• Show
Clear All

• Audi's next gen quattro?

interesting

http://jalopnik.com/audis-high-tech-...-bi-1760502139

Re: Audi's next gen quattro?

Very cool actually

https://youtu.be/VjwYNvsJ-OM
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 02-23-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

front wheel based awd eh? welcome to the system us peasants with Haldex use.
      Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

So it's basically a haldex system that can fit longitudinal engines with a modified program in the control unit, using more driver inputs to cycle through different driving conditions. Doesn't really sound ground breaking to me, might be cool to have it available for larger engines and will allow for different engine bay configurations, but what i find more interesting is to see the evolution of what input controls they use and the development of the algorithms which must have be fun to work on, but honestly i see a few controller programming updates coming in the future. These predictive technologies are usually 90% out of the box and require a ton of "normal user" testing to run through all the expected driving conditions that the engineer's wouldn't typically think of.

Comment

yea i don't think this is on the B9 but i could be wrong.. i think this is a few years to go still.. i dunno tho

Comment

It seems it will be available as soon as this summer but only on the lower output engines with DSG and manual transmissions due to its limited torque handling capacity (368 foot pounds). Looks like traditional quattro will be around for S, RS, V8s and V6 and above Diesel. With the S and RS models already moving to 8 speed torque converter based transmissions this truly seems to be the death of the high power Audi manual trans cars.

Sure would be nice if they put some development into a Haldex system that would decouple the front axles for the s and rs models.

"Starting with the A4 allroad quattro this summer, the company will offer what it calls ‘quattro with ultra technology’. In effect, it’s a similar principle to the Audis with transverse engines, but now available on cars with longitudinal motors, such as the A4, A6, A8, Q5 and Q7. It’s compatible with manual and dual-clutch DSG transmissions, and can cope with engines producing up to 500Nm of torque. Anything more potent than that - hefty V6 and V8 diesels, mainly - will stick with the regular quattro.

The new quattro with ultra technology will make its debut on the A4 Allroad due this summer - initially with petrol engines and a DSG transmission, although it’ll be offered with diesels and a manual soon after. The next model to get the system will be the Q5, while the rest of the A4 range is likely to receive the new tech early in 2017."
            Last edited by bobkatkat; 02-24-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

haldex for a long time used different inputs, not just wheel slip, for example if you give more than 50% throttle it enables rear drive, probably since at least the golf4
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

The system takes data from accelerometers, yaw sensors, steering angle sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle positions sensor, and a bunch more to detect how quickly the car is reaching its lateral grip limit
                Sensors, sensors
                I would not loose my sleep not getting one,...
                Too many points of failure;
                Where is the Torsen, btw?

Comment

Do not want.
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Why not just equip all their cars with a haldex controller? It can be a feature that the customer has a choice to pay for the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                    X