Fiat And Alfas Coming?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat And Alfas Coming?????

Ever since news of a deal between Fiat and Chrysler broke last week there has been speculation over which models would be brought over to the United States from Europe. It now appears that a total of seven models will be offered with four of them being sold under Chrysler nameplates and the other three being sold as Alfa Romeos or Fiats.

Together the two companies would have a host of vehicles in classes ranging from minicars to mid-size vehicles, effectively filling Chrysler's largest product gap. In terms of subcompacts Fiat would bring over the 500 which would be built at Chrysler's plant in Toluca, Mexico and Chrysler would receive a version of the next generation Fiat Panda. Automotive analysts at CSM Worldwide believe the Fiat 500 could go on sale in the US as early as 2012.

For the subcompact class Alfa Romero would bring over the MiTo while Chrysler would get an unspecified model. Compact cars include the replacement for the Alfa 147 and a possible replacement for the Dodge Caliber, both of which will be built on Fiat's C-Evo platform. Finally in the mid-size segment Chrysler would mercifully receive replacements for the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring, these vehicles would ride on an extended version of the C-Evo platform.

Chrysler would also gain the right to produce Fiat's 1.4-liter and 1.8-liter four-cylinder engines with direct injection, these engine combined with the smaller vehicles should help the company meet the United States' new fuel economy standards which are set to go into effect in 2011. In exchange Fiat would also gain access to Chrysler's newly developed family of V6 Phoenix engines.

While the companies are still working to finalize the proposed deal both parties expect to have an agreement hammered out by April 30. Besides platform and production sharing, Fiat will receive a 35% stake in Chrysler and access to the US market through Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealers.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Fiat And Alfas Coming?????

yep.. i have to laugh how chrysler basically gave away 35% for free to alfa for 'technology' ahahah poor buggers..

really a good thing as we'll see more euros here that we never would have before.

Comment

Ok so I'll admit I didn't go back and read that again but did I read......

The cars branded as Alfa's will actually be Chrysler's and the cars branded as Chrysler's will actually be Alfa's??

I'm tired but that makes no sense. Perhaps the 500 will be a true "Alfa" but it will still be built at a Chrysler plant.
      Last edited by Tuna; 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM.
      Jay

Comment

35% of nothing is still nothing, at least this way they can bring in cars that will actually sell without having to spend the R&D money.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Really for Chrysler they need as much money as they can get so they would be dumb not to take the deal. For Fiat they get entry into one of the largest car markets in the world, which they have been thinking about entering for a while, with out having to build their own network of dealers, factories etc.

Overall I think it is win win as hopefully Fiat can steer Chrysler in a better direction and perhaps make it a more European brand with Trucks and Jeeps. Daimler really wants out of their remaining 20% of Chrysler so maybe Fiat can get that really cheap as well and then have control over the company???

I just hope they do not ruin things like the 500. I have wanted one but having it as a Chrysler 500 is a nightmare not a dream maybe.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

yea i heard daimler/mb wants out bad..

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post

I just hope they do not ruin things like the 500. I have wanted one but having it as a Chrysler 500 is a nightmare not a dream maybe.
              Exactly, call me a snob but I doubt I would want it, especially because they'll make the front look like a caliber or something.

It just seems like they'll all be Chrysler either in name or design. It would be awesome to see Alfa's here, if that's what they are.
              Jay

Comment

Working...
              X