• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: From China with Love

It's cool man. I usually from 6th to reverse with no clutch
    Dylan

Comment

Just some helpful advice here, but the reason you only get 360km/tank could be due to the fact that you are under revving the engine if you always drive around in 6th. Just remember that lower rev's does not equal lower fuel consumption EXCEPT when cruising at a constant speed under constand load (no hills, flat road only). In the city it would be ridiculous to hit 6th all the time, hard on the engine, hard on the clutch, hard on your wallet, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
        I live my life from zero-speed limit at a time. 1,2,6 is usually how i shift in the city. PS granny shift.

They put 3,4,5 in the transmission from factory for a reason I believe...
        12 Volvo XC 90
        03 Jetta1.8T
        95 Cabrio VRT
        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
          Just some helpful advice here, but the reason you only get 360km/tank could be due to the fact that you are under revving the engine if you always drive around in 6th. Just remember that lower rev's does not equal lower fuel consumption EXCEPT when cruising at a constant speed under constand load (no hills, flat road only). In the city it would be ridiculous to hit 6th all the time, hard on the engine, hard on the clutch, hard on your wallet, etc.
          Thanks for the advice! I never knew that, because in china the taxi drivers say the lower the rev the lower the fuel consumption... What rev should i keep the engine at? 2000ish?
          Current Fleet
          #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
          2001 Cobra #88/3786
          1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
          2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
          2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
            They put 3,4,5 in the transmission from factory for a reason I believe...
            Ahh... When i accelerate quickly from a light, I skip a few gears, usually when there's a hill.
            Current Fleet
            2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Well, I sometimes skip 3,4,5 because they aren't really needed when going down or up hills. I hold the clutch for quite a long time when i skip gears.
              you must reving up the engine in 2nd to like 90000000000000million rpm and then shifting to 6th lol... someone needs to teach you to drive stick properly.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I never knew that, because in china the taxi drivers say the lower the rev the lower the fuel consumption... What rev should i keep the engine at? 2000ish?
                6000 plus only
                Derek
                01 GTI -cammed+stroked
                06 gmc - duramax
                11 Touareg
                Can am renegade 800

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
                  you must reving up the engine in 2nd to like 90000000000000million rpm and then shifting to 6th lol... someone needs to teach you to drive stick properly.
                  I skip gears because I accelerated to fast. Like 4000rpm in the city. But after Sean gave me the advice I probably just skip 3rd in the city if i accelerated fast. I learned how to drive a manual when I was 13.... In gran turismo 5 with a wheel.......LOL
                  Current Fleet
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

okay... even though there is so much fail going on. ill help you out. like sean says, lower rpm does not mean better fuel economy. the trick to getting lots of kms on a tank is keeping a light foot. dont be mashing your foot on the accelerator yelling VTEEEEEECCCCCC!!!!!. if you would like to get good fuel economy. keep your revs in between 2000rpm and 3000rpm. anywhere in that range should do just fine. the harder you put your foot down, the mroe gas you will use.

Comment

I typically refrain from taking lessons from Chinese taxi drivers.
                      Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Drove the car for about 4000km now after a year, decided to replace the ignition stuff. Found out five rusty plugs, 2 different colors of coilpack... I don't think there's anything wrong with the engine, but I'm a noob, so can you guys analyze my plugs?

Current Fleet
                        2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Every different style of engine is slightly different.

For the 1.8t engine i shift so that the next gear engages around 2500rpms usually, so that means i shift at just over 3000rpms usually. This keeps enough power in your engine to move the car forward at a decent speed with using the least amount of fuel. As for cruising in a gear, i keep it between 2400-3000rpms usually, that way you have a bit of power when you have any hills that you come across and you aren't flooring the gas pedal to try and keep a constant speed up the hill. The only speed i find that is tricky to match those rpms with a 6 speed is 60km/h, you are out of that range no matter if you are in 3rd or 4th. Then i think ahead, if the road is going to require lots of loading of the engine, i use 3rd; if the road is quite smooth and there is no changes in speed in the near future, i use 4th. If i'm not sure, i usually go 4th until i come across something.

Again just use some common sense, maybe do a bit of research into the VR6 engine and see what people usually like, or try out different things for yourself

Comment

I hear the tuna's good here...
                            Scott
                            '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                            '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by saabhutter View Post
                              I typically refrain from taking lessons from Chinese taxi drivers.
                              R.O.R

Drove the car for about 4000km now after a year, decided to replace the ignition stuff. Found out five rusty plugs, 2 different colors of coilpack... I don't think there's anything wrong with the engine, but I'm a noob, so can you guys analyze my plugs?

White tipped spark plugs usually indicate that the engine is running lean or really hot. The engine creates more heat when it is required to put out more load. More loading on the engine occurs when you are going up hills or when you are trying to maintain speed/accelerate in a not so suitable gear. How is the tip of the exhaust? Is it coated in black soot?

It is hard to tell for sure from the picture but give this a read for some information: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Comment

The exhaust tip is fairly clean, never polished or cleaned on purpose, looks like a thin layer of water mark and very little black stuff(nail size). Most likely due to moisture in the morning and the 200km of city driving in 6th gear. thanks!
                                Current Fleet
                                2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                                X