A taste of whats to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A taste of whats to come...

So I guess its time for my quarterly update lol. Been slowly working away at disassembling the v8 in my garage in order to clean it up and seal it with all new gaskets. Got most of it taken apart, just need to get a solid understanding of the timing of it before I remove the heads. Gonna be deleting the AC while I'm at it as well since I never really use AC in my cars, just open the windows and enjoy the breeze.

So the engine started out like this

Still cant believe this engine will be fitting in that car

and a few pics of its stages of nakedness

Went down to the border this weekend to pick up a few parts for the swap. Thanks to the guys over at Garagistic, they basically make this swap a bolt in procedure by eliminating all the custom fab work that needs to be done. Highly doubt I would be taking on this swap if it wasn't for them!

So I now have the custom engine mounts, custom driveshaft, transmission bracket extensions, a bunch of subframe reinforcements, brake booster delete bracket, custom exhaust manifolds, subframe spacers, and a few other minor bits and pieces needed for the swap. Much excite. I'm still debating with myself whether I want to assemble this engine as is and swap it in or build the M60B44 hybrid and do it all the first time around. Also still on the hunt for a 6 speed transmission for this beast.

So that will help me come summertime when I have the engine put back together and ready to put into the car. Until then, other priorities need to be taken care of. The suspension in the E30 is reaches the end of its life, so it was time for some comfort and some lows. Picked up a set of ground control coilovers that I will be installing shortly. Just need to pick up a bunch of bushings and replace them all at the same time. These coilovers look great and I know first hand that the ride quality on them is amazing. Cant wait for them to be in.

So with that, there will be a lot of work to do this spring with both the car and the engine. I know once the weather warms up i'll have much more motivation to spend my time in the garage. Also a little Xmas gift from the wife (thanks to a special someone on this forum), which is another huge motivator to get this car finished in show quality style.
    Last edited by P Arkus; 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM.
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I absolutely loved the car as it was..but with this transplant.... Even MOAR....can't wait Pat!!!
      Last edited by Geobmx4life; 02-08-2015, 07:46 PM.
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Nice to see this progress, I am very excited to see it all come together!!
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Thanks for the update Pat. Can't wait to see this completed!!
          --
          Rod
          Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
          2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Ohh fancy!!
            TJ
            '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
            '01 Silver S4

Comment

Can't wait for this to come all together. Love the V8! My mother used to call me special!

Comment

Looks awesome pat!
                Which coilovers are those??
                ~~TODD~~
                '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Thanks guys. Coilovers are Ground Control Street Touring kit
                  Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

What spring rates?
                    Did you take into account for the extra weight from the v8?
                    Last edited by T-Dubbs; 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM.
                    ~~TODD~~

Comment

I'm not a BMW guy but love the look. What hp and tq are you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dubbs View Post
                        What spring rates?
                        Did you take into account for the extra weight from the v8?
                        Iron block automatic 6 to a aluminum block 8 + stick may be a wash in the end.
                        Last edited by bobkatkat; 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Basically Bob is on the money. With the aluminum block of the V8, I will gain an extra 30lbs. Removing the AC, the ABS and a few other things in the engine bay put me back at the same weight, with an advantage of having the weight pushed more towards the back. The only real gain in weight is the transmission as it will be about 50lbs heavier, however again in a good spot as all the extra weight will be in the center of the car. But I went with 440F and 650R spring rates. I spoke quite a bit about this swap with ground control and looked at what others did with v8 swaps to determine that this will be the best set up for my needs.

As for power goals, the stock motor is 282HP and 295ft/lb, and aparently quite underrated. With the hybrid build, there hasnt been anyone on a dyno yet but most say you could expect about 320 and 320. Either way, i'm sure i'll be more than happy with whatever power the car has once its drivable.
                          Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Bad ass build!
                            ~~TODD~~

Comment

I'm all in for this. This is gonna be saweeet
                              2004 Jetta TDI Sport-Daily
                              2002 Jetta 1.8T(stg2)-Wifey
                              1983 RabbitLS- Dirty Diesel

Comment

Looks like you've got an ASC+T intake elbow on there. Will you switch that out for the non-ASC+T version to keep things simple?

While you've got the engine out, pull the oil pan to make sure you don't have loose oil pump bolts. It's a really common problem on M60s - I had 5 or 6 bolts completely backed out sitting in the pan at 250k kms.

Also, dyno information for M60B44 hybrid here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...for-the-M60B44
                                Eddy

1995 540iT/6 Technoviolet
                                2004 W8 Wagon 6MT Pacific Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X