MK2 Cleanup/Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK2 Cleanup/Progress

I picked up this '87 Golf a few weeks ago and brought it home Saturday afternoon. It needed a few things fixed on it before it was roadworthy so I got to it.

I first lifted up the trunk carpet to see this. The cable in the bottom left is live right from the battery. It was sitting about 3 inches away from that ground.

The battery connection for that amp cable was terrible. It was just laid over the positive side of the battery and taped down.

There were a few of these 'connections' all the way back to the trunk. The two ends pushed together and tapes. No butt connectors or soldering here!

I then stripped the interior to clean underneath the carpet. The sound dampening mats were soaked so I dried those out.

All cleaned up.

Next were the brake/tail lights, none of them worked. I checked the fuses and bulbs and they were fine. Found a bad ground wire at the back for the running lights and that solved that but the brake lights still weren't working. I took a look under the dash to see this. No wires ran to the light switch.

I ran some wires to test out the switch and turned around to see this. Something was not right back there.

I found a positive wire running directly into a ground wire.

Rewired a few things and all the lights were now working! Also fixed the passenger side door popper that wasn't working all the time.

Started putting everything back together. Dash fits much better now.

I didn't like the bluish-grey side panels, so I took them out and dyed them with duplicolor vinyl & fabric.
    Before:

After:

Front seats back in, Interior is done (still have to get some more dye to finish both door panels).

Lifted it up to inspect the suspension. Everything seems to be good. The oil pan is a bit smashed in causing the oil pump to tick, but the PO mentioned that and included a new pan.

I didn't like the scabby white on the grill so I took it off and sprayed it black. I also fixed the saggy passenger headlight.

The hood was falling in all directions as I was lifting it up due to only having 2 of 4 bolts holding it to the brackets.

The car doesn't have a headliner so it had screws sticking down from the sunroof. They were dangerously close to the passenger's head so I shaved them down and put a plate over top.

The pile of junk I pulled out of the interior.

Back on the road.

Still have a few things to fix, but it's a pretty cool little car.

Re: MK2 Cleanup/Progress

That is some significant progress you made and seems to be a much safer car now too!!! Nice work!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI
      You bought this? I would have recommended not touching it with a 30 foot pole. At least someone who is actually mechanically inclined and willing to figure out problems rather than just driving sketchy ass cars now owns it.
      Yeah some of the things I found in the teardown had me thinking wtf, nothing against the PO. The car is mechanically sound and that is why I bought it. I need something that I can leave at the airport for a week while I'm away at work and not have to worry about it. After sitting for 3 weeks it fired right up!

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
      That is some significant progress you made and seems to be a much safer car now too!!! Nice work!!
      Thanks Blair! Still have a bit more work to do but I do feel much safer driving it.
      Last edited by Slamtastic; 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Oh man that is a sweet looking ride, the height is just right.

What're your plans next? Are you keeping the rat-rod exterior?
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
          Oh man that is a sweet looking ride, the height is just right.

What're your plans next? Are you keeping the rat-rod exterior?
          Thanks! The ride height is perfect for me, still an aggressive stance without having to rub on everything.

Definitely keeping the rat look, I just want to clean some more things up, but I'm pretty happy with it so far!

Comment

Wow, nice work. Looks like you saved it from a fiery grave! Did that thing even run before you picked it up?
            Last edited by Tuna; 04-09-2012, 07:49 PM.
            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
              Wow, nice work. Looks like you saved it from a fiery grave! Did that thing even run before you picked it up?
              Yes, it was even being driven on city streets as a daily driver.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

YAY for making this car safe/better!
                I have always been a fan of the small bumper mk2's
                keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                  Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                  Yes, it was even being driven on city streets as a daily driver.
                  Yup it did run, very well actually. The only mechanical things I need to fix are the oil pan and I need to adjust the shifter cables (kind of finicky sometimes)

And yeah some of the the things I found were not daily driver worthy, but I'm glad everything is up to spec now!

Originally posted by slhazy View Post
                  YAY for making this car safe/better!
                  I have always been a fan of the small bumper mk2's
                  keep up the good work!
                  Thanks Sean!

Comment

I'm off, Wed, Thurs, if you want some help...PM me!
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Diving in head first. That's what I like to see. Very cool project keep up the good work.

Comment

Good save and nice work .. another car that the p.o. had before was also saved by a fellow dubber .
                        12 Volvo XC 90
                        03 Jetta1.8T
                        95 Cabrio VRT
                        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Ya I bought a 90 turbo diesel from the same guy and it had bolts missing everywhere, shitty stereo work(also surprised it didn't light up in flames and the fuel turned up so far I'm surprised he didn't kill the engine. But I bought a td mk2 for 500
                          2002 Jetta TDI
                          2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                          1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Looks like you're improving it by miles! It looks so cool on the outside, I love the paint!
                            Levi.W
                            78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                            91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                              I'm off, Wed, Thurs, if you want some help...PM me!
                              I appreciate the offer George! Sadly, anymore tinkering that I want to do is getting put off until I'm done school, but I'll be sure to get in touch if I do anything major.

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post
                              Diving in head first. That's what I like to see. Very cool project keep up the good work.
                              Originally posted by Lars View Post
                              Good save and nice work .. another car that the p.o. had before was also saved by a fellow dubber .
                              Originally posted by Geschwindigkeit View Post
                              Looks like you're improving it by miles! It looks so cool on the outside, I love the paint!
                              Thanks guys!

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
                              Ya I bought a 90 turbo diesel from the same guy and it had bolts missing everywhere, shitty stereo work(also surprised it didn't light up in flames and the fuel turned up so far I'm surprised he didn't kill the engine. But I bought a td mk2 for 500
                              Yeah I'm not one to start anything but some people just shouldn't be working on cars. Scary that that's what the guy does for a living, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X