A taste of whats to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A taste of whats to come...

Did you loosen the axle bolt before you dropped the subframe?

Either way, once that bolt is out you just need to unbolt the axles from the diff and they should slide right out of the hubs.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Saw a brown/gold color e30 with 2jz, sounded so good. What are the big affordable swaps for the e30?

Comment

An AEB 20v 1.8t, obvs...
        http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-conte...-2-800x533.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-conte...-4-800x533.jpg

Source:
        [URL="http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/06/the-kids-are-alright-fitted-lifestyle-toronto/"]http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/06/...style-toronto/[/URL]
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Thanks PRY4SNO, Got the axles out last night. Didnt think to loosen them before removing the subframe, but managed to get them off pretty easily with an air gun. As for affordable swaps, there are numerous ones. That one posted above with the 20V turbo is actually quite rare (so awesome though). Only thing I hate is the fact he put a bmw badge on the engine. Dont fake it, be proud of whats powering your motor. Anyways, the most common swaps are the 24V BMW motors (E36 and E46 M3 engines), and for V8's its the bmw 540i & M5 motors, any GM LS motor, and the ford 302 motors. A couple people have 2JZ's but they are not as common as the others it seems.
          Patryk
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

So as most of you know, I had Laser Eye Surgery a few weeks ago which has kept me out of the garage. Unfortunately progress has been very slow due to this, but as I was away others were doing work for me. Had a buddy in Edmonton reinforce the subframes and rear trailing arms, and then powdercoat the subframes, RTA's, brake shields and my custom engine mounts. It looks incredible and now I feel like the torque of the V8 wont destroy the car! Also got the Toe/Camber Adjustment kit welded in!

Dumb thing I did was I should have given him the front brake shields as well to powdercoat but i'll just have to get that done separately I think. Either way i'm stoked.

This weekend will be an Audi fixing weekend as I need to get that car back up and running, but after that I plan to go hard again on the E30. Leavenworth was a HUGE inspiration to get my sh!t in gear and get her finished. Hoping to keep the updates going steadily from this point!
            Last edited by P Arkus; 06-25-2015, 09:50 AM.
            Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

So its been a while since my last update. Lost a bunch of time and money when the Audi broke down and I needed to fix it, and after fixing that, I honestly lost a lot of motivation to be working in the garage on the E30. Just needed a break from the cars for a bit. But thanks to a friend providing me with a tip about a E39 540i 6speed at pick n pull, I decided to go check it out. Went to the junkyard and the transmission was still there so I got to workin again. Dropped the exhaust and driveshaft so I could have better access to all the bolts on the transmission and allow it to drop a bit. Unbolted all the bolts until I got to the top ones which were almost unaccessible. I needed 5 extensions to get to them. Got the first one but the second just wouldn't grab no matter what I did. Took a picture and found this...

So that was a good few hours waster to leave the wreckers without a transmission (not to mention almost breaking my thumb in the process). I left pissed off but being stubborn and cheap, I was determined to get that transmission. Went back sunday with Danny, Eric and Roberto so we could pull the whole engine out and I would deal with the transmission then. This was a fun day. We pulled the engine in an hour, and I was able to hammer on an Etorx bit and get that damn screw out. Huge thanks to those guys for helping me out with this!

So now I have the last huge piece of the puzzle in my garage. Spent some time today cleaning it all up.

Also managed to find an ECU from a 94 540. I have the ECU from the car I pulled the engine from, but that car was a 95 which means the ECU had EWS which is the security system. Would not be able to make it work without changing the locks and ignition and didn't wanna deal with it.

Also sent out my exhaust manifolds to top gun coatings to get titanium ceramic coated. Love the way they turned out

So I can say I got my motivation back and will be going strong again on this. Also what really helped my motivation is the fact that these transmission go anywhere from 800-1500 bucks, and I managed to snag this one for a whopping $180. Now at least I have some money saved for other parts I will surely need!

Stay tuned for the next update hopefully coming soon!
              Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Congrats pick'n pull is great for good deals if you know what you're looking for.

Comment

Damn nice!
                  Current Fleet
                  #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786
                  1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                  2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                  2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post

Comment

Small unexpected update. Found a good deal on Kijiji for these bad boys so I picked them up today.

They are Recaro SR3's from a Mitsubishi Evo IV. Will need to make custom brackets for them to fit the E30 and then have them and my E30 M3 rear seats and doorcards custom reupholstered. Hoping to get that done over winter time.
                      Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Nice find! Pieces are falling into place.

Comment

niiice pat
                          ~~TODD~~
                          '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Progressing nicely!!
                            Blair
                            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

So finally a progress update. After dropping my fuel tank to get a leak fixed (needed a new o-ring in the fuel pump), I replaced one of the lines at the top of the tank too as it was in bad shape. I decided to POR15 the fuel tank to prevent it from rusting in the future and me having to drop it again. First time using POR15 but already I love this stuff. Its rock hard once its cured and it leaves a nice finish with very little prep work needed. Here's the fuel tank right before I mounted it back up.

Over the winter I had all my bushing and end links replaced with new OEM ones, figured its a good WYIT task. This weekend I got busy and started putting the front subframe and suspension part back in, so I got it all bolted up. Also POR15'd the front sway bar brackets that attaches to the control arms as they were in rough shape. Put E36 tie rod ends on my Rackdoktor Z3 2.7LTL steering rack and bolted that up. Then I tackled the front H&R Sway bar. This was a huge PITA as there is a tab there that prevents the bushing from sitting flat. Not knowing how to get around this, I trimmed the bottom part of the bushing (still quite a bit left and the bushing is compressed pretty tight), but I might end up doing the IE sway bar mount kit and replacing the bushings if I find the car doesnt drive the way I want it to. Either that or I will grind that tab down to ensure it mounts flat like it should. Then I installed the front Ground Control coilvers and buttoned it all up.

Today I spent getting my rear subframe put back together. Put the diff cover back on after replacing the mount, topped her up and bolted her on. Got the axles on the car too, so just need to mount it back up to the body.

Hoping to get it all put in tomorrow so I can throw some wheels on it and roll it into the center of the garage for more space. At that point i'll work on putting the brakes on the car. Even though I will be running all new brake lines, I want to at least make the car available for the dollies so I can move it around.

Got alot left to do though. Engine pieces are currently out for paint, then come early mark the car will be going to a shop to get some custom fab work done (Removable Rad Support). I figure trying to lift a V8 + 6speed tranny is gonna be a nightmare without this, and i'm sure i'll be pulling the engine more than once. In the meantime i'm hoping to rip the carpet out of the car and explore a few ways to turn it black, whether that means dying it or getting an upholstery shop to make me one based on my mold.

Either way, things are progressing and since the weather is slowly getting nicer here and the days are longer, the motivation is coming back.
                              Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

It's coming along nicely, can't wait to see it done!
                                2003 Volkswagen Jetta Gli
                                2009 Audi S5

Instagram : Adrian.Cocis

Comment

Working...
                                X