Y2K TDI gone wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y2K TDI gone wild

My second build which I just finished this week!

Here she is in all her stock beauty:

Background Info:
    - This car came into our household back in 2004.
    - Car was passed down to me last year when school required me to travel. This car took me everywhere (across Canada and America) and got 1200+ kms/tank while doing so. Wasn't too bad to sleep in either .
    - Currently has 237 000kms on it.
    - Stock suspension was gonezo a while back but I had no time to change it until now. Bring on the mods.

Objective:
    - I want to show that less = more.
    - I want to keep it simple and clean with an emphasis on stance.
    - Has to be relatively practical as it is my daily driver year round.

Day 1
    Went to Concept 1 in the morning, picked up a set of FK Streetline Coils

Came home and got to work. Rears went in without any hassle at all. Fronts were a pain because every bolt was seized and the struts were actually rusted into the mount. Ugh. Took a lot of bashing with wood and litres of WD-40 but finally got it all apart.

Spun the coils down all the way of course
    The result (note WD40 sprayed on the side):

Went to sleep.

Day 2
    Had sourced a set of wheels, but they were in Edmonton. Made the trip there in the day time, visited my bro, and came back that night around 2am.

Specs:
    Fronts: 18x8.5 et30 with 225/40/18
    Rears: 18x10 et35 with 225/45/18's. :bigpimp:
    Front tires were totally shot, so I didn't bother mounting the wheels immediately

Went to sleep.

Day 3
    I'm no baller so I hit up Kijiji at 7am to find a pair of lightly used tires to replace the worn out fronts. Found a wicked deal on a set of brand new 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sports.

Picked them up at 9am and had the tires swapped over to the wheels on the way home.
    Last edited by nismodrifter; 10-01-2011, 12:39 AM.

Re: Y2K TDI gone wild

The Wheels Revealed
    I'm rocking these here Keskin KT1's brahs

Issue #1: Front tires rubbed HARD on the helper spring. I had a busy month ahead of me and no time to source 10mm hubcentric spacers...........so the front wheels came off :(
    Rocked the car dragster style with 18x10 rears and stock fronts in Saskatoon for most of September.

1 month later
    Found someone in Calgary selling 10mm hubcentric spacers. Picked them up and got 40mm bolts from Concept 1 the following day.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeah.
    Final front spec= 18x8.5 et20 (30mm - 10mm spacer) with a 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport

The wheels went on, and here is how she sat:

Issue #2: After installing the 10mm spacers a quick drive to the store resulted in my front fenders being totally destroyed along with a beautiful aroma of burnt rubber filling the air. Look closely in the above pic and you will see shredded rubber

Roll dem fenderz

Step 1. Gather specialty tools

Step 2. Do work
    - Note dented hood as a result of smashing into a deer 2 days before. Yay.
    Last edited by nismodrifter; 10-04-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Finally.....

No words necessary. Pics say it all. I'm all smiles.

Pics were taken immediately after rolling the front fenders (which no longer rub!!). Front end has since been adjusted to sit approx 1" lower.

In these pics, the rear has 2 threads left. Fronts have 8 threads left so there is definitely room to work with but the sway begins to rub at a certain point. I will try going down to 4 threads later this week if time permits.

Stay tuned for a couple more updates

Last edited by nismodrifter; 10-01-2011, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Unreal what a drop and a nice set of wheels do to a VW. Looks amazing man!!!!
        Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
        -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
        -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Came out great. Good Job!

Comment

Looks great!
            ~Tracy~
            MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
            Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

Mufflerectomy time...

A required mod for sure.
              Took the car to Minute Muffler on 32nd Ave NE (owned by a Beyonder). Would recommend them for any exhaust work as their service was nothing short of outstanding.

Muffler deleted, leads to a 3" downturn which peeks out of the bottom of the valence. I'll polish this bad boy up sometime this week

Result = PASHEW in between shifts and a nice deep sound throughout the rev range.

Have been quite busy over the weekend. If I have some free time I do plan on slamming the front as low as the sway will allow.

Still have a couple minor changes to do before the snow hits. Stay tuned!

Moms MK5 TDI, my MKIV.

Go hard.

Comment

Nice, now take the downpipe off and gut the **** outta the cat and it'll sound even better. Looks good though, I do love those rims.

Comment

Nice work, car looks great!!! I think I may have spotted it around Carline at Macleod and 58th Ave on Tuesday as there was a silver Jetta just on some some big rears and stock fronts.

Keep it up!!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

That fitment is money.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                      Nice work, car looks great!!! I think I may have spotted it around Carline at Macleod and 58th Ave on Tuesday as there was a silver Jetta just on some some big rears and stock fronts.

Keep it up!!
                      Yep that was me.

Thx for the comments. I'm really happy about how it turned out. Always funny to see people in traffic staring at the rear wheel fitment/stretch with a "wtf???" look on their face.

Comment

If you don`t mind can you PM me the cost for the muffler work. Looking good so far.
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

That's funny. When I bought my kt1, they too were in Edmonton. Car looks great btw!
                          James
                          mk4 wagon

Comment

Did you pull your front fenders? The wheels are sticking out but not by much at all.. What are the specs on your set up?
                            drive green ||
                            2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                            2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Originally posted by onepointeightdub View Post
                              Did you pull your front fenders? The wheels are sticking out but not by much at all.. What are the specs on your set up?
                              I don't think pull is the word I would use......more like "manipulated" my fenders

Specs are:
                              Front: 18x8.5 et30 with a 10mm spacer = final offset of 20 on a 224/40/18
                              Rear: 18x10 et25 on a 225/45/18

More updates coming very soon, just gotta load pics onto my PC

Comment

Working...
                              X