New Cabby Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cabby Project

Few shitty pics, just picked it up today. Needs A LOT of TLC but its got potential. Comments, and suggestions very welcome. Especially Brent, I hope you can be a big source of information for me, new to this game...

Re: New Cabby Project

IMO the way to properly do a Mk1 Cabby (I used to drive one) is OEM clipper kit. I will show the kit below -- it comes with the fender flares (most important part!) and the front and rear bumpers and sides. This was only available for 1 or 2 years on the late model Mk1 cabby.

Most Mk1 need new paint and trim. :( You can go rat ride with a home made paint job or BBQ black it or something, which is fine. But I would rather have a home made paint job than rust or dents, need to get that sorted out on a Mk1. Rust is REALLY bad on Mk1 and will spread fast. Look out for rust around the windshield.... very hard to fix.

Generally the black top is worth getting, not only because black is cool, but the beige tends to show stains and grime.

Then just dump it low, and put it on some classic looking wheels (which wheels isn't that important on a Mk1 IMO) but have a good stance.

Interior is tough in a Mk1 because most dashboards are cracked and seats are usually worn through. If you found one with no cracks, that's the best way to start. You can just ghetto upholster the seats yourself with pretty good results or else use seat covers. Shampoo the carpets

I wouldn't bother any kind of bolt ons or mods for the engine. Leave it stock and try to get it running reliably. Or else if you want to go deep into it, do a swap. On a swap I wouldn't be too ambitious, I always wanted to swap in the 2.slow from the Mk4. It would be sweet in a Mk1. I think a 1.8T or VR6 is just too ambitious and the rest of the car really can't handle the power anyway.

If you want to ask questions of a former Mk1 Cabby owner, just send me a PM. I did work on it time to time but mine was always just a temporary ride, not something I was trying to fix up.

Last edited by Kor; 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Is that the one that was for sale on DD? There is a host of info out there for cabby's. Cabby-info.com is a great source of info. There is also toplessrabbit.com which has some good forums. I do agree the clipper kit looks killer, there is also one for sale on DD Funny Kris mentions a 2.0 as that is what I plan on putting into my cabby sometime this winter. I will say that the 8 valves of furry mine has with front and rear sways makes it into an awesome go cart. I also have the odd extra interior piece here and there if there is anything you need. Looks like we may have to have a cabby day.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I daily'd mine for a year and a half. You will be blown away how much traction it had in the winter. I at least was, I got stock once, but I was fooling around in a big snowy parking lot.

Comment

Mine was awesome in the winter! I had no problem doing up and down hills and could slide the rear end around even if I wanted too.
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yeah, I would push it sideways as much as I could. The one time we got it stuck, the four of us got out, and lifted the back out, and then lifted the front out. Light cars are light!

Comment

Sounds like a fun project, I'm on my second Cabriolet. They have their common problems, and parts are getting a little tougher to find, but they are a classic. Not sure if you have looked into suspension yet, I found some MK1 JOM Coilovers from Veedubmachine for $360 shipped. I also have a H&R Cup Kit for sale if your looking for some options.

I look forward to seeing this project progress.

Last edited by RobG; 08-15-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

How much would you be looking for for that cup kit? I'm pretty excited to start getting dirty. The best part is, I look at the car and think, now if only the mkiv was this easy. Pretty sure you could tear it apart and rebuild in in a matter of months if you had the time. It's for our daughter and possibly a weekender for me so it'll be slow. But it'll get there.

Comment

That price for coils is pretty good. Mine are shot so I need to buy some new ones soon.

Comment

There is a host of info out there for cabby's.

http://www.amovos.info/ma3.jpg
                    http://www.amovos.info/ma1.jpg
                    http://www.amovos.info/ma2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X