Clear All

• Sunday night trip to Rona

Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Re: Sunday night trip to Rona

What am i missing??
    you went to grab wood pallets?

Comment

I'm not a very good photographer... so don't take me too seriously. But usually guys here want opinions

cool lighting. a little dark over all, imo. The car, which is the main subject is a little lost. I like the 3rd one best. It is the sharpest, but just a bit more light would be good. You could probably go a bit brighter in the rest of the pic and still emphasize the headlight and building lights.

First one shows off the car better, but looks a little washed out compared to the others. Possibly took out too much white while bringing out the yellow?

I have a hard time with low light pics. My kit lens' aperture just doesn't open up enough, and bringing up the ISO just gets too grainy. Never come out quite like what I have in my head. I only have a pocket tripod too, which is crap. heh.
      Last edited by stefan; 03-30-2009, 08:29 AM.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Thanks, I was going for the darker batman, tim burton look, still new at night shots......just wanted to share.

Comment

Not trying to trash your pics, don't get me wrong.. Just interested because I don't have much luck with low light pics.

I'm pretty sure it's better than I could do , and I get the look your going for... wouldn't want to lighten it up much for sure.

I'm not sure whats best for night stuff. I'm still playing with them. For my camera (d40), if I push the ISO above 800, the shots are crappy. Even at 800, the grainy-ness gets noticeable. I did get a remote shutter release, which really helps cut the bit of movement you can get when you touch the camera. Made the slow shutter shots crisper. I still have problems getting the light right though, especially in shots like yours where you have bright lights shining right at you.

I borrowed a 50mm f1.8 lens that really grabbed a lot of light, but didn't have it long enough to get out and get any really cool pics.
          Last edited by stefan; 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM.
          Stefan
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Loading bays and pallet stacks = lots of nails on the ground. Good luck

Comment

I think the pics are really nice. I like the change of pace - in that the primary area of focus does not immediately stand out other than the subtle outlines of color.

Very cool. I wish I had photography skills
              Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Stefan, I too use the d40. In these shots I used a tripod and used "M" mode with aperture 125-250, f-stop 4.5 and ISO 800........using the timer and walking away always helps with long shutter shots........of course I photoshopped them but the originals weren't too far off.

Comment

why does your a$s always seem to be on the receiving end
                  sigpic

Comment

Why on earth would you use 800 if you have a tripod? As LOW as you can go, and just lengthen the exposure imo.
                    Geoff
                    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
                      Why on earth would you use 800 if you have a tripod? As LOW as you can go, and just lengthen the exposure imo.
                      Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time.......

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                      why does your a$s always seem to be on the receiving end
                      cause since i'm always giving it to your mom....... i figured it would be a nice gesture to pay it forward.

Comment

Originally posted by popp View Post
                        Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time.......
                        Whups didn't mean to be so snarky, I assumed you knew that and were doing some funky noise texture at 800.

Yah only raise ISO to compensate for the camera wanting longer handheld exposures once you've set everything else. But with a tripod and no movement you go as low as you can for best quality. All those cool night shots with the light trails or stars moving - those are all 50 or 100. Lower ISO = less noise. 400 indoors/no flash if you can get away with it but you'd never want to use 400-800 with flash for instance.
                        Geoff
                        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I set up the Fn button on my d40 (i think by default its the timer button) to change ISO. So i can hold it down and scroll to change ISO quickly so it's quick to test what the results are like.
                          800 is defiantly noticeably grainy though. Good if you just need to get a shot of something, but not so good if you are going for the crisp artistic stuff. I use sometimes it because I have no tripod. Better off to go low ISO like Geoff said, if you have the tripod to compensate for motion blur.

This guy will work with d40 too, as opposed to setting timer for slow shots. Works well. I think I found mine for 15-20$. Even for self shots it is good. It is small enough that you can't see it in someones hand unless you are looking, and you avoid that "hurry and get in the pic" look on everyone's face.
                          http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-ML-L3-Remot...3A1|240%3A1318
                          Last edited by stefan; 04-01-2009, 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by popp View Post

cause since i'm always giving it to your mom....... i figured it would be a nice gesture to pay it forward.
                            sigpic

Comment

i'm almost sure that im your neighbor.. I see that wagon or one similar at least once a week on sacramento drive in the SW.. Is that behind the Rona on Mcleod Trail?
                              Last edited by onepointeightdub; 04-01-2009, 09:36 PM.
                              drive green ||
                              2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                              2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Working...
                              X