• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: From China with Love

Originally posted by syncrovan View Post
    I think he got the H1 model here:
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...1-stage-3.html

Hopefully this is the right one, all measurement are at the bottom.
    Yup that's exactly what I have, and they etched for me as well. I'll put them in whenever I can get my car back from the body shop. They're pulling the frame and Re painting again...
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
      Those look great!

Would you mind measuring those? They look like they may be a viable alternative to the $$$ B5 RS4 fog lights that I'm in need of.
      Diameter of the edge of the lens would be good, if you can get it.
      I would recommend you looking at the morimoto fog lights sold through Prolightz, they're the Canadian distributor of morimoto and you'll save a lot of money, they don't etch lens but they do have everything else
      Current Fleet
      2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Agreed, don't use these for fog lights, terrible idea. Look for fully sealed dedicated fog lights, their bowl shape is quit a bit different and so is the cutoff

Comment

I realized after I posted that these were projectors, that's what I get for skimming photos lol.

Thanks for the info though!

Comment

• Retrofit? Not so easy. Retrofit Part 1.

With lots of homework done on how to retrofit, I've begun the retrofitting on Sunday, everything seemed promising in the beginning, then everything went messy, particularly because everyone on the internet retrofit these bolt-on morimotos(Supposedly minimal to no mods into H7 and H4 housings) into H7 and H4 REFLECTOR housings, not the reflectors of an existing projector. Why? Due to optics a projectors reflectors is much smaller in dimension than a normal reflector housing light. So, many many things were chopped.

Step 1: Pull car to garage door and mark centers of the current lights, then pull back 7.62m and check beam alignment. If everything is good, mark everything of the old setup on the wall.

Step 2: Remove front end and lights, remove all bulbs and wiring from light, pre heat oven to 250F.

Step 3: While the oven is warming up, test the new light setup's wiring and bulb(morimoto H1 elite, 35W ballast, bixenon flaps) , then store in a safe area.

Step 4: Put one light directly on the oven rack, then remove after 18min.

Step 5: Pop out all retaining pins, then pry the lens off with a large flat blade driver. Make sure the glue doesn't get onto the chrome housing and bezel. Then pull off the bezel.

Step 6: Unthread the adjusters, and unhook the bottom ball joint to remove the chrome housing from the main housing.

Step 7: In the following order, remove the low beam shroud, oe projector, and the reflector/carrier.

Step 8: Try to fit the new projector assembly into the oe reflector/carrier. Make sure it doesn't fit.

Step 8.1: Enlarge the oe bulb hole to allow the threading on the new assembly to go through. I used a dremel and Tungsten Carbide bit.

Step 8.2: Cheer that the shaft can almost go in the hole, then you realize the half of the oe reflector is in the way, so chop that. Also make a small hole on the bottom for the plug(bixenon flap) to go in.

Step 8.3: Become excited that the shaft can now enter the hole all the way, then you realize more stuff on the back of the housing is preventing the nut from going onto the shaft. Get your hand ready and remove more material, namely the oe bulb seat, bulb retaining spring.

Step 8.4: Put the shaft deep into the hole along with the rubber ring, install the H7 adapter, and put the nut on. Just finger tight for now, because the beam rotational alignment need to be adjusted later.

Step 9: Now that the retrofit is part of the oe carrier, you can screw it back on to the chrome housing only to realize the whole projector is too big and you gotta trim more stuff. Trim where necessary.

Step 10: Repeat everything for the other side.

Comparison photo:

More to come. Potentially I would have to space the carrier and projector assembly backwards since the new assembly is a bit longer than the oe assembly, also have to trim the old and new shrouds to cover all the trim work. I will also be replacing BAY9s euro city lights with NA Golf R32 W5w, splicing the bixenon wiring into the oe high beam, installing demon eyes and splicing into city light wiring.
            Current Fleet
            2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

• Re: Retrofit? Not so easy. Retrofit Part 1.

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
              Step 8.2: Cheer that the shaft can almost go in the hole
              Step 8.3: Become excited that the shaft can now enter the hole all the way
              Step 8.4: Put the shaft deep into the hole along with the rubber ring
              Step 9: Trim where necessary.
              Step 10: Repeat everything for the other side.
              Didn't know this what THAT type of tutorial...
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                Didn't know this what THAT type of tutorial...
                Lol

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                  With lots of homework done on how to retrofit, I've begun the retrofitting on Sunday, everything seemed promising in the beginning, then everything went messy, particularly because everyone on the internet retrofit these bolt-on morimotos(Supposedly minimal to no mods into H7 and H4 housings) into H7 and H4 REFLECTOR housings, not the reflectors of an existing projector. Why? Due to optics a projectors reflectors is much smaller in dimension than a normal reflector housing light. So, many many things were chopped.
                  Thanks for the tutorial.

Not sure if I'll be lucky with reflector as the projector I ordered are even bigger but again, the light output you'll get out ofit will be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by syncrovan View Post
                    Thanks for the tutorial.

Not sure if I'll be lucky with reflector as the projector I ordered are even bigger but again, the light output you'll get out ofit will be worth it.
                    I'm sure the end result would be worth it, I would recommend you trying the nut and bolt method or the epoxy method because for the amount of time I'm currently spending on this project it's pretty much the same as those and arguably less complicated and more precise methods.
                    Current Fleet
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Velocity Upholstry got these refreshed for me in less than 2 weeks, yesterday was my birthday and he finished them today! It's an awesome surprise and coincidence! Mk7 GTE plaid, I'm just glad my butt won't be frozen in winter nor on fire in summer now!

Last edited by kujiwara; 03-02-2017, 01:06 AM.
                      Current Fleet
                      2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Awesome!!! And Happy Birthday!!
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Happy belated birthday, Jerry! Those seats look great!
                          Scott
                          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Thanks guys!
                            Current Fleet
                            2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Very nice man!
                              Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                              -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                              -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Happy Birthday Jerry.
                                Seats look pretty nice. I need to ask because as you know search isn't easy here, was it done in Calgary or Vancouver?
                                Just bought some suede material in Guangzhou and thinking about doing the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X