The saga of my first supercar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saga of my first supercar

As everyone knows i love the lotus esprit .... and have wanted one for a long time ...
    I sold my TT and found the appropriate car in phoenix about 4 months ago.
    After much communication with the owner of said car a price was agreed upon and he would store the car until my wife spat out my third(or alex's) child so i could go down and retrieve the car .
    this car had been sitting for almost two years when i went to get it and My self and Hater were going to drive it home . (people advised me this was a bad plan with a lotus to trek home over 1700 miles.) The car was not running all that well when i pulled away from the previous owners place . I attributed this to the 48C heat and the extended storage .
    so i sourced some new plugs some inj cleaner and did some maintenance before we took off for our trip... well we got about 45 min from Maricopa when two of the three cyl were no longer playing nice . we limped the car back to biffs place in Maricopa and i began to learn about repairing a lotus in 50 degree heat . (also hungover has nothing on what i was feeling) i spent a full day on the car and came to the realization that the drivers for 2/3 inj was no longer operational . so hater and myself flew home and i was planning to truck home my baby . i then got a hold of the guru of the esprit in ohio ... he informed me of the problem with the "grey Rochester " inj. they pile up after age and take out the driver . so i ordered a set of rc inj a new ecu and a few other service parts and flew back to phoenix to bring home eddie ..(thats the car ) installed the new parts and it fired right up . yessss . so it was 10:30 pm when myself and now biff began our trip from az home . and 30 min from home the check engine light came on but car was putting down the road fine so we pressed on . 8 hours in all was well . we stopped at mesquite for some seat cushions as the esprit has some of the worst seats i have had the pleasure . now as we went through the canyons east of mesquite i realized what a lotus was built for omg even thoe the power was still obviously not there the car was epic in the twisties . now carrying on to beaver and the car just starts to backfire and stutter and die . craopppppp!!!!!!!, pulled over and tried to start it ... and all was well again . so we carried on all the way to great falls in one stretch . the car would buck and fart about every 8 hours . and then continue get it across the boader and home . only to have it permanently die at my shop when i pulled in ....... so fast forward a couple weeks . i sent new ecu to guru he informs me my new ecu has been fried since i installed it he didn't even understand how the car ran ........i tried the original ecu hoping the drivers weren't fried and . bang the car ran better than ever so the entire time it was just needing new injectors and all would have been great . the car is fast smooth and is my favourite thing i have ever owned . it somehow gets more attn. than mutantt and is wayy better on fuel . now i just need some new seats and some fresh interior bits to make this car my own ....
    Last edited by turbomeyers; 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM.
    sigpic

Re: The saga of my first supercar

Awesome. The mechanical issues are just a bonding experience between you and the car. Looks slick, I bet it is too much fun to drive, Mr. Chapman knew what he was up to.

Any sort of power mods in the future?

Comment

Always loved those cars Chris! Have to bring it out to the next meet
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

awesome chris!

Comment

Car looks great and glad you got it running well too!! Desert heat in the summer is fun, I will never forget being in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt in late June close to 50C and in a 3,000 year old tomb is pretty epic!
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Welcome to owning a British car......its an experience
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

And a good one so far ..
              sigpic

Comment

Car looks good Chris, love the wheels. Hope to see more write-ups and especially photos in the future
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Pile!!

Comment

eat me . it came from your country
                    sigpic

Comment

This thread needs more pics
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

i will do some pics this weekend
                        sigpic

Comment

No bodykits k? Looking sharp

Pat

His
                          1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                          1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                          1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                          2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                          Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

congrats. i've always liked that car. i'm sure it will be a fun machine to own.

Comment

Pretty sure I saw you heading South on highway 2 yesterday. Car looked damn good if it was. Certainly an eye catcher.

Comment

Working...
                              X