My Ginster Mk3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Ginster Mk3

RE:Rear brakes. Are they combination brake and e-brake? If so did you properly turn in the piston while compressing?

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
      RE:Rear brakes. Are they combination brake and e-brake? If so did you properly turn in the piston while compressing?
      Yup, theyre the same as mk4 calipers. I rebuilt them before installing them using the proper tools.

Visually they look fine, im suspecting (hoping) that it has something to do with the fact that the ebrake cable "auto adjusts" the caliper? I havnt had a chance to get new ebrake cables yet.
      Last edited by GingerBeef; 02-20-2015, 11:21 AM.
      Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
      ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
      PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Quick mini update, finished up the MSD a few minutes ago.. forgot to plug in cylinder 4, my bad... everythings running smooth now!

Car sounds pretty badass haha, according to the interwebs i can now gap my spark plugs a little bigger, gonna play around with it.
        Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Turns out my speedo sensor was somehow missing... got a new one and put it in. Success.

But... small problem today, threw a CEL. P1580 (throttle body b1 malfunction) tomorrow ill try resetting my ECU, and ive also read to try to realign my throttle body, but if im not wrong i believe i need VAG-com to do that.

On another note, in the last few days my cars refused to idle properly only on the first start. If i hold the rpm at 1k for 1-2 mins itll be fine. Im assuming its related to this code?
          Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

You have a cable throttle I don't think you can align it with vagcom
            Current Fleet
            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
            2001 Cobra #88/3786
            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

OBD1 cannot be adapted by vagcom but OBD2 can. I forget which one yours is.
              Mitch

1996 Harlequin
              2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Originally posted by Mcrow View Post
                OBD1 cannot be adapted by vagcom but OBD2 can. I forget which one yours is.
                Its a 97, OBD2 (thank god) Also Mitch, do you remember how tilted your engine sat? Mines slightly tilted lower towards the drivers side... i heard thats normal, but if you had a pic that would be sweet.
                Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Yeah I recall it sitting like that. It's sitting on stage 1 mounts IIRC. Here's a bad photo of it:
                  Mitch

1996 Harlequin
                  2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

So, finally buckled up all the small things, brakes work great now, i missed the part where you have to spam your ebrake up and down 20 times after putting in new brakes.. oops. Oh well, wasnt in a rush due to the weather, and im extremely proud to say that ive never taken this car to a shop yet

Cold start issues sorted.. well.. actually it just kinda went away. Oh well, ill call that fixed. Ripped around for the first time since September and man, do i miss that sound... anyways, sucks that i had to miss the monthly meet, i hope to see you all soon on a Sunday

Last edited by GingerBeef; 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM.
                    Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Glad to see it sorted and on the road!!!
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Hmmm... Havnt updated this is a long time. Ive pretty much just been enjoying the car, loving every moment of it. Ive put on about 2000kms since the rebuild, glad to see everything's held up! (so far) I had a bit of an uh-oh when my cv joint seized and snapped my axle in half (lesson learnt, do not ignore scrapey crunchy noises coming from the wheel area folks!) So yeah, the whole axle thing kinda sucked, lost my car for about a week waiting on parts/trying to find motivation to reaplce an axle, but luckily my friend lent me his Supra for the week.

Not too much has changed with the car, changed the VW logos from chrome to a brushed aluminum, put on some new tail lights at some point (still unsure whether i prefer them to the smoked ones or not) but most importantly a few nights ago i picked up a new set of wheels! The rims are ESM 009s, 16x7.5 up front, and 16x9 in the back. One had a really light curb scuff on the lip just covered that up with a dab of model paint for the time being lol. Youd probably never know if i didn't tell you. Either way, the deal was wayyyyy too good to pass up, so i just had to grab em. Now that these are on, ill have to agree with what was said earlier on in the thread. I think 16s are prime on a Mk3. Ive never actually seen many modified Mk3s in person so i didnt have a huge in person comparison of what size wheels look best, but man, do these wheels make a big difference with the look of the car!

Future plans: Gotta do a bit more fender work in the rear so i can drop the car overall about an inch or so. Also thinking about refinishing the rims, i quite like the matte black in person, but with all that black there it just kind of looks like a black hole in photos. Im thinking of spraying them the same gunmetal the Audi TT Ronals were because my GTI and VR6 badges are colour matched to them. Maybe with a polished (or Ginster?) lip? Let me know what you guys think! Ill be working on some of the little details in the next few weeks in preparation for Driven, stay tuned!

Anyways, here are some random pics i took since the last update. Sort of a little timeline i suppose.

Last edited by GingerBeef; 05-13-2015, 05:37 PM.
                        Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Those wheels look pretty badass on the yellow mk3. Keep enjoying it. Can you run a little less stretch at the rears or would the tires rub a bit? Would look bossy with wider rear tires
                          sigpic
                          Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
                          ex MK6 Golf R RB
                          ex MK6 GTI CSG
                          ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
                          ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Originally posted by Spooling_turbos View Post
                            Those wheels look pretty badass on the yellow mk3. Keep enjoying it. Can you run a little less stretch at the rears or would the tires rub a bit? Would look bossy with wider rear tires
                            Thanks Eddy!

Thats a good question actually, at the moment, my rear tires are already getting shredded a bit, but theres alot more fender rolling that could be done. I do want to lower the car just a bit more though so im not too sure i can up the tire width at all. Most mk3 owners seem to be running this tire size (or even thinner) on 16x9s. Im personally not the biggest fan of extreme stretch, but this isnt too aggressive and i dont really want to buy new tires so im just gonna roll with it for now haha.
                            Jason

---Samuel Moore

Comment

Car looks amazing on the new wheels, they suit a MK3 so well, I love it!!!!!!!
                              Blair
                              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Those looks really good with the yellow and textured trim. Nice choice!
                                Last edited by Fizzo20; 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM.
                                -Faraaz

Comment

Working...
                                X