B5 S4 Ownership Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5 S4 Ownership Questions

Ladies and Gents. I'm looking at getting several different cars. B5 s4 being on my list. I know they are not the most reliable cars. And parts are expensive. I was just wanting some input from current or previous owners of B5 S4s on how often things break and what I can expect to replace etc. Just what it's like to own one in general. Thanks!

Re: B5 S4 Ownership Questions

You only have to worry about the Turbos, Waste gate lines, Syncros, Center and rear diff, All 322 control arms, Tie-rods, Wheel bearings, ABS Module, Airbag Module, Control Cluster, Heater Core, Flappy door latch syndrome, Boost leaks, MAF, N75 Valve, F-Hose, Spider Hose, Door Lock Pump, Rear Cam Seals, Motor Mounts, Tranny mounts, Rear Diff mount, Rear Diff Seals, Rear Camber Bolts, Diverter valves, Fuel Injector O-ring leak, Coolant Temp Sensor, Timing Belt, Water Pump and Coil Packs.

But as soon as you get those few things sorted it's clear sailing!
    Last edited by RSS; 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM.
    2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
    2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
    2001 Audi A4 - RIP
    2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
    2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
    2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
    1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
    2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Expect an engine pull and reseal every ~100,000km.

There's lots of good upgrade parts that will limit failures at later dates. RSS has it about right though, they require a lot of attention, if you aren't doing the work yourself it can get very expensive.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

A good way to judge whether or not you should get a B5S4 is this.

If you are thinking about getting a B5S4 DON'T!

If you need a B5S4 then you obviously have sustained enough blunt force trauma to the head that you should be okay with the maintenance schedule for the car, it will seem normal in your already altered state of mind.
        2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
        2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
        2001 Audi A4 - RIP
        2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
        2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
        2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
        1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
        2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

When did you get another s4 roger? ��
          I've personally had good luck with my s4's. **** does happen though. It's a 15year old platform. If you modify it to double the factory power levels. You will have to replace things. Lots of stuff is high mileage maintenance. Turbos failing seem to be the biggest issue, and the most expensive - but while your in there, you take care of some of the other stuff /seals /etc.

Comment

This is a DIY kinda car. And have a spare car to drive for the 6 months a year+ you'll be busy DIY'ing. Not to mention a garage space to work in.

They rip when they're going and healthy though. Can be a good sleeper car.
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

I loved both of my B5 S4s... and was only left stranded twice. Once from the clutch going, and another when an axle popped off due to a backyard mechanic install. Looking back my last was the most fun car Ive owned, and possibly one of the most fun cars Ive driven. Makes a huge difference if you can DIY the small to medium stuff, which is fairly easy with a Vag com and the resources on various forums.

Id love to have another someday as a weekend toy...

Comment

The simple answer is that you need to buy one.

I mean looooook at iiiiiiit

I miss it

Comment

I do agree! They are sexy to look at! Haha thanks for the small list RSS, no big deal. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not opposed to doing my own work. I'm sure that helps save you a lot in the long run.

Comment

I'll just leave this here.. http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...pr=23251588013

But ya, if you do decide to pick one up make sure you get it inspected.
                    Last edited by funkin; 09-13-2016, 12:59 AM.
                    TJ
                    '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    '01 Silver S4

Comment

So, I've had mine now for about 6 years and have had very few issues with it...don't let Roger scare you off, he just bought another one!!

Just keep up with maintenance and treat it nice, it will treat you nice also. 360k on mine now and still enjoying it...original turbos will be replaced finally this year .

As for engine pulls every 100k...I call BS Colin.
                      --
                      Rod
                      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post

That's a Calgary money maker mentality right there. WTF would you need to pull the engine for unless your changing the turbos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                          Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                          That's a Calgary money maker mentality right there. WTF would you need to pull the engine for unless your changing the turbos.
                          Doing it at a shop, pull for turbos, everything else can be done in car. Maybe a pull every 200,000km, there are very few S4's out there that I have found that aren't so terribly neglected and caked in leaked oil by the time they hit 200k that they can go without. Most need a pull and have a full reseal because oil has saturated every single o-ring and coolant hose.

Of course two that have some of the most reliable/nicest S4's I know of call me on it. Just because you guys maintain yours, does not represent the rest of the population.
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                            Doing it at a shop, pull for turbos, everything else can be done in car. Maybe a pull every 200,000km, there are very few S4's out there that I have found that aren't so terribly neglected and caked in leaked oil by the time they hit 200k that they can go without. Most need a pull and have a full reseal because oil has saturated every single o-ring and coolant hose.

Of course two that have some of the most reliable/nicest S4's I know of call me on it. Just because you guys maintain yours, does not represent the rest of the population.
                            So as mentioned...maintenance is your friend
                            --
                            Rod
                            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

And lots of it. Buying one you can expect a couple pretty big bills to get everything sorted and back up to date on services being that they get so neglected.
                              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                              X