2018 bmw m5 (f90)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 bmw m5 (f90)

The wait is over. Following a series of leaked images and video, spy shots, and teasers, the new BMW M5 is officially here – and it’s powerful. Using an updated version of the outgoing version’s 4.4-litre biturbo V8, the new M5 produces an impressive 600 horsepower between 5,600 and 6,700 rpm, and 553 pound-feet of maximum torque. That number is up from the 575 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque found on the previous model.

With all that added power, the new M5 can sprint to 100 kilometres per hour (62 miles per hour) in just 3.4 seconds, and will continue on to a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph)… or 305 km/h (189 mph) if you remove the limiter. Power is routed through a new eight-speed M Steptronic automatic gearbox, with a trio of optional driving modes: Efficient, Sport, and Sport Plus. Power is sent to all four wheels via an M xDrive system, with the option to cycle between 4WD, 4WD Sport, and 2WD, and even the ability to turn off the stability control entirely.

The exterior, as noted by the leaked images, receives a subtle but noticeable update over the outgoing model. The dual kidney grille remains, naturally, with new headlights, and a lower diffuser in line with current M models like the M2. In the rear, the taillights have been updated significantly, and a larger diffuser is now present. The same quad exhaust tips carry over.

A set of 19-inch alloy wheels come standard, with the option for 20-inch wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport cup tires. Buyers can opt for a set of carbon ceramic brake discs at an extra cost, which trim the overall curb weight by a cool 23 kilograms (50 pounds). The new BMW M5 tips the scales at just 1,855 kg (4,089 lbs), shedding nearly 90 kg (200 lbs) over the outgoing model (1,945 kg / 4,287 lbs). Polymers reinforced with carbon fiber (PRFC) elements in the roof and throughout the bodywork are in part to thank.

In the cabin, new features like the steering wheel, seats, and upholstery give the M5 an even sportier feel. Portions of the steering wheel and center console, meanwhile, come standard with a carbon fibre trim accented with a red outline. A heads-up display accents the large center infotainment screen.

The new BMW M5 will start at €117,900 in Europe, with orders beginning this September, and deliveries following in Spring of 2018. The BMW M5 First Edition, pictured here in red, will be limited to just 400 examples worldwide, and will include BMW Individual Frozen Dark Red Metallic paintwork, an extra €19,500 over the standard model. No word yet on Canadian pricing, but stay tuned.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: 2018 bmw m5 (f90)

I'll be interested to see the reviews on this thing when they start to come out. I'm totally loving the switchable AWD to RWD thing. Safe when you wanna be... a beast when you don't. Will be crazy if BMW is sand-bagging and this thing can actually do better than 0-100 in less than 3.4 on a 4,000+lb sedan. Wowsers. I'd definitely hit it if I had the money and was in the market for a sports/super sedan. Just give me one with a manual... oh... err, wait a minute... F&##$ Y(*& BMW!!!

FWIW... that "frozen red" first edition is fugly as hell. Yuck, yuck, yuck!
    Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Working...
    X