From China with Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: From China with Love

Accident occurs around 2min40s. Video evidence that I got rear ended on Balaclava street and SW Marine drive around 3-3:30PM on March 27, 2016. The date and time of the video is wrong due to dash cam setup. I got rear ended by a BCAA GMC truck and got pushed into the silver Ford Ranger in front of me. My car is a blue Volkswagen Jetta but I have an aftermarket carbon fibre hood which is why the hood of my car in the video is black. This video is posted for future insurance claim purposes.
    Last edited by kujiwara; 03-29-2016, 02:40 PM.
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
      This was what I thought about right after the accident, the 2.8 24v 4motion is actually very common but I don't really want one for a few reasons.
      1. There are two for sale in BC already, 40k and 70k km, one wants 12k the other wants 13k, I'm not gonna pay for more than let say the cleanest GLI which is around 10k.
      2. The swap is quite a bit more money and work involved than I want right now. The ECU will need to be sent to UM again for a 4 oxygen sensor file instead of 2, the entire exhaust system need to be remade, the GLI rear brakes need new brackets, I need bora 4motion coilovers... I can already see over 5k usd of cost here..

3. BIGGEST reason is because of emotions and memories related to this car, Im just not ready to move on to another jetta any time soon. I totalled one jetta already, the moment i saw what it was like I knew it physically couldn't be fixed, front bent left, floor bent up and windshield cracked, and the car won't even start. This time the only thing holding this car back to be fixed is the repair cost will most likely exceed the value of the car, they will fix this on a new car with no hassles usually, and I have a very strong sense of repairing things if I can instead of replacing. I even drove the car home from the accident and it drove fine and straight. Surely it'll cost less to get another cheap jetta to swap things into but it wouldn't be like this one. Friends were like "The car would never drive the same or corner the same again", yeah I know but I don't care that much, if it drives and turns I'm fine with it, it's a jetta it won't corner better than a mazda 3 anyways. I could go on for days, but I'm sure you guys get what I mean by now, the car isn't dead and I love it so I'll fix it.
      All i hear is excuses on why you don't want to make your project icreate even better.

It evolved once from your silver jetta to this blue GLI, take it one stage further this time. We know how you love to push the limits, this is the perfect time to do it. Find a cheaper one to import, one with higher KMs on the engine or something wrong with the engine which causes the price to go down but still be able to be imported. Base model shouldn't be a problem for you, you can swap literally every item you have into the shell.

And guess what, it would handle better than a mazda 3 when you are done with it

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
        All i hear is excuses on why you don't want to make your project icreate even better.

It evolved once from your silver jetta to this blue GLI, take it one stage further this time. We know how you love to push the limits, this is the perfect time to do it. Find a cheaper one to import, one with higher KMs on the engine or something wrong with the engine which causes the price to go down but still be able to be imported. Base model shouldn't be a problem for you, you can swap literally every item you have into the shell.

And guess what, it would handle better than a mazda 3 when you are done with it
        I'll think about it, I guess I have a few months in summer to find a bora for a better price if I really can't fix this mexican juan, I'm visiting sweden and germany in a month to pick up a xc90, maybe i can try to pick a bora while I'm there. Does anyone have experience importing car form europe? I'll probably go with a jdm one at the end considering the mileage.
        Last edited by kujiwara; 03-29-2016, 05:36 PM.
        Current Fleet
        2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
          I'll think about it, I guess I have a few months in summer to find a bora for a better price if I really can't fix this mexican juan, I'm visiting sweden and germany in a month to pick up a xc90, maybe i can try to pick a bora while I'm there. Does anyone have experience importing car form europe? I'll probably go with a jdm one at the end considering the mileage.
          Details on the 90 !
          12 Volvo XC 90
          03 Jetta1.8T
          95 Cabrio VRT
          90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
            Details on the 90 !
            My parents ordered a pearl white xc90 inscription fully loaded to replace the gl550, I'm picking it up with my mom on april 28th from sweden and gonna drive it around for a few days before my summer school starts in ubc again. definitely gonna document the trip as I've never been to europe.
            Current Fleet
            2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Regardless of this car will be fixed or not, I really want the next stage to be orange. Anyone know of some good orange paint codes? I really don't like the VW oranges

Audi Samoa orange

Honda Imola orange

BMW Valencia orange

Mercedes Sunset Beam
              Current Fleet
              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Check out @Tarlentino on instagram. Has a very nice orange wrapped mk4.

If you are going for paint, 100% glut orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
                  Check out @Tarlentino on instagram. Has a very nice orange wrapped mk4.

If you are going for paint, 100% glut orange.
                  Damn! That's a nice suggesion, didn't think wrap can look that good in orange. Looks like a mk4 Fahrenheit edition
                  Current Fleet
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

My vote is for Ford Molten Orange Tri-Coat

Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
                    ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
                    PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Go big or go home.

Lamborghini Arancio Atlas/Borealis

Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

I really like the arancios altas on the diablos so I probably fb go with that
                        Current Fleet
                        2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Since my friend works at a icbc approved body shop I took my car to them and asked icbc for an express estimate so I don't have to wait for one month for an estimate. Just got this message this morning:

"Hi Jerry, just got off the phone with the MD manager. We got 2 choices and you can either keep your appointment with ICBC or we can ask them to allow us to access the claim to do the basic estimate. All we can do is note down that you have $25000 receipts and they will run some numbers and see if they can fix the car for you. They normally don’t cover $25000 of modifications unless you bought extra insurance coverage as the basic one is only covers $5000. If they don’t provide enough money for you to fix the car you still are able to pull the modification parts off the car. Let me know if you want to keep you ICBC appointment or get me to send in something for you?"

I chose the second choice since it'll be easier for me to deal with and maybe, just maybe there's a way we can work around the system such as they write the estimate lower than the actual estimate so the car doesn't get written off and I pay for the extra.

What are you guys' opinion on that $5000 rule? Because I'm Alberta insurance and it's the icbc client's fault would this rule still apply to me?
                          Last edited by kujiwara; 04-05-2016, 10:35 AM.
                          Current Fleet
                          2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Well is $5000 the KBB (or equivalent) value of a standard OEM GLI with that many kms? That is what i would think they are getting that $5000 number from. If that is what you had insured then that is all they will pay out, and if you didn't expressly indicate that the car is HEAVILY modified then they would assume that it is a stock vehicle. $25,000 in receipts probably won't get you anything in this case. It's all fine and dandy that you have them, but none of it was reported to insurance and paid for in typically more expensive premiums.

EDIT: That being said, even if they say you can pull off your modifications how far would that go. You aren't going to go taking out the entire motor because you consider it a modification and have receipts for it. You can't take off the skirts and lips. You can't take off the headlights or seats. This might get messy because they aren't going to give you a month to buy stock items to put back in it.
                            Last edited by MechEngg; 04-05-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

My estimator already saw the car and knows its one off. The 5000 thing, he means at most $5000 extra on top of the car's value for mods if I only have basic ICBC coverage, but the issue is that I'm not even with ICBC that the 5000 mod thing may not apply. If they're writing it off I'll buy it back. Worst case if they don't let me buy it back, i have a few good friends here in vancouver with engine cranes and the car will get stripped in a few days, if they want to argue that i stripped too much for them we can go to court and they won't want to pay for anyone to go to court for a 12year old jetta that they'll just crush anyways.
                              Current Fleet
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

When I hit a car on the highway with a lady frieds GTX, the insurance wanted to pay her $600 for it (89 VW jetta doesnt have much value haha) But We just finished painting the car Porsche blue, It was a GTX, Great shape, tons of Modifications, and She stated that if they could get her a similar car with their $600 she would take that car, We scoured Kijiji ads and auto trader ads and gave about 10 examples to the insurance company for a similar car without fresh paint and they were between 2500-5500. They settled on a fair market value and gave her close to 5K if I remember correctly. That was an Alberta Insurance company though.
                                Current toys
                                2011 Tiguan 4mo, APR stage 1, lowered on 20x10.5" wheels (daily)
                                1989 Mustang 5L Cobra Clone, GT40X motor, 70MM turbo setup. (in the garage)
                                1982 VW caddy (Project)
                                1985 VW mk1 Convertible VR6 soon??? (Keepsake)
                                1990 VW mk2 GTI, UPDATE Soon to have my turbo 434.97WHP, 445WTQ motor (backburner)
                                1970 Mercedes benz w108, Baby blue on air(Sunday cruiser)
                                1992 VW Doka (parts hauler)
                                2002 Chevrolet 1 ton dually crewcab 4x4 Duramax (Toy hauler)

Comment

Working...
                                X