Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA

So many concepts come to us as an inspiration, they tease us, leave us wanting more and then don't ever make it to production because the automaker's bean counters say it won't pay off.

Depending on your tastes, and on what Alfa decides to do with this concept, this may be one of those cars. The Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA Concept will be making its debut at the Geneva auto show next week.

One may have their gripes about Alfa Romeo, but the Italian automaker doesn't slap labels such as the GTA on its models lightly. The GTA (Gran Turismo Alleggerito - that last word meaning "lightened") signature carries with it a lot of history and so Alfa Romeo has seen fit to power this car with a 1.8 liter engine.

What? Only a 1.8 liter? Yes, but one that comes with lots of peperoncino.

Engineered by Fiat Powertrain Technologies and making use of know-how from Twin Spark and the Alfa V6 engine designs, this cuddly little 1.8 liter churns out a remarkable 240 hp. That figure is achieved with an advanced combination of turbocharging, direct injection, dual variable valve timing and an electronic engine management system.

The MiTo GTA also loses weight by way of carbon fiber body panels such as the roof and mirror fairing and the rear spoiler. Aluminum is used in the suspension, chassis and brakes, all contributing to a vastly improved power-to-weight ratio.

Handling is also bettered by a new superior suspension system that lowers the car by 20 mm and works with the brakes and steering to create the most efficient driving dynamic. The new chassis features advanced damper control as an active suspension, which balances the load transfers during acceleration, tightening the suspension at the back to improve traction.

This high performance concept version of the MiTo sounds impressive. Now, you can hope that Alfa Romeo actually produces the car and confirms that impression with performance on the road.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA

I am in love.

Easily the fastest hatch on the road, will the R32/R20 or S3 even compare?
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

What a bugly abomination, with exhausts like that it should be putting out 340 totally overstated on the rear and plain ugly up front.
      Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Wow sounds like quite a car. I don't like the taillights and headlights though.
        Levi.W
        78 BMW 635CSi - Project
        91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

I am with Kris, I think it rocks!
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
            I am with Kris, I think it rocks!

Really wish I could buy this car here.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
            X