best way to remove Cam Shaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove Cam Shaft seal

Okay guys, We're deep in the engine here, and since the kit that I bought came with the seals, I decided to replace them. I went ahead and went at one of the seals not knowing these things are a pita to remove. Not looking forward to taking the valve cover off to get at these so if you guys got a better solution I'd much appreciated at this point.

Heres what it looks currently,

Heres what I've been doing to try and make an impact,

Re: Best way to remove Cam Shaft seal

Is this a 1.8t? You have to remove the valve cover and the cam cap first.
    Last edited by onceover; 02-19-2016, 08:53 AM.

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I usually go with the "if it's not broke don't fix it" when it comes to camshaft seals. Especially when i'm "deep in the engine" with the valve cover still on lol

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
        Is this a 1.8t? You have to remove the valve cover and the cam cap first.
        looks like a 2.8 to me either way what Pat says is correct... not sure who told you the put some screws in her and pull but that person should be out of your life, best of luck not a difficult job just make sure the seal is sitting properly before you button everything up.

Current
        02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
        04 GLI low and slow OG
        Past
        02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
        00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by gheron View Post
          looks like a 2.8 to me either way what Pat says is correct... not sure who told you the put some screws in her and pull but that person should be out of your life, best of luck not a difficult job just make sure the seal is sitting properly before you button everything up.
          Its a 2.8, and yeah I was following a diy by blauparts, this is how they did it according to the photo but they used a seal puller which I don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            I usually go with the "if it's not broke don't fix it" when it comes to camshaft seals. Especially when i'm "deep in the engine" with the valve cover still on lol
            Lool, this thing is so tight I don't see how much easier it would be to do it with the valve cover off.

Comment

Because with the valve cover off you can take the cam cap off which will reveal half of the seal

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                Because with the valve cover off you can take the cam cap off which will reveal half of the seal
                Thumbs up to that mate, I removed the cap and it came out like butter, Respect.

Comment

Working...
                X