Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GLI

Hey everyone,

As a lot of you know i finally found a GLI that will work for me, all the way from Manitoba, so i figured i would finally make a build thread for the few upgrades i will be doing.

Maintenance done so far (pretty upset about the amount I had to do since the car was "in mint condition"):
    - Wiper motor replaced
    - Trunk latch fixed (not even staying closed)
    - Door grommets fixed because water was leaking in
    - Lower control arm bushings
    - Upper strut mounts/bearings
    - Timing belt with manual tensioner
    - Respray lower grilles (peeling bad)
    - Clean out IC due to half a liter of oil in it

Repairs in my very near future:
    - Rear axle bushings
    - Valve cover gasket replacement
    - Turbo replacement (whirrling right now but not super bad)
    - Drivers side door latch mechanism and door lock module sway (my fourth microswitch crapped out on me)

"Upgrades" done:
    - Redid my retrofits from the last Jetta

Pretty lame list so far since i have been doing everything maintenance wise to pass the OOPI (passed friday)

Plans for the spring:
    - Put the whole airride system from the Jetta in
    - Wheels
    - Shave trunk
    - Delete drivers side door lock cylinder
    - Convert GLI recaro's into HEATED GLI recaro's

2 year plans:
    - Build motor, bottom and top end
    - GT3071 turbo
    - Delete emissions stuff from engine bay

Then this car will be done

Re: New GLI

Looks like a good base Sean...gimme a shot if you need some extra hands!
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Nice ride, you weren't in East Village today were you? Saw a similar GLI with audi wheels.
      GT3071R and more...

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
        Looks like a good base Sean...gimme a shot if you need some extra hands!
        I will give you a shout in the spring when the airride is going back in, it would be nice to have an extra set of hands to get the front struts mounted.

Originally posted by sabbySC View Post
        Nice ride, you weren't in East Village today were you? Saw a similar GLI with audi wheels.
        Nope sorry she hasn't been driven yet except from back from Manitoba. Spent all its time on the driveway and in the garage getting fixed up.

Comment

You found one! That's fantastic, beautiful car!
          '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
          '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
          '07 Ford F-150
          '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

Sean that is a HUGE improvement over the wolfy! Love it, you'll have to take me for a ride when all of the modding is done. Congrats buddy.

*Note about the door lock cylinder, my CCM failed a couple months ago, would not have been able to get into the car without it. I wonder if there's a way to shave the length of the cylinder down and put a removable blank over it. Just an idea.
            Last edited by CGDoig; 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Great Improvement! Excited to see this done.

Comment

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post
                Sean that is a HUGE improvement over the wolfy! Love it, you'll have to take me for a ride when all of the modding is done. Congrats buddy.

*Note about the door lock cylinder, my CCM failed a couple months ago, would not have been able to get into the car without it. I wonder if there's a way to shave the length of the cylinder down and put a removable blank over it. Just an idea.
                With how the cylinder is mounted you would not be able to shave it down without destroying it. I have been running the blank plate since I picked up my GLI over 2 years ago now, I'm not worried about it, not really any different than locking your only key in the car, any good locksmith will be get in if need be.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by sabbySC View Post
                  That was me

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB View Post
                    That was me
                    That's my stomping grounds, I'll have to say hi if I see you out and about again.
                    GT3071R and more...

Comment

Originally posted by btimbit View Post
                      You found one! That's fantastic, beautiful car!
                      Thanks.

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post

Yeah should be getting the airride installed and wheels in april so i will let you know. About the CCM issue i would rather have the issue of nobody being able to get into my car rather than a bunch of mackenzie hooligans try to break into my car again through the keylock. That is why i am getting rid of them all haha.

Originally posted by vwpride View Post
                      Great Improvement! Excited to see this done.
                      Woot me too!

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                      With how the cylinder is mounted you would not be able to shave it down without destroying it. I have been running the blank plate since I picked up my GLI over 2 years ago now, I'm not worried about it, not really any different than locking your only key in the car, any good locksmith will be get in if need be.
                      Did you just unscrew the cylinder from the door end and pop the cylinder out and cover it up?

Comment

It's an oem piece, $35 from the dealer + paint.

Or find a car the same color and get one of the blanks from the other 3 doors, they are all the exact same.
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Retrofit output pictures:

Comment

Nice retrofits! Gotta be honest, last week I was down the street visiting an old girlfriend and made a point to creep by and check out the car
                            '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (On Order)
                            '06 VW Jetta TDI (Daily)
                            '07 Ford F-150
                            '06 Mazda 3 (hers)

Comment

Haha thanks. Yeah creep away, cars are meant to be looked at

A little update here couldn't hurt.

Finally started getting around to doing a few more nit-picky maintanence items:
                              - changed out peeling vents for lit vents that aren't broken at all
                              - changed out door lock module
                              - changed out dead lightbulb in HVAC controls
                              - got my old wolfy steering wheel back from Gheron, even though it isn't as nice as a GLI wheel it is in mint condition and will add just the correct amount of sedimental value to the car I will think about the old car every time I drive this one now.
                              - still have to replace the broken oil dipstick
                              - swap center consoles because I have a broken tab where my arm rest "delete" panel is :(
                              - I'm still waiting for my oval retaining clips for the monster mats
                              - got the glass lenses in for the headlights, just gotta get around to switching them out. Debating whether I should wait for spring after the gravel gets swept off the street or not
                              - swap out my front grille with one that doesn't have broken tabs and paint it black
                              - install my old deck in the car
                              - install boost gauge and voltmeter panel above deck

And I think that about wraps up my to do list for now haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X